Missing Thread on 348 | FerrariChat

Missing Thread on 348

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Jim Riggs, Feb 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jim Riggs

Jim Riggs Karting

Jan 25, 2004
    Hey guys, I need a little help. I remember seeing a thread that contained several diagrams showing where to lift a 348. I have done several searches, but cannot find it. Anyone out there have that link or another? Thanks!

2. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Here are the pics. HTHs.

3. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    IMO, I don't recommend lifting the front from the trunk area. I know it can be done, it can also easily damage that area.

Lifting at the gearbox frame area with a block of wood is great for rear only access, a quick spin around the garage and helping to place on a lift.

I prefer to utilize the jack point located close to the longitudinal center of gravity (near the door's trailing edge), lift one side entirely, then place stands on the frame just behind the front wheel, or on the frame between the lower control arm pick-up points. Then, for the rear, the area in the photo is fine, I prefer the frame inboard and slightly ahead of the rear wheel centerline.

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Very nice! Anyone with similar images for 308/328s?

5. Jim Riggs

Jim Riggs Karting

Jan 25, 2004
    Rob-
    Thanks for your precise description. I should be able to find everything once I drive my F-car up on some lumber to get some additional clearance. Anyone out there have some photos of the lifting and jackstand points that Rob has IDed? Thanks to all. Jim

6. ricrain

ricrain Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Dallas Area
    Full Name:
    Ric
    WHOA! I recommend you don't lift from the center of the rear cross member as shown in the picutre. I've seen a number of 348's (including mine!) with this cross member bent by up to 15mm. Use the main rail on either side.

7. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Guys this isn't my car. I posted the pics from the previous thread. Thanks. Please inform the poster of the original pics.

8. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    I was the poster in the previous thread and the pics are of my car. I also made it abundantly clear that it wasn't the only way and that I'm not a pro mechanic - was just trying to help out a fellow owner when nobody else was answering. Obviously from the response there must be a better way, so please...post pics (some things are easier to visualize than read) and educate us all.

That having been said, I understand what you mean about not using cross members to lift, the problem is when you lift using the proper jack points, where do you put the jack stands? I also don't like lifting from the side as the chassis will flex. So...what's the alternative?

Thanks,
    Shan

9. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Shan, I am in no way putting it down. I think it is great that you posted them. I thought they were so nice that I saved the pics to my hard drive. Don't be discouraged in anyway. I would rather see pics than someone telling how it is done but with nothing to go on. Please don't let this deter you from your outgoing personality. Thanks for sharing.

10. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    #10 348paul, Feb 17, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I made a crossmember out of 100 x 50 x 4mm RHS with two pads 100 x 100 x 13mm thick welded on the ends. Two pieces of studding that protrude through the top of the crossmember & pad allowing them to locate into the slots in the sub frame. I must have used it 20 times and its solid as a rock.

Hope the pictures explain it better!

Paul
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Jackstands on the A-arms? Unbelieveable!

12. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill

Thanks for the constructive comments :) Notice the jack is still there holding the car up.

I should have known better to post stating "Do not take any notice of the jack stands" :)

Paul

13. Jim Riggs

Jim Riggs Karting

Jan 25, 2004
    Hey Guys-
    Thanks for sharing your approaches. Evidently, Ferrari did not design the 348 for the "shade-tree" mechanic. One would think that there would be standard ways to lift the front end and rear of a 348 for jackstands, but it appears that there are no direct and obvious ways to accomplish this. You have given me some things to think about (e.g., don't use crossmembers because they may bend, etc.), but I'll just have to raise my 348 enough by driving upon some 2"×6" planks to see the under carriage and develop my own approach. Thanks for the ideas. All the best. Jim

14. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Jim, do it one side at a time, not front then rear. It's up in 2.5 minutes this way. Use a piece of wood to cushion the jack, then no damage.

Rob