Crystal Cove Strikes Back! | FerrariChat

Crystal Cove Strikes Back!

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Jet-X, Feb 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The whole thing surrounding Crystal Cove pisses me off. "We're too noisy" who the hell buys a home right behind a shopping center on a major highway and expects quiet? And don't give me that "6am is very early" nonsense, there's a damn Starbucks AND a bakery that are open at 6am, did they think no one would pull in there at that hour?

..and now they want us out until 7am? Sheesh...

What am I proposing to do about it? Well, if they think that keeping us out until 7am will 'cure' the sound noise, I may come down at 6am, and drive between the two stop lights that are between the shopping center at full redline throttle (tubi and test pipes) until 7am. Hit the stoplight, make a u-turn, floor it again until the next stop light.

Maybe for fun I can honk the horn repeatedly too... :D

We'll see if that doesn't change their tune about noise. I've never thought it was noisy in Crystal Cove early in the morning...but I'll show 'em what the result of keeping me out until 7am accomplishes!

2. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    do it all in first gear.

please those suburban b!tches have harleys, do they complain about that noise NO! F^ck orange county

3. 007

007 Guest

Feb 18, 2003
    Scottsdale&LasVegas
    Full Name:
    Brad
    This situation needs to be worked out. I'm sure Pacific Whey and Starbucks don't want to loose the Sat A.M. business. In Scottsdale AZ a large Saturday car gathering has been going on for years and is actually sponsored and organized by the McDonalds in the shopping center. Maybe adjusting official start time to 8 o'clock? What ever it takes. CC is too cool a spot too lose.

4. TheScarletStang

TheScarletStang Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Irvine, California
    Full Name:
    Sean Salter
    I hate it when ppl complain about that stuff.....oh well there are always 2 sides to something when that happens......My Mustang is too loud says many ppl who live near me....i have to let it warm up in the mornings sometimes before i go to work or school and ppl are always *****ing, same ppl too

5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    077 is spot on.
    Crystal cove is such a perfect location(even the wife may come, but only to shop).
    We need to make concessions if needed.

6. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The other merchants aren't likely to like that. They all open 9-10am, and highly doubtful that a) car crowd is going to shop at The Gap and Williams Sonoma on a Saturday morning, and b) it takes away parking from those merchants.

6-9am, there's only two merchants open, and everyone is frequenting these establishments.

7. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Irine company looks hell bent to shut this event down, last weekend the lot was closed off at 8:30 am to any new entrants, and get this, even residents from the homes above leaving the guard gated homes seeking coffee.

Nice, huh, you just lay down $2mm for you wanna be newport condo and put up with burn outs from hot rods from 5 am on and the full throtle rip snorts and then you finally want some coffee around 8:30 am and they lock you out!

They also keep one section of the lot chained off, seems like they might be intentially seeking complaints in order to point the finger at the homeowners for a shut down of the event. (actually pretty shrewd if you're a large land barron.)

Look for a new spot, summer of '04 will do this event in. Too much success,
    !

8. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Brian,
    Don't go getting a ticket to piss anyone off, it will only hurt you.

I spend at least $40 every Saturday at C.C.. Coffe at Starbucks(which has doubled it's staff in the last 2 weeks) and then breakfast with friends at the Whey afterwards. If we are there after 10am (usually) Lana plunks down another $100 at GAP sales.
    I almost got in a fight with one of the security gaurds there 2 weeks ago. I tried to convince him I wanted coffe and he told me I was part of the show. ( I guess the F40 was a give away ) :) Anyway, that place has gotten way outta control. In the past I never worried about my car. Now there are kids running all over the place and leaning on the cars to look inside. The days of double F40's, 2 GTO's and all the models made being side by side are gone...

It has gotten so bad that last week I brought my big loud obnoxious Labs. I was hopeing to have them piss on the PM's golf cart, but she was no where in sight.

Anyway, if you want to get back at them, DON'T GO!! Yea, that's it! Put out flyers that call March "No Crystal Cove month" If you think the PM (property manager) didn't like listening to the home owners, wait untill Starbucks and the Whey ask "Where has all our Saturday costomers gone?"

I was thinking of going to Calabasas on Sunday. If it turns out to be a kick back place, I will gladly make the drive. The canyon run before and after would be a lot of fun. Maybe only go every other week instead of every week.
    Does anyone want to go this Sunday? Contact me if you do.

Rick

9. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    I think we need a change of scenery...

I just revived the "Last Sunday of the Month" thread... maybe we can draw enough interest to do that. Calabasas every sunday is too much of a drive for me, albeit for a free coffee! :)... however, I do think it would be fun to have a "roaming" last sunday breakfast every month. Keep everyone on their toes and keep the interest alive in all parts of so cal w/o having to deal with over-the-top security guards, irate residents, or sitting in lines on PCH trying to get into a public parking lot to have starbuck's every saturday.

FEB 29th - Let's do The Bluffs in Newport Beach (near Bison/MacArthur)
    March - let's try LA
    April - ????

I agree with Rick - Brian, don't do anything foolish to egg them on... this will only encourage one of them to write you up for something unnecessarily. The best solution to all of this may be to just lay low for a while, until all of this just kind of cools down.

LAST SUNDAY OF THE MONTH, guys... c'mon! :)

10. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Jim S, has an interesting alternative in this post below:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8510

I'm up for moving to a different location, as long as it's a nice location. Also, I like the early start time.

Byron,

I am game for breakfast on the 29th.

Dom

11. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Too early for me to schedule it, but I hope I can make it.

To put it bluntly, we need two locations or to pick a centralized spot considerate to those in LA and Ventura counties (not Newport beach, not around Crystal Cove). If two locations, we would benefit from having two coordinators or one person who will be attending both all the time. This person (or individuals) will be responsible for making the reservations and be able to be reached in an on road emergency.

If this becomes a regular get together, to meet up and show face for a few hours and share a meal, the F-cars should not be required. But if you want to stretch their legs, by all means. This is not a car show, it should be a get together amongst friends first and foremost!

My 2 pence,
    Sunny

12. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The only problem with moving location is what makes Crystal Cove appealing is the variety (and the number) of cars that show up on a weekly basis. Yeah, I loooooove Ferraris, but I like other marques too. I'm not an American Muscle car fan, but I do appreciate them, and there's something to be said about having such an eclectic group of cars.

Where else can you see a Fiat Jolly (restored) parked next to an XJ220, parked next to the Batmobile, parked next to an Enzo, and so on...

Additionally, if Crystal Cove is to survive in some capacity, we need to find a place that will accomodate a large number of us, and then spread the word to everyone that attends Crystal Cove. I doubt enough of the participants at Crystal Cove keep up with a roving location.

13. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I agree - I love the variety CC offers.

14. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I have copied and pasted below my comments from the previous thread. This alternative is across the street from the present location. I am working on it. More to come.

"Just a heads up - as you know, management at CC has been trying to push the "car thing" out of their facility. Lots of reasons, but not germaine. Nonetheless, I have spoken with the State Park Rangers and Park management, and they are aware of the issue. Across the street, on the ocean side, is Reef Point. Beautiful spot. Not quite as large a parking area. North about 1/2 mile is Los Trancos parking area, which has 400 spots. I have spoken with them about allowing a catering truck in with high-end coffee and pastries, and we are working through details that are not insurmountable. Looks like it could happen.

I will let everyone know if this is going to happen. I will work with management at CC to put signs up if we are to move it. Your thoughts are appreciated."

Jim S.

15. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I hope CC park allows us to do this. Especially if we can get a "high end" coffee truck, that'll show Crystal Cove/Starbucks/Pac. Whey that having us gone wasn't a smart move.

16. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Tustin Market Place
    Plenty of room over by Buca De Beppo in the a.m.
    It is also very easy for folks to just take the 5 and not have the hassle of the Spectrum parking lot.

El Torito parking lot at the MacArthur offramp of the 405, large lots behind there and the IHOP at Mac and Business Center Drive.

The Hotrod guys do El Toro drive off the 5 in Laguna Hills in the Fuddruckers parkinglot. They do Thursday nights and fill the place.

Seal Beach might be cool if we ask to get part of main street blocked, like 'Ferraris on Rodeo' Being 'beachy' this is almost as good ac CC, but the plus of the cool old town and cobble stones. And it is closer to FerrariBoy :)

17. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I'm up for a "last sunday" (I like Saturday better!) of the month deal.

Sunny, it should be two locations then, and not one. What Byron is talking about is the local "locals" getting together and not an FDC event (correct me if I'm wrong Byron). that's not saying no one from other cities (including as far away as Ventura/San Diego) couldn't come, but since many of us see each other at Crystal Cove, having a get together of our own.

18. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Brian,
    You're spot on. Local f-chatter gatherings. :)
    B.

19. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    The original idea was directed to everyone in the So Cal section. In the message, Byron mentions this could also be held up in LA but there seems to be interest in holding it in OC (from the locals). It was intended for all of us who are friends, not necessarily people who are a part of the FDC. It could be used as a starting point for an event, someday, sure.

Some of you want to have a REGULAR get together and welcome everyone but hold it in OC so the local "locals" don't have to travel. That is the gist I'm reading from some of you.

I would be tickled pink too if a regular event was held in my turf. Remember, my turf consists of SD and LA, so it doesn't matter to me where its held, I will be there if the time of day is not unreasonably early. Mileage for me is not a problem and F-cars should not be expected to be brought out.

Crystal Coves come and go, sometimes taking a long while before they fizzle out. Events like Car Night that have a rotating schedule and bring people, not cars, together in our homes or at favorite hang outs, is what this "could" be. Yes its invitation only, but its been going on for years. Its a rotating party, basically.

Where "WE" can hang out. This isn't a canyon drive we're planning where we are limited to certain geographical regions or areas of road. This can be held anywhere. If you want to hold it in OC and welcome everyone, thats cool, but a little selfish if you ask me.

Sunny

20. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    It could be an issue of not seeing the forest from the trees. Or it could be something minor limited to OC that is receiving a lot of exposure being in the So Cal section.

As Jordan and I were talking over chat, this is about a circle of friends and not a car collection.

The presence of Ferrari at Crystal Cove would not be what it is without F-chat and without friendships made in part through the FDC.

I would feel a lot better getting up at the crack of dawn despite schedule to meet with you, then go to Crystal Cove and have a crap shoot on who will be there, if anyone. I would feel better waking up my g/f and her son to come with if we could find a resonable time, not 6am... or 7am... (hence, the word, travel, ever try to dress a 3 year old and a cranky g/f at 6am or before? not fun).

I'll keep tabs to see what everyone decides they want to do. What happens if the LA or Ventura group get tired of staring at one another and miss you guys and gals in OC county? We start driving, it gets really fun, then people get tired of driving, resent it, and stop showing up. But, you'll still have your core OC group...

Sunny

21. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Sunny's right. I believe this get together is about nothing more than friends...not Ferraris. Ive formed great friendships with the members because of FDC and it would be a pleasure getting together for the sake of seeing each other as friends, not necessarily starting another "car show".

Dont get me wrong, I love Crystal Cove, and it is always a pleasure seeing everyone there...not to mention an absolutely amazing collection of cars...But this event shouldnt be a replacement of Crystal Cove --another
    "car show", only another alternative way of getting together with your buddies. For many guys in the club, its about the people, not the cars.

So in short, my take on this issue is that we start a get together for ALL people of SoCal...an event to hang out as friends, comrades, countrymen (wrong speech?), and car enthusiasts :) All us OC guys live pretty close together, meeting for coffee or lunch is never too hard to do, but getting together with a large group of people representing the whole of FDC will unfortunately take some driving on our parts, but I believe its worth it...So wherever this is, Ill be there! Not just to stare at Ferraris, but to relax with buddies...

Time to take off for school...

22. SAF1

SAF1 Karting

Jun 26, 2003
    OC CA & Bangkok
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Crystal Cove has no legal right to stop us from going there. As long as we buy a coffee or have a breakfast, we have every right to park there as customer. We are no part of any organized group, every body goes there on their own to have a coffee or else, so they can not stop us from going there legally. You tell me if I am right or wrong.... just my opinion..

23. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Unlawful assembly, we need a Ferrari sit-in, all other marques are left out! If you think about it, the median income of the Fchatters there has to be the low 500k/year. Like we are trouble, c'mon. Make it Ferrari only, leave the riff-raff out.

24. SAF1

SAF1 Karting

Jun 26, 2003
    OC CA & Bangkok
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You are right. I believe all those hot rod with loud noise created this mess to begin with. F-cars, P-cars are not that loud.

25. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    There will be an order to disburse for everyone, period. They may understand that certain cars are louder then others. As soon as they discriminate against certain types, some will take it personally. They would rather say it is off limits to all cars and problem solved. All it takes is a Stradale or Enzo or F40 or F50 singing on key and wake up one person and it will all start again.

Better to disburse, and then, later, start showing up again as exotic sports cars only. After all, the upper crust would never resort to WOT in a low gear on an early morning on PCH! ;)

Sunny