OPINION:IS IT AN 83' OR 84' | FerrariChat

OPINION:IS IT AN 83' OR 84'

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by msdesignltd, Feb 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I AM ABOUT TO TAKE DELIVERY OF SERIAL # 49473 512 BBi BOXER...ACCORDING TO FERRARI IT IS AN 83'. DATE OF MANUFACTURE IS 12/83. BY THE TIME IT MADE IT TO THE STATES IT WAS TITLED AS AN 84'. THE CONDITION IS FLAWLESS 10 OUT OF 10 POINTS.1800 MILES WITH ALL SERVICE AND EXAMINATIONS UP TO DATE....IN COLLECTORS CIRCLES OBVIOUSLY THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE SERIAL # BEING AN 83' AND THE TITLE BEING AN 84....MY QUESTION IS ? IS THE CONDITION MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE YEAR OF MANUFACTURE OR VIS A VERSA.SHOULD THE VALUE OF EQUAL CARS ,1 YEAR APART BE DIFFERENT IN THE GENERAL MARKET OR SHOULD AN 83 BE WORTH LESS THAN AN 84'........PERSONALLY I THINK THE FURTHERAWAY WE GET FROM THE YAERS OF PRODUCTION THE MORE UNIMPORTANT THE YEAR BECOMES AS THEY ALL BECOME EQUAL AND CONSIDERED BY OVERALL CONDITION...EXAMPLE ,IS A PERFECT DAYTONA COUPE 72, WORTH LESS THAN AN EQUAL CONDITON 73 OR 74 ....?
    THANKS, MICHAEL

2. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    I had a title problem with the vin being off 1 number and I was able to correctd with my local DMV office. In my opinion, you are correct, but I also think it is not impossible to have a correction made with some effort.

3. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Grat car - Usually a production date of late in the year = A next year car. My production date was 9/86 - Making it an 87.

4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    frankly don't think it matters at all in a car 20 yrs old.

5. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    I would say 84, given the high vin, I have seen earlier vins called 84s, not that its right. anyway I think a 12/83 date would make it an 84. As someone pointed out usually late fall production signals the next years MY, for example my 3.2 mondial was produced in late 85 but 3.2s can only have 86-88 MYs

6. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Sounds like an 84 to me. Ross is right though, what does it matter?

7. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Michael,

I have checked and the #49000 series VIN's were used early to mid '84, You have nothing to worry about, I know of 26 cars with earlier VIN's than yours all in the US and all listed as 1984's.

Regards,

Steve
    Ferrari Register

8. formula1joe

formula1joe Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Bennett
    My car was also built later i the year, but was had the next years model year. I also had questions on the model year versus the VIN. I went through the owners.ferrari.com site and they emailed me back with what they had on the books. I think that is what matters. Just my 2 cents.

9. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    By your comments and questions I take it that you are a collector,
    and are going to show the car rather than drive the car.
    If that is the case then the build date and title date should pose no problem.

But, if you are going to purchase this Boxer to drive I would be concerned.
    The first thing that troubles me about this car is that it only has "1800 MILES" on it after 20 years.
    The second would be "SERVICE AND EXAMINATIONS UP TO DATE"
    After 20 years even with only 1800 miles on it,
    the car would still need to have a 30k service performed on it.
    Also cars that sit like this can have problems with shocks/
    bushings.

10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    By the way, there is too much tire dressing on the tires.

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The european way of model year designation had always been the date of production until only recently. So if the car was made in December 1983 it is a 1983 model according to Ferrari. American car makers have always brought out the next years models in the Fall before that year, so you could buy a 1984 Camaro in October 1983. That is just hype and done solely for marketing reasons to get you to buy a Chevy before Christmas. Not so with Ferraris. The fact that the Boxer is a gray market car just confused the state that originally issued the title and they issued it as a 1984 model. My Boxer was made in June 1982 and is titled as a 1982 model. That's the way it should be. I agree with Dave. With that low mileage garage queen, although it looks GREAT...it is going to eat your lunch with maintenance and repairs. Major service, shocks, seals, gaskets, hoses, electrical connections, wiring, a/c parts...what to do first is your only question. It's a beautiful car and Good luck.

12. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    "By the way, there is too much tire dressing on the tires."

Ah come on Mitch, they will look just fine after a good long drive...
    Which at the current rate should only take about 12 years! ;)

13. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    If I remember right, there is no difference between an 83 and an 84 boxer. The Ferrari judges don't really care when the car was made, so long as it is original. I would be very hesitant to drive the car "with the services up to date". The car is going to need a good going over before you use it. Ferraris aren't like wine, they don't age well.

14. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I'm in a similiar situation.

My Boxer is titled as a 1984 and was advertised for sale by Ferrari dealers and private parties as a 1984 over the years.

But, the VIN is 46189 and it was built in 1983, but it wasn't DOT/EPA Federalized until Feb. 1984, so it has an 1984 title.

I am listing it as a 1983 for any car shows that I attend.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Michael,

I noticed that your rear spoiler and the air boxes on the rear deck are all painted RED to match the body. Did the dealer do that? These are normally painted black on almost every Boxer that I've seen. Also, are you planning on removing the added on DOT running lights from the sides of the car?

15. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    THIS BOXER IS 100% ORIGINAL, I HAVE SEEN THEM PAINTED BOTH WAYS, I BELIEVE THE PAINT DEPT. AT FERRARI LEFT THEM SOLID RED ON SLOW DAYS.
    AND THERE WERE MANY OF THOSE IN EARLY 80's

MICHAEL

16. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Michael, the non-black engine covers was a special option and I have seen a blue BB512i here in the Atlanta area that had the rear engine covers painted blue from the factory. I believe that even the front radiator vents were blue as well. It has cream interior and looks great. But, FYI those side lights on the front and rear of the car's sides are not original as they were added as park of the DOT conversion process. I had the ones on my BB512i removed by Bo Pirkle while I was having the major service done at FOA and it gives the car a much cleaner look from the side.

17. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    YES, THE MARKERS WILL DISSAPEAR SOON.I DO PLAN ON DRIVING THIS CAR GARAGE QUEEN DAYS ARE OVER... ANYONE KNOW WHO MAKES A TUBI STYLE EXHAUST SYSTEM FOR THIS CAR, ITS A LITTLE TOO DOCILE SOUNDING IN ITS ORIGINAL FORM.I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR GURGLING IN THE DOWNSHIFT AND ENGINE BRAKEING MODE. I THINK YOU KNOW THE SOUND I'M TALKING ABOUT!
    MICHAEL

18. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Michael,

To answer your question: Tubi Style makes a "Tubi" exhaust for your car.
    part #001178212000A for the muffler. You can order one from any Tubi dealer.

Here's their US dist. web site:www.tubistyleusa.com