348 lift point | FerrariChat

348 lift point

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Jim Riggs, Feb 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jim Riggs

Jim Riggs Karting

Jan 25, 2004
    Hey guys. Here is a simple problem:
    I have read several postings on lifting points and jackstand use for 348's, but I am still confused. I looked under my 348 today with a flashlight and found what looked like possible lifting points: two pieces of flat metal (each about 2.5"×3/4''×1/4") sticking out of the undercarriage just behind the front wheels and somewhat further infront of the back wheels. I couldn't get a good look under there because of the low clearance, but this was all that even looked like a lifting point. On my Alfa's the lifting points appear to be much more substantial. Are these the correct lifting points or have I missed them?
    I have read that the best way to get a floor jack under a 348 is to drive it up on to a plank of lumber (1.5×6) to provide some needed additional clearance. Here is the part that is a little fuzzy: Next lift the front of the car using the floor jack (with a hockey puck in the lift bowl) to lift at a cross-member on the front end of the 348. Since I cannot see under the vehicle yet I have not been able to identify the proper cross-memeber. Once the 348 is lifted place a small piece of plywood on the contact surface of the jackstand to prevent scratching. Does this seem correct?
    Sorry for being such a rookie, but I want to be completely sure before attempting to remove my tires. Thanks!

2. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Hi Jim. I'm still trying to find the best way myself so please post if you come up with something better than what I do. Keep in mind, I am not a professional mechanic so the following is for information only, and not a recommendation. The risk is yours. With that said, here is what I do: 1)drive onto 2x4's, 2)engage e-brake, 3)loosen lug nuts, 4)chock the wheels 5)lift and support with stands as illustrated below using hockey puck in the jack pad, and wood blocks with the stands. 6)remove wheels, place under the frame just in case... 7)test for stability before and while working on the car and 8)never never ever work while all alone at home.

3. Jim Riggs

Jim Riggs Karting

Jan 25, 2004
    ShanB-
    Thanks for the photos. That helps a lot. I noticed that you are from Texas. What city in Texas? All the best. Jim

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Do NOT lift from the center of the rear cross member, you can bend this and you really don't want to.

The correct lifting point is where the subframe bolts up to the chassis.

5. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb

Mitch - where exactly do you do that? I assume you mean the middle? Can you be more specific.

Thanks for the correction.

6. Jim Riggs

Jim Riggs Karting

Jan 25, 2004
    Mitch-
    I remember seeing an old thead that had a diagram that showed where to lift a 348. I tried to do a search to find it, but I have been unsuccessful. Have you seen that thead. I remember that it mentioned that you should not use a cross rail to lift this F-car. Thanks, Jim

7. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    I see by your response there is obviously there is a better way than what I suggested. If someone could post a diagram or a few pictures that would be very helpful.

Thanks,
    Shan

8. 348_project_car

Jan 29, 2006
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Any additional pics of were to lift a 348, I have seen the pic's were the car is way up in the air and the jacks are pretty far in. A little scary to crawl under, would really like to see additional.

thx

9. 348_project_car

Jan 29, 2006
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dale
    sure wish this pic worked.

10. stephenofkanza

stephenofkanza Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Stephen LeRoy Sherma
  11. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #11 BT, Apr 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Attached is a picture of where I jacked up my 348 for some wheel spacers I was adding. I also placed a stand as you can see in the pic. I have seen that people place a small block of wood between the jack and the car to prevent scratches although I did not have a problem without it.
    BT
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy