Guitar question | FerrariChat

Guitar question

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Gilles27, Feb 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I've got the itch to add a guitar and am looking at the Gibson 335. I think I've dismissed the Epiphone, even though it's a fraction of the cost. Any pros/cons or suggestions?

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Gibson/
    Scroll down to ES 335 (14 Models) for Pros/Cons & More

Have you been here yet?
    Guitar Center Chicago
    2633 North Halsted
    Chicago, Illinois 60614

Check out the Vintage Room, which I would presume to be substantial.

3. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    Fat strats for me ;)

Maybe a tele next. I might have to get a flying V though, my band plays heavy stuff.

4. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Tom, I was there yesterday. The high-end room was a little more intimate than I expected, and the selection was thin. The salesman I spoke with was pretty cool, but my problem with GC has always been with the negotiable aspect of their goods. The guitar I saw was priced in the $2700 range, which is what a private dealer was selling one for up the street. They should be able to beat him by a mile, but I guess that's up to me to find the "sweet spot" for a deal. I was just curious if anyone here owns one.

Noony, I've got a Strat that I love, plus I've been talking about buying a Tele for about 15 years. Just never pulled the trigger. Right now, I'm into more of the bluesy thing and just love the sound of the hollow body.

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #5 Chiaro_Slag, Feb 17, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm still stuck in the 80's, so I like this guitar next to my brother's chair he is selling on ebay. By the way, don't bid on the chair because if it doesn't sell, maybe he will give it to me. lol :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Slag
    Great guitar and chair.
    I'm stuck in the 40s.

7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
  8. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    61 strat with SRV " texas special" pickups. 69 les paul custom original " PAF" pickups. real 1969 epiphone 3 pickup black beauty with matched set of 3 alnico v pickups schecter "hollywood" C-1 classic with vine inlay ( custom shop ). schecter acoustic electric. i love the old gibsons post pics if you get one!!!!!!! i am looking at a real 59 les paul with a few non original parts. $$$$$$$$$$$$ !!!!!!!!!!

9. Burnout

Burnout Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    #9 Burnout, Feb 17, 2004
  10. Mr Janne

Mr Janne Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    Great guitars!! I mostly play my Gibson Les Paul Standard, a black one. I love that guitar.

I can really recommend the Gibson 335. Even though I don´t own one, yet, I have played them and they sound and feel great!:)

11. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    Go with the Gibson-definitely. You won't regret it. That's like asking "should I go with the Ferrari or the Fiero?" ;)

Here are three of my four guitars: Les Paul Standard, Aspen classical and a Martin acoustic. I too LOVE my Gibson.

12. TheCarcierge

TheCarcierge Formula 3

Feb 1, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott Saidel
    I've had a hankering for a 335 myself for a few months now. The sound is a bit light by Gibson standards, but it is a nice midway between my Taylor (Big Baby) acoustic and my Gibson Les Paul Standard "Raw Power."

I personally prefer the "hard body" Gibsons. I find that they they have a more raw, gutteral sound compared to the Tele or the "V" I bought the Raw Power on a whim - I just saw it hanging on the wall at Sam Ash and had to have it - as it turns out the unfinished surface tames the sound - just a tad - and makes it a bit warmer.

After playing it for a year and a half, I have become accustomed to that sound, hence my desire to move into a hollow body.

Scottie

13. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    #13 noony, Feb 18, 2004
  14. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Good stuff there!

15. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Very cool collection!

My bro plays 80's stuff really well. I'm a mess when it comes to playing music. :(

16. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    I'm in the middle of recording now and the producer/engineer has better ears than mine and discovered that my guitar really isn't in tune at certain points on the neck. It's not just the intonation adjustment but turns out the neck itself is getting twisted. Damn. I've got it in the shop to try to fix it and we'll see how it comes out. And in the meantime I'm playing the other guitars at the studio. The frets are also ancient and should be replaced but the problem is that it will be costly and the guitar isn't all that valueable. It's a '67 Kustom K200, which was made by Ross in Kansas, has DeArmond pickups, and looks kind of like a Rickenbacker. But the neck is amazing. I've had it since '90 and am very attatched to it personally, having gigged with it in Japan and used it on several recordings in the past. I have owned a dozen guitars since I got this one, including les paul, sg, jazzmaster, guild, mustang, etc. and sold them all and could never part with the Kustom.

I guess it's time to buy something else so I can at least give the Kustom a rest now and then.

This isn't mine, but mine looks just like it:

[​IMG]

17. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Slim, I don't think it would be that costly. If it means a lot to you, put it in a case up on the wall for sentimental value. Otherwise, might as well get it refretted and the neck squared away.

Still not finished with the body of my guitar, the custom Jaganeaux. I'll probably end up reworking most of the electrnoics too. Currently has two Fender lace and a Dimarzio humbucker.

When we get to a bass thread, let me know. =)

18. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
  19. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #19 Chiaro_Slag, Feb 18, 2004
  20. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Here's my current group.
    Godin Artesian ST
    1928 Gibson Mastertone banjo
    Simon and Patrick Pro Rosewood acoustic

Giles27, my uncle in St. Paul, Mn. is a distributor for a few lines, If you want I'll get you in touch with him.

21. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    WOW, what a cool:cool: thread;)

Love this stuff and its my business.

pic 1 Fender Stratocaster from the `50th & 60th
    pic 2 Fender Telecaster from the `50th & `60th
    pic 3 Gibson Les Paul Std. Sunburst 1958 (a 100K guitar!)
    pic 4 PRS DRagon I

Wolfarossa
    FORZA FERRARI

22. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2003
    DC Metro/MD
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #23 Johnny Bravo, Feb 18, 2004
    Have you looked into Heritage guitars yet? They're made in Gibson's old Kalamazoo, MI factory & are at least as good as if not better than an equivalent Gibson model with many more options (woods, colors, fretboard material, inlays, neck shape/size, et cetera) and they typically cost a lot less as well. I've played numerous Heritage & Gibsons back to back and the Heritage guitars are definitely a better bargain, but the downside is that their resale value drops a lot more than any Gibson does. A good place to browse pics of them is on Ed Roman's website (although he has a bad reputation of being the used car salesman of the guitar retail industry): http://www.edromanguitars.com/guitar/home_her.htm Also check out Heritage's own website: http://www.heritageguitar.com/

Anyway, here's my Fender Custom Shop Strat. It's from around '92 or so and came with Texas Specials and I added the StarSwitch later, but may put the stock switch back in. Also have a Ovation Custom Legend and a fretless Fender J-bass. In the past have had one of the first run SRV Signature Strats, an Ibanez Jem 777FP (early run floral pattern when they actually used real fabric), a Fender Strat Plus (with Lace Sensors), a Spector NS2 4 string, and an old Peavey Falcon Custom.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2003
    DC Metro/MD
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Wow, Wolfgang! What a phenomenal collection you have there!!!! That '58 Standard has one of the better tops I've seen on an original. The two I've been fortunate enough to noodle around on didn't have tops quite that figured. Great pics! :)

24. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    @Johnny Bravo,
    thanks Ben, here are some more pice from the `58 Burst (sold to a US gent)

pic 3 I thought to post for the Stevie Ray Vaughan fans here. Its my SRV meroial corner;)
    He was a dear friend of mine and I have seen him over 80 times in concert and the `56 Fender Musicamseter was a gift from him to me signed:
    From Stevie Ray Vaughan to Wolfgang
    Play here with all your heart!!!!!

R.I.P. my dear old texan guitar slinger; Stevie we miss you!