"New Posts" functionality - do you use it? | FerrariChat

"New Posts" functionality - do you use it?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Doody, Feb 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

"New Posts" functionality - do you use it?

1. I am aware of the "New Posts" functionality [b]and use it regularly[/b].

2. I am aware of the "New Posts" functionality [b]but do not use it[/b].

3. New Posts? Huh? My fence is fine? What are you talking about?

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    ladies & gents:

rob is always in a constant process of prioritizing what features and work he can and should do to the board. one of the items on his list involves changes to the "New Posts" functionality.

the question was raised as to whether or not people actually use this functionality. if nobody uses it, then there's no point in futzing with it (duh). if everybody thinks it's the bees knees, then it'll likely get moved up the list.

if you don't know what this functionality is, you can get a list of posts that are new since your last visit to the site. you do this by hitting the "New Posts" link/button up there at about one-oclock or by choosing "New Posts" from the list of options that show up when you click on the "Quick Links" link/button up there at about two-oclock.

do people use this functionality? please vote!

tia,
    doody.

2. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    "I am aware of the "New Posts" functionality and use it regularly."

POSITIVE:
    I think its useful if you don't have a lot of time and just want a quick look in all categories recent posts (I'm often in that case, 'cause I still have to work hard to achieve my dreamcar). It's good to see all new topics in one eye at such moments. You're also able to see intresting topics in categories you don't frequently visit (Asia, Texas, Mid-West,... in my case)

NEGATIVE:
    BUT... the function is NOT really necessary 'cause when you get ALL recent posts, you also get those that don't really intrest you or the topics from local areas that are no use to you (f.e. meetings on the other side of the world). And after all, opening the category that intrests you most (General and Europe in my case) doesn't take THAT much of time.

CONCLUSION:
    I use it, but I won't complain if it isn't there anymore.

(sorry, tried to give a clear answer :) )

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Ah, if I use this new post thingie does this mean that I'll get a hardship wavier of the upcoming membership fee?

Dr "Nobody Loves You When You Are Down and Out" Tax

4. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    What membership fee? I do hope it is only your marvelous wit at work.

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Ah, did you ever have one of those days....

6. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I use it all the time. It's really neat because I see all new posts in every section. I've found interesting posts in sections that I would not normally read.

Dom

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Okay that sounds like a good feature, but what would be a great feature is if you could select a button and list all threads that you have posted on ...

Is that already implemented as a lot of sites have that feature and it makes it easy to see if you got an answer to a question ...?

Pete

8. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    When you go to your USER CP or click on your username to go to your own profile, you can list all replies you posted and/or all threads you've started. You can do this for any user on this board in the profile of the user you're tracking down (if you click on his/her name).

9. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    As of this writing, it's been used 42229 times.

I use it regularly - I hit "New Posts" & check *topic titles* of interest as any topic in any given forum at any time is someplace to live and learn - post accordingly. Hit Browser "Back" button to get to original Search Results of "New Posts" list - scan until I see my useless opinion isn't "needed" on any threads listed, hit "New Posts" - Rinse and Repeat.

*As always, the more specific the topic title, the better - "What's this?" ain't a headline.

10. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I just look at the bolded threads in each section to see what I haven't checked out yet.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Looking at the thread list, all the ones with a dot in the file icon are ones you posted to.

I typically speed read the titles and I always check the ones I've posted to if there are updates.

12. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah

13. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    just to clarify, since a few people are damn near getting panic attacks ;)

i certainly have not been privy to any discussion regarding REMOVING this functionality. i don't think anybody wants that. and there's no reason to bother expending the effort to even do that.

at issue are one or two modifications/additions to the functionality:

(a) it has been asserted that it would be useful if there were an option of the New Posts functionality such that it only returned new posts in the groups you were subscribed to. while i love my f-car brothers in alabama, i don't give much of a rat's keister about them planning their next get-together (no offense, gents!).

(b) permit sorting of the results by, say, GROUP. that way if we can't to (a) above, we can at least get the results listed out by discussion group and can skip the posts we don't care about 'cuz they'll be nicely organized by group.

so fret not, the New Posts functionality isn't likely to up and disappear overnight :)

doody!