How old does a car have to be in PA to get classic plates? | FerrariChat

How old does a car have to be in PA to get classic plates?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Auraraptor, Feb 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Is it 15 or 20 years. If its 15 I can save a bit of insurance, and time, and get classic car plates for my car.

2. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    Auraraptor - In PA it's 15 years for "classic" plates and 25 years for "antique" plates. With most insurance companies you don't need the plate to insure as a classic, only need to agree to limited use.

3. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I just asked a notory and they said 20??

Anyway, what are the perks of classic plates? No yearly inspection? No emissions? (PA is starting this very soon as told to me by my mechanic who was telling how he wanted to buy a new alignment machine, but his money was going to buy new emissions equipment...)

4. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I think it has been changed to 20 in the last year or two. It was 15, but I am almost 100% it is 20. I could be wrong though.
    Erik

5. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    I just got (two weeks ago) "classic" tags for my '87 Autokraft Cobra. I'm CERTAIN it is fifteen years. The advantages are no emissions inspection required. Vehicle must pass a mechanical inspection. "antique" tags do not require any inspection whatsoever.

6. CarStore

CarStore Karting

Sep 19, 2003
  7. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Interesting....I've been wondering how I was going to pass emissions since my county already was them. The guy at the shop I have my other cars inspected told me that if I get it through once and drive less than 5k per year(read buy a second speedo for inspection), it is exempt...but it has to pass once. I may look in to the classic plate, but the rules say I can only drive it once per week to work...I wonder it the police would buy a yearly average of once per week????

8. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Do I need to submit them the title as well?

When a vehicle is already properly titled in the owner’s name, and the owner is making application for
    an antique or classic plate, only the vehicle’s certificate of title (MV-4) is required to be submitted along with the MV-11 application. Neither the MV-
    4ST nor the MV-1 form is needed in this case.

9. CarStore

CarStore Karting

Sep 19, 2003
    If the car is registered in your name you need to submit the title (official name for a title in PA is MV-4).
    If you need help or would like us to do it for you please call me at 215 570 0828. Would be happy to do it for you.

Tom Mellett
    www.carstoreofglenside.com

10. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    TOM

WHAT ABOUT NJ?? FOR CLASSIC OR QQ PLATES

TX

BRUCE

11. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale

12. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    That is what I love about this site. Thanks for setting my information straight!!! :).
    Erik

13. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    In IL you can skip the emissions and the renewal is a lot cheaper, but the "limited use" is scary to me. I drive almost every day and I don't want to explain why I'm at bowling league, the golf course or anywhere else to a cop. I just put up with the crap and have regular plates. Hagerty has restrictions but they're not that picky on driving as long as I don't drive to work, which I wouldn't do anyway!

Ken

14. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Bruce- NJ is 25 years for "QQ"/historic plates. I have a 1978 VW that is finally eligible, but I don't think I'll bother changing the plates, as the garage we go to somehow gets an inspection sticker on that thing every other year when it's due. Come to think of it, the car is due this spring for inspection. If they give me a hard time for emissions, maybe I'll convert the registration to QQ....the car stays in a shed at my family's vacation home, and gets driven fewer miles a year than most Ferraris on this site- I think last year we only put 300 or so miles on it....can only go so far/fast with 48hp- ha! Its just a cruise around town toy, not really a turnpike cruiser that's driven anywhere but to the beach and/or bar.

At any rate, I don't think your Testarossa qualifies for QQ plates if that's what you were thinking :) And your car certainly doesn't look like an antique to me :)

Andrew