What do people think of the EVO Ferrari Supercar Test? | FerrariChat

What do people think of the EVO Ferrari Supercar Test?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by F40only, Feb 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F40only

F40only Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    I can't believe the F40 came in last. Does anyone know why reviews of the F40 are so different? Some people call it a beast, others call it docile and say the turbo's come on very progessively? What are you thoughts on this test?

2. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    About damn time the F50 got more recognition! Force fed V8 supercar lovers, *grumble*

Edit: whoops, forgot to add a smiley to this post before I get whipped with timing belts :D

Sunny

3. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    I stand with Mr. Jag, it is about time the F50 gets some respect. I think its a much prettier car then people say! Having seen each example that was in that test I would have to say the F50 looks the best, everyone else can fight for the remaining spots.

I've heard contradicting views on the raw-ness of the F40 too. I've never driven or got to ride in one, so sorry I'm no help there.

I'd take any of the four in the test though! :)

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I think it sucked. Evo always have to shock even when it makes them look dumb.

First ..why do this thest in winter ? We have waited for this for so long so 4 more months wouldnt matter..

The F40 coming last is pure BS. No one ever raved about the GTO after the F40 came..The F40 on the other hand was still mentioned even after the F50 was introduced...

Pfff..

5. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    It's all a matter of taste.
    My ranking would have been different also, but I enjoyed the article even I didn't always agree with it. Also; all 4 cars are special in their own way, ...difficult to make a ranking.
    The pictures were great, weren't they? The small videoclip wasn't bad either, but could have been much better in my opinion!

Greets, ALX

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    IMO the test was crap and unfair on all cars as the test was way to short, ie. a quick blast down a road in the wet.

To do this comparison properly one needs to:
    - live with each for a week as a every day car.
    - lap times with a minimum of 20 laps per car.
    - get involved somehow with the servicing requirements of each.
    - survey of styling from school boys ;), etc.

The guy never really DROVE the F40 ... with that short drive in the wet with the owner sitting beside him. In the end the fact that the F40 behaved so well in such conditions should have been a plus not a negative.

Pete

7. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    F50 is the best, glad it got some good press :)

8. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Sure, but its WAAYYYYY better than any other comparison of these cars!!

• Several people collectively decided the ranking.
    • Each person drove each of the cars back to back, within a day, in roughly the same conditions.
    • There were people clearly biased against the eventual winner.
    • They ultimately decided based on what matters most: the driving experience.

That compared to the typical ratings of these cars:
    • By people who have never driven all four cars.
    • By people who have driven all four, but separated by years.
    • Mostly based on specs and looks, not actual driving experience.

Thus, in that respect, its one of the best Ferrari rating articles I've seen; and by far the best comparison of the four Ferrari supercars. And I, too, like that the F50 finally garnered some respect!

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Brian,

I'm sorry I just cannot respect a 'supercar' that has never held its own in a race series (atleast the 288GTO was designed for one, and the F40 competed ...), and one that looks like a car designed as a accessory to a Barbie doll :D

Otherwise I agree with you ;)

Pete

10. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Well I agree with you to a point... but how successful was the F40 and the 288 GTO? And for the Enzo though there is a Maser racecar... but how many races has it won? The F50 GT1 could have been successful but Ferrari dumped the program for F1... you know it would have won against the competition. I wouldn't knock the F50, its much better then people give it credit for. Fabulous car(!) its good that it won.

With that said it wasn't much of a supercar test, I agree with everything thats been said with track and further road tests... but with what they did the F50 was the best, what's wrong with that?! Its a magnificent car. :) Happy driving if you own any of these magnificant cars!