Anyone ever watch the UK's Jeremy Clarkson? | FerrariChat

Anyone ever watch the UK's Jeremy Clarkson?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Tennlee, Feb 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    I started watching this fellow on TopGear, a UK car show that's miles better than anything produced here in the states. The guy is hilarious. Turns out for quite some time he's produced his own set of videos. So... I up and order a pair from amazon.uk. For 31 pounds (that's some amount of money in USD, my credit card bill will inform me later), "Head to Head" and "No Limits" arrive today at my home. Excited, I pop in No Limits in the DVD and it says, "Check Region Code". Hmm... bad DVD? I go to the bedroom DVD, and it claims I have an illegal for the US/Canada DVD.
    [rant on]
    Turns out that DVDs are based on regions of the world. If you live in Tennessee (or the US/Canada) and you order off amazon.uk, they get to take your money, but you don't get to watch the DVD. Whoever devised this scheme needs to be beaten with an stick (or caned, if they were british). Well, luckily my PC has a DVD player in it that I can inform what country I'm in, so I claim I'm from Blackpool, and bingo- I'm watching the DVD.
    [/rant off]

The videos are awesome. I wish I could see TopGear on SpeedTV or PBS. Alas, my cable doesn't carry the BBC.

2. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    He's dreamy

3. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I like watching Tiff Needell drive myself.A computer dvd player should play all regions.My friend had a dvd from poland he couldn't play so I put it on vhs for him.

4. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    No but I am watching the Ron Jeremy special right now.

DrS

5. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have been watching Top Gear for years. I like Clarkson !!! He seems a nice fellow and the comments he makes on cars is fair.

Of his show, the part which I like most is where they test the new cars on the track. Amazing stuff. There is no other stuff quite like the Top Gear.

enjoy your video.

6. udalmia

udalmia Guest

tiff is annoying imo! clarkson rocks but its vicki all the way! its just something about a hot chick driving a hot car , and i mean REALLY driving it

7. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I like Tiff. I thought he was aweasome in the 360 special he did, but Clakrson is hillarious, I think it was the Bugatti and Diablo special and he made the following comment about the EB110, "I belive the last time I was this relaxed baby oil was involved" And then when it was time to choose a winner between the Diablo and the Bugatti he goes, "Theres one thing that both of these cars are missing though, and thats a Ferrari badge", And a F50 comes hauling as$ onto the screen. It was great the F50 won and it wasnt even in the race.

Something funny for Allan, heres a Clarkson quote regarding the Diablo compared to the EB110 "And it only has a topspeed of 202 mph, which is pathetic." (not sure exactly what he said the speed was though.)

8. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    I love Clarkson!! What a sense of humor!! Tiff is a good driver, but not as entertaining to watch as Jeremy. Although Udalmia is right, Vicki kicks both of their asses :) I think im going to marry her...

9. Burnout

Burnout Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    Tiff for raw driving ability, Clarkson for pure entertainment value, and VBH for being the hottest, fastest chick out there!

10. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Actually one of the Digital Discovery Channels plays it. I watched the Ford GT one a while back ago on it. And I live in Indiana, I was surprised.

11. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    You could always try re-coding your DVD player. There are loads of codes on the web that allow you to play multi region DVD's.

I also wish DVD weren't region'ed - it's a great excuse to rip off us Brits for a few more quid. DVD's in the US are a lot cheaper than here.

Have you ever seen 5th Gear programme ? They did a test on the new Stradale by VBH - now she is .........

12. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
  13. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    Thanks guys. Yep, I see 5th Gear also occasionally. I can play the DVDs on my PC, its just the regular players in the house that can't play them. Oh... Vicki is :).

14. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I've been reading Clarkson's articles in Performance Car (defunct) and now Top Gear for years. He makes me laugh out loud! Tiff is a hell of a driver. As far as Vicki is concerned, I agree with all of you. When you add it all up, she's just about perfect. :)

15. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    He is definitely entertaining, but I don't value his opinion on the cars at all. He ended up not liking the F50 because he thought too many of them would be garage queens. Does that mean it's not a good car? It's just really annoying how he'll come through the whole review and then say something like, "ahh, but I don't much care for these door sills, so I think I'll pass. Or even worse, "I just don't get that feel in this car." I know there's a lot of personal taste and emotion involved in liking cars, but as an automotive journalist, your review shouldn't depend wholly on such nitpicking details. Literally the only thing he found wrong with the Gallardo he drove was that the gear shifter was scratched after being driven by many other automotive journalists. What does that say about the car? Absolutely nothing, it just means that it's been abused.

So, yeah, funny, but not very helpful.

16. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Not the point.

Jeremy isn't "automotive reviewer," he's more of a commentator. There are a million reviewers, but only one Jeremy.

17. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I've met him before and interviewed him (in a past life I was an automotive journalist) at the London Auto Show in Earl's Court.

He's got a quirky sense of humor (but that's Britain for you) and he's a HUGE guy, so he really has fit issues in a lot of stuff. He really doesn't like the American sports cars, I think he's a bit unfair on them, actually, but some of his shows are hysterical.

Ed

18. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Tennlee, try playing it on your computer. If that doesn't work, many cheap APEX DVD players don't have the encoding scheme, and can play discs from anywhere. A friend bought one a year ago for $79, so they are likely cheaper, if still available. Heck, it could be cheaper than the DVDs....

vty,

--Dennis