IRAQI SUPER GUN | FerrariChat

IRAQI SUPER GUN

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Ferrari_UK, Feb 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    Hi.

During Feb I was able to see 3 sections of this enormous weapon at an artillery museum here. Thought you might find it interesting. It is huge and made of stainless steel.

"The project, if it had been successful, would have created a gun capable of firing a 600 kg (1320 lbs) projectile 1000 km, or, even more threatening, a rocket assisted projectile into orbit. From orbit it is possible to hit a target anywhere on the planet, and if it were equipped with a nuclear warhead, one can imagine the consequences. Another purpose for the gun would have been disabling spy satellites. Project Babylon was not successful, however, because Gerald Bull was assassinated outside his apartment in Brussels, Belgium in 1990. The assassin was never found, but the Israeli intelligence agency, Mossad (Hebrew for "institution"), is suspected to be responsible."

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    This could be an excellent & cheap way to get satellites into orbit also

3. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Looks more like a sewer line to me.

4. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Interesting.Looks like that idea was scrapped.

5. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

FWIW Gerald Bull was a Canadian.

6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    It is not clear that this weapon would work.

If you look at the guns used on US battle ships, you will see that thery have as much steel outside the shell as the width of the shell. This is needed inorder to contain the explosion of the propellent with the precision necessary to seal the bore while accelerating the projectile towards its target.

These Tubes are about a factor of 5 to thin to be used in a gun with conventional explosive propellents.

7. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    I think this concept has been tried many times by nations with much more $$ to invest than Iraq and it's never worked.

Luke.

8. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Kinda like the Paris gun of WW1. Also I believe America or someother country actually tried launching a satellite into orbit with a big gun like this. I dont know how it went though. I dont think it worked. We also did some test with one with Nuclear warheads but the whole idea was scrapped I believe since it was worthless. We had the money and technology just to use Balistic Missiles. Yea but anyways People have been using huge rail guns like that since WW1.

9. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    We should use it to see how far we could launch saddam

:D

10. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    haha

11. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    these were referred to as " rail guns" as they were on and moved by rails. they were used somewhat by Germany in ww2 and fire shells similar to or larger than the 16 inch battle ship guns.( i think they were MUCH larger but i am not sure ) modern metals and technologies would make this a bad MOFO if developed properly. much as the V2 rockets ( german ww2)? they are a terror weapon where as they are fired at a target to hit in a general area and kill / terrorise as many as possible. nothing against our German fchaters, just recalling some of my firearms knowledge / history.
    you guys think thats scary!!!! there is a satellite in orbit that can shoot titanium rods accurately from space at a ground target. gravity does most of the work, though i dont know how the heck you would keep it from burning up in the atmosphere!!!( angle of attack???) i love big guns, though thats a little TOO big and where you you keep it!!!!!

12. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think one of hte "biggest" kills in War World 1 from a rail gun was when one of hte shells hit a French Monastary or something. It took out a lot of civilians if I remember correctly. The V-2's were easily preventable by jsut using a SPitfire or other fighter to tip the wing of the rocket with its wing and send it harmlessly into the countryside. I heard Botht eh V-2 and the Paris rail gun and the such were very terrifying to hear coming down on you.
    On a side note asome of those guns were so big they needed a superstructure to keep them up. Like a bunch of cables and the such.
    (I love reading about Military history, and watching the History channel.)

13. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i love those channels too impalaSS!! my grandfather was in the 8th airforce and was there during the bombings. he has a piece of a V2 rocket that almost got him. those big guns were bad news. seems odd that IRAQ would go retro with something like that. i am glad i did not take that job with Lockheed Martin as a mechanic over there. ( $15k a month!!!) the " safe house " the aircraft mechanics were staying in was the one the car bomb blew up last week. that where i would have been had i gone in january like i was offered. makes you think!!!!!!!!! glad to be here, still poor but alive!!! forza ferrari!

14. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My Grandfather was in the 8th airforce as well he was a Bombadier on a B-17g got shot down and spent a while in Stalif Luff(spelling?) 1 I think.

15. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    (spoken with Shrek accent) Do you think he was compensating for something?

GT

16. Lee White

Lee White Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Full Name:
    Lee White

I can't imagine the delicate electronics in a satellite surviving the G's involved in such a launch. I'm not a physicist, nor do I play one on TV, but that would be several hundred, or even thousands of G's involved. Inertia's a *****-

17. Lee White

Lee White Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Full Name:
    Lee White
    The V-1 buzz bomb could be intercepted in the manner you describe, but not the V-2. The first thing that let the English know that a V-2 had been lauched was when it exploded.

The reason that it was better to tip the wing of a V-1, and upset the gyro, instead of simply shooting it down was that when shot at, the thing would explode, and sometimes damage/destroy the plane that shot it down.

18. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
  19. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks, sorry about confusing the two.

20. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    My mother can remember hiding under the dining room table (some protection!) in the 1940s listening to the V1 engines stop and wondering where they were going to land. This was in Canterbury, about 20 miles from the English Channel. She would have been about 6 or 7 then. Scarey !

21. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    I thought that the Air Force wasn't started until 1946. If my memory serves me correctly it was called the Army Air Corp during WWII

22. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    The Air Force was founded in 1947, evolving as a separate service from the US Army Air Corps.

The 8th Air Force in WW2 was (and is) a 'Numbered Air Force' (NAF). A NAF is an organizational level roughly equivalent to an Army 'Corps', e.g. V Corps.

Hope this helps
    Aim High
    rt

23. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Not sure what the G load is but rockets have a lot of vibration & G loads when they go up. They say the Spirit Mars rover took somewhere around 4 Gs I think when it first touched down on Mars

24. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I'm not sure what the current launch vehicles experince, but the atlas and saturn V rockets of the early space programs experienced 7-8g so i would assume that the current day ones are around there. The design criteria would take this into account. As for the space gun, i doubt that it would be able to fire something 100's of miles into the air to a speed of 17,500 mph, which is abuot the speed necessary for orbit. I mean look at the size of the rocket they use to put a satellite into orbit. It is huge, and carries all that fuel, which is necessary to put it in orbit. You think that gun could provide all that energy, even if the projectile is rocket assisted? You couldnt fit a big enough rocket inside of it.

25. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Not to be a punster - but it looks like a "Pipe Dream" to me.