Would a new 4 cylinder Ferrari ever happen? | FerrariChat

Would a new 4 cylinder Ferrari ever happen?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by triXXXter, Feb 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. triXXXter

triXXXter Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Ft. Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Steven G. Ogden
    I was looking at the Lotus Elise and thinking what if Ferrari made a car to compete price and size wise? Lotus uses Toyota's motor. Ferrari could make a small, light, and high reving 4 cylinder like the one in a S2000 or the Toyota but it would be better. Like chopping the 360's V8 in half. I think it would be an interesting car.

Comments?

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Do they use Toyota engines now ... used to be Isuzu?

Would it? ... hmmm, debatable this comment. Would be interesting that is for sure.

I do not think they will do it as it could be stated that it devalues the brand ... I think it would be a fun car though.

Pete

3. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    (I could be wrong but..) Ferrari would never go down market like that-- if anything they'd release as a Maserati or possibly a 'Dino'...

PSK- they use a 190hp Toyota Celica engine for the US-bound Elise.

4. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    As much as I love Ferrari's... I don't think they'll come down in the market like this unless they absolutely have too to stay afloat.

Though it would be an interesting car, and I would love to see Itailans' best compete against the Brits and the Eastern automakers... I don't think Ferrari will build a car in this market. Not that they couldn't compete, we all know thats a hands down answer... just that it isn't Ferrari's style. JMO, I could be wrong but from what I've seen, its what I fore-tell.

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Never a 4, it would just be a very tiny 6...............again.

6. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Porsche would come up with a 914 varient before Ferrari came up with another DINO below 75k IMO-- I'd love to see Porsche with a stripped out racer (think Elise) more then Ferrari with a cheap car; they've done enough with laptops, cologne and shoes to screw up their image..

7. prova

prova Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Gonzo
    As Luca di Montezemolo said, they won't produce more than 4000 cars per year. If they produce that kind of (low cost) Ferrari they should produce much more!

8. triXXXter

triXXXter Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Ft. Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Steven G. Ogden
    Very true, but Maserati stripped targa racer... not a bad idea. If they could get like 250HP out of about 7500 to 9000rpms. That would have a nice italian touch.

9. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    Heaven forbids. Ferrari will never build a 4 cylinder car. Never.

10. KEFLON

KEFLON Rookie

Feb 1, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Faisal
    I don't think so!

11. FerrariStuff.com

FerrariStuff.com Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    Mmmm....

Interesting idea...

What is the going rate for a 1954 all conquering 500 Mondial at the moment?

Oh sorry... 4-cylinders is seen as DOWNgrading....

Mmmmm....

Jack

12. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    They already have, back in the 50s.

I don't believe it would be to Ferrari's benefit to build a f-badged 4 cylinder now. Maybe Maser, but they seem to be positioning that brand as a GT/Luxury rather than a sportscar line.

If Ferrari acquires Alfa, then that's the place for the small motor, but Alfa already has that in the lineup.

So, no, I don't see a new 4 cylinder from Ferrari.

13. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Would never happen. Too much brand damage to see f cars on everyblock, if they cost 40K or whatever. And I just want to yack at the notion of a 4 cylinder ferrari, it would be far to close to RICE!!!

14. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Only in the 1991 Elan which wasn't a great sucess for Lotus. All other Lotus' use a lotus head except the S1 and S2 Europas which used a Renault engine.

I love the new Elise but I wish it had a Lotus head.

Ferrari won't make a 4 I don't think; I'd be surprised if they even ever made a small 6 again. They would likely use the Maserati brand for anything different like that.

Ken

15. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Hahahahaaaa, you have got to be kidding. I posted about a V10, and people are complaining about that! That is just a two cylinder difference down from the V12 and up from the V8. What you are suggesting is that they loose a complete V8 from the V12. There is no way that Ferrari will ever remotely go to a four banger any time in the near future, or even distant. Although it is a novel idea.

16. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    Porsche boxster clubsport out 2005 I think? Will be cheaper than standard boxster too. I know it's a flat-6 but still...

17. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    I can't wait ! but they should have produced a stripped coupe version and started a challenge-esque series when it first came out. The boxster is said to have better handling then its bigger brother (the Carrera), is 1/2 the price, and with some work can blow it away... It's a shame they didn't focus more on making the car a serious performer.

18. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    A humble four cylinder: NEVER...unless, perhaps they put on a Quad Turbo to go with it, perhaps as a concept car. It probably would blow up but might be cool to find out what it would do.

OR, on a more realistic level, how about trying a W design? Maybe a W-8 or W-12, or dare I say, a W-16. Yeah, a W-16 powered Ferrari sounds interesting to me!

19. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Yeah I hate those "RICE" Mini Coopers too ;)

20. triXXXter

triXXXter Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Ft. Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Steven G. Ogden
    A W engine, no no I think that is definitely German territory. That I don't think Ferrari would ever do.
    Oh and please don't get me started on what RICE is. I have seen a few "RICED" Minis.

21. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    I agree, but they would never supersede the flagship 911 with a less expensive boxster. There are RUF kits out there though.

BTW our (albeit used) Carrera 4 was less than a slightly optioned boxster S ;)