Most amazing Private Ferrari collection ? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Most amazing Private Ferrari collection ?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by amenasce, Nov 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I think his business went banckrupt..

2. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    Could be the case, yes. But as far as I know Mr Obrist was (is) a very good business man, so IF he went banckrupt it should be a shame.
    I think it's got also much to do with the value of all the cars he owned. The collection was complete at almost the same time Ferrari prices began to fall in the early '90s, and as such he paid an enormous amount of money on cars that were worth about 40-50% less in the years to come.

Some of the cars are currently running the Shell Historic Challenge in Europe.I've bin fortunated to see (and hear!!) some of his former cars,like the 312PB and the monster 712 Can Am.

3. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Excellent thread!

Okay, here's my story. Before I got married a little over 3 years ago, I dated and lived with a girl for about a year. She was an ex-Chanel runway model, retired at the age of 26 with millions of dollars. Anyways, prior to dating me, she lived in Lugano, Switzerland with a man by the name of Georgio Perfetti, heir to "Perfetti" gum or candy company, supposedly he is worth billions of dollars. She told me that he has the second most valueable Ferrari collection in the world. The collection has never been photographed by the public. She did show me a photo that she had taken personally of a few cars in the collection.

Has anybody ever heard of this guy????

4. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    Giorgio Perfetti moved to Lugano after a kidnapping in his family in Milan. He owns Brooklin chewing gum -- remember Jody Scheckter's personal sponsor? His collection was documented in the "Cavalleria" series of books, which he backed. There was one book for each car in the collection, either 19 or 20 in all. It may or may not (probably not) be the "second most valuable Ferrari collection in the world, but it's a good collection.

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

I have seen the 712 can am as well being driven by Franklin, i think its owned by Monteverde ?
    Who owns his 312 PB now ? i saw williams beanie and maybe Steiger's or was it John Bosh ?

6. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    As far as I know the 712 is indeed still owned by Carlos Monteverde. The 312 PB 0880 is owned and driven by William Binnie from the US. Don't know who owns some other cars from the former Obrist collection (except McCaw).

7. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Thanks for the information!

8. cochise

cochise Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Dempsey Chavis
    How about P. Paul Pappallardo (sp) in Conn. I don't think he has anything newer than a Daytona. Has several '50's and '60's era race cars along with street cars .

9. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    Pappallordo has a nice collection of Ferraris, amongst others he owns the 1960 Le Mans winning 250 TR. Don't how many cars he owns exactly.

10. Edo

Edo Rookie

Jan 15, 2004
    Japan
    Full Name:
    Edward
  11. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Ben, is that Mr. Colagio the Developer in NY?

12. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Ciaola and yep :).

13. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Thanks!

14. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

youre close Kenny... its Caiola

15. Anatol

Anatol Rookie

Jan 9, 2004
    Some information on European Ferrari collections:
    Albert Obrist had to sell his cars to Ecclestone because he financed some cars with a loan. However, when Ferrari prices went down the banks asked for more money or more security. This is where Bernie offerend to step in but rather than help out he put pressure on the banks to call the loans. Bernie bought the whole collection off the banks, kept the F1 cars and sold the rest to McCaw.
    I spoke with Mr. Obrist some years ago about the loss of his collection and he was still very angry. He used to call Bernie "the pig".
    Nevertheless, I am happy to own a book about Mr. Obrist's collection that he published himself in an issue of only 200 books.
    Here is the Obrist collection without F1 cars:
    340 MM PF Berlinetta 0322AM
    315 Sport Scaglietti Spyder 0684 FF40
    250 TR59 Fantuzzi Spyder 0766TR
    330 P Fantuzzi Spyder 0820
    330 P4 Fantuzzi Spyder 0856
    312 P 0880
    250 GT SWB Berlinetta Competizione 2417GT
    250 GTO 64 5571GT

The other great Swiss collection is Englebert Stieger's here in St. Gallen. He owns a large number of cars, most prominently 250 GTO 3589. His sons race a 512M and a 312 PB in the Historic Challenge.
    Mr. Perfetti's collection, as has been mentioned, forms the subject of the Cavalleria book series published several years ago. Here is a complete list of the cars in the collection:

512 S&M
    312 P/B
    500 F2
    375 F1
    F40 LM
    375 Plus
    315 S
    250 TR 59
    250 TR
    Dino 206 S
    P3 / 412 P
    250 SWB
    333 SP
    250 GTO
    250 LM
    250 SWB California

Regards
    Anatol

16. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Wasn't Obrist's collection stored somewhere in a bunker inside the Swiss Alps (Berner Oberland)? I read that somewhere (Schweizer Illustrierte?) and that it would have survived WW3. Stieger's collection I believe is somewhere in a warehouse.

I also remember Obrist (or was it Stieger?) being quoted in an interview on the question why he doesn't have a Testarossa from the eighties: "Why would I want that? Everybody drives a Testarossa these days." Yeah right, I wish...

Anatol, you metion "here in St. Gallen". So you live there? I went to HSG college.

17. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #142 writerguy, Mar 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    #143 dan360, Mar 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think its worth noting that Matsuda's collection includes a 308 GT4 (see picture). Having owned one I think its a great styled car and its different because its the only Bertone Ferrari of the last 30 years - obviously Mr Matsuda agrees :)

If you get to japan I recommend a visit + go to his Porsche collection as well which is just up the road. The driving roads around the mountains where the collection is are great, just don't go at the weekend when you'll be stuck behind a Smileee Bongo Friendlee people mover going 40 mph.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Speaking of car collections and the GT/4: Isn't that also the ONLY Ferrari Elvis ever owned? At least it is to my knowledge the only Ferrari on display in his car museum at his mansion.

20. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    Thanks, Spasso.

A collection to die for.

21. Anatol

Anatol Rookie

Jan 9, 2004
    Tifosi12,
    Yes, the Obrist collection was stored in a bunker near Gstaad. And Stieger has his Turning Wheel Collection somewhere in a warehouse in St. Gallen.
    I am from Vienna, Austria and I too studied at HSG college. Now I work as a consultant for Prof. Malik whom you might know.
    By the way, can anybody tell me how to quote from other posts?
    Thanks!

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yeah, I remember Malik well, but we're getting OT.

You quote by using the reply button within the message (on the right), don't use the big reply button on top (left).

23. vince308

vince308 Formula 3

May 23, 2003
    belgium
    Full Name:
    vincent
    i will look tonight what we have for collection in Belgium....

Know we have Swaters' collection
    288 GTO evoluzione
    166 MM
    F50 (first n°)
    F40 cut in 2
    355 cut in 2

we had the Blaton collection
    F40
    F40 LM
    F40 Spyder (1 in world)
    288 gto
    308 GT/m
    F1

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Do you have any more information on this collection in general and the GTO in particular?

Also is that the F40 Spider we have seen pics on FChat (under a tent at a race track)? Nevermind, I just found it. Same car.

25. keof50

keof50 Guest

will some one post the pic of the F40 spyder please, i have never seen it