Maserati Merck ?'s | FerrariChat

Maserati Merck ?'s

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by G-Car-Man, Feb 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G-Car-Man

G-Car-Man Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    South of Boston
    Full Name:
    Greg K
  2. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    Very pretty car the Merak, a friend of mine had one, you should look most important for history of work done to the car over its ownership, rust is a problem especially the chassis and lower body panels, the brake hydraulics can give trouble and the engine is very sensitive to regular servicing and oil changes, check compression for rings and head gaskets. Most of the usual stuff that applies to Italian exotics, but mechanically maseratis are pretty durable, this car is a v6 so performance wont be in the big league, lovely car though, and right now not expensive to buy.
    good luck
    stephen

3. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Very pretty car - more of a grand touring car that has really become a bargain in my opinion - in fact, if the car checks out, I'd say it was a good price.
    The Citroen high pressure hydraulics are the primary mechanical oddity. The car in the picture looks like an SS, which is more desirable. And no cambelts!
    Similar specs, but slightly less straightline spped than its contemporart competition, the 308GT/4. Parts and club support seem very strong.
    Good luck!

4. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

g-car man,

i owned a merak ss for a good many years and will be glad to answer very spcifically, any ?'s you might have about the cars and or the dealer that is representing the car in question.

i have also owned many other masers and still believe that they are hugely undervalued and the merak, bora, and ghibli are simply sexy and great drivers.

do let me know if i may help.

pcb

5. G-Car-Man

G-Car-Man Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    South of Boston
    Full Name:
    Greg K
    Thanks for the responses... I am requesting some additional pics tonight...

6. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Only drove one around the block. As my longing for one stopped when i sat inside, too small. Maybe prettier than a Mondial but otherwise i think the Mondial is a better value.
    Gullwing's example looks decent enough from the pic. Beware however as 90% of thier inventory are beaters.
    Here is a link to another Merak for sale from a great guy to deal with Peter Sweeney.

http://www.forza.weblobby.com/

7. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

while i hate to say it...i agree w/ dave on the status of the dealer...a bit shady.

on the size issue, i am 6-4 and felt as if the merak was huge inside. i drove mine over 6k miles over 3 years and my ss was really a great car. the cars seem too exotic for the money...a real value.

8. TheCarcierge

TheCarcierge Formula 3

Feb 1, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott Saidel

9. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    No question that you want to get a 79 + car. You need to check on the following:

1) When were the chains last changed
    2) Look below the gas tank for rust. They basically used house insulation. The problem is it hold water. Many cars look good but when you press around a bit your hand will go through them.
    3) Look on the bottom of the doors for rust.

I would agree with talking to FORZA instead. A friend here in DFW purchased a SS from them. Great car, great to deal with.

Personally they are a much better bang for the buck than a 308 (sorry guys)

Rodney