F1 transmission vs. a real MANual | FerrariChat

F1 transmission vs. a real MANual

Discussion in '360/430' started by Bart, Nov 13, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I might be wrong but I do know I can pop the clutch with a dead battery on my 550 in second gear and the car will start. How does the F1 transmission do that? Every car I have ever had has had the battery go dead at the very worst possible time. With my manual, I just pop it in second and away I go.

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Jay Leno was comparing the F1 system w a manual box. He said the F1 was like putting your schlong in a cow milking machine, its more efficient but less fun than the old fashioned way :)

3. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Push starting a manual transmission vehicle has long been a common practice when necessary.

This is one of the greatest hangups that the owners that I know of who have made the F1 vs. 6-speed manual decision faced IMHO. The impression is that is something fails, you're calling a flatdeck to carry you home.

4. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    a real man drives with a "MANual" transmission? I don't think so.

5. teflon

teflon Formula Junior

May 16, 2003
    Full Name:
    Greg A
    I do not know if this is the case w/Ferrari's F1 transmission, but BMW's SMG can be push started like a traditional manual. It is not a big deal.

Greg A

6. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    I think the manual is the way to go as well but I understand why the paddle shift exists. The new cars are so fast and the engines rev so quickly that the manual trans just can't do the job anymore. You can certainly imagine for example what it would be like to drive a modern F1 car on the trac with a manual clutch. Granted the street cars are'nt doing the same thing as the trac cars but Ferrari has always adapted F1 tech to there street cars. I personally think it is much more fun to shift the car myself but I bet it would be very difficult to beat an identical car with a paddle shift.

7. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I probably should have posted this in my Enzo ride post but I forgot. One of the most noticeable things about the Enzo is the shift strategy of the software in the Enzo vs. the 360. They finally got it perfect in the Enzo. there is none of that annoying blipping between shifts, and the entire process is as smooth as silk. On serious downshifts there is a perfect matching of revs much like a manually shifted transmission. On upshifts if just shifts.
    The best description is it combines the best of the 355 and the 360 plus what they have learned so far.
    There is simply no way a normal driver could approach the speed and consistency of the F1 in an Enzo.