Prancing Horse emblem on a 1986 3.2 Mondial | FerrariChat

Prancing Horse emblem on a 1986 3.2 Mondial

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 250lm, Feb 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 250lm

250lm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Niels Schouten
    Hi,

Does anyone know which Prancing Horse emblem should be on a front grill of a 1986 3.2 Mondial Coupe? Is it a flat one or a non-flat one? It is hard to find any of this info anywhere so I hope Mondial owners can help. I have seen them both on Mondials but I am not sure the were optional or after market. The 328 seems to have a flat one and a grill of the 3.2 should have been restyled to have a closer resemblence to the 328.

So anyone out there with an Mondial 3.2 that still has the original front grill horse emblem on it wants to check it out for me?

Thanks a million,

Niels

2. 250lm

250lm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Niels Schouten
    While at it, can you also give the measurments because there seems to be a lot of different ones available!

Niels

3. mondialmerle

mondialmerle Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Egg Harbor Township,NJ
    Full Name:
    Merle Graham
    I own a 86 coupe and there is a horse on the front grill. I do not think that it's flat.

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    It's the flat one - guessing wildly about 3 inches tall.
    Of course there could be variation - imagine that in a Ferrari!

5. stevej33

stevej33 Karting

Feb 16, 2004
    Lincoln, UK
    Full Name:
    Steve Jollands
    I guess you just lucky to have a 3.2.....
    My 3.0 QV has a 6" black armour plate rapped around it, front and rear!!
    what we call in the UK 'bumpers'........ Horrid things!!
    Has anyone seen these 'bumpers' colour-coded?? Do they look better,
    or just tacky??

steve j

6. stevej33

stevej33 Karting

Feb 16, 2004
    Lincoln, UK
    Full Name:
    Steve Jollands
    Try HGParts... Ive used them before, and they seem to have all the correct badges, and in stock!!

steve j

7. mondialmerle

mondialmerle Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Egg Harbor Township,NJ
    Full Name:
    Merle Graham
    after checking it is flat on my 86 coupe

8. 250lm

250lm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Niels Schouten
    Thanks guys,

So is it safe to assume, the flat one was the factory original and the raised one was optional or an after market edition?

Thanks,

Niels

9. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    when I bought my Mondial the bumpers were in colour, they look ok, I have stripped and repainted them as they started to show crack lines in the paint.
    Worth doing I think, I will see if I can find a decent photo and post.

10. stevej33

stevej33 Karting

Feb 16, 2004
    Lincoln, UK
    Full Name:
    Steve Jollands

that would be great if i could see what they looked like before attempting
    the job....
    thanks
    steve j

11. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I've seen Mondials in a number of colors, including red, white, blue, that the owner had painted the bumpers the body color. Personally, I thought it looked just OK, but not to the extent that I would have done it to my Mondial. I think when you paint the bumpers body color, it makes the lights in the bumpers more prominent. I would be curious to see an example where the side pieces were body color, and the bumpers left black. I have not seen that combination. Personally, I prefer the contrast of the stock black bumpers with a rossa corsa car. But, I also love the look of a black Mondial cab with the black bumpers.

12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Another option is to bolt on the 3.2 bumpers. Another Fchatter has done this and recently posted a photo of his really pretty blue qv with the later bumpers, but forget who.

Have seen a red Mondial 8 with painted bumpers, and while it was ok, the contrasting black stock seemed better. I think different colors have different effect.

Personal opinion only, but I think the a better way to improve the looks is to go to a 17" Speedline (2311) or other 5 spoke Ferrari type wheel (e.g., 2400SM at http://www.garedcars.com/default2.htm). Solves the metric issue as well.

good luck
    rt