1972 GTC4 Rear Welded Hold Down Strap under Rear Cross Member? | FerrariChat

1972 GTC4 Rear Welded Hold Down Strap under Rear Cross Member?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Barrett/Fl, Feb 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Barrett/Fl

Barrett/Fl Rookie

Feb 17, 2004
    I am assisting a client who has a 1972 GTC4 U.S. version which has had the rear crossmember damaged when a tow truck attempted to winch the vehicle onto it's roll back by hooking onto a tie down (?) bracket welded and located under the rear mid cross member area.
    This bracket (missing) was welded at the right and left ends of this bracket about 3 inches apart at the underside center of the rear cross member and would be easily visible when looking under the vehicle from rear to front.

I need to know:

1) was this a factory offerring perhaps to transport U.S. versions by ship?

If this was a factory installed item, how can I learn what its exact intent was for (tie down, towing etc.) and it's limitations (tie down only, NOT to be towed or pulled with etc.)

Any one have a US version they could look under to see if indeed theirs has such a bracket? I've written a gentleman in Germany and his doesn't have such an attachment.

Thank you in advance for any assistance in this regard. If you would, please e-mail me your response.

Thank you!

2. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Barrett - you have a private message.

Jim S.

3. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My euro version has the device you describe. It is a V shaped bracket, dead center of the cross member, just behind the fuel pump. \i ise it all the time to jack the rear end of the car up to perform work. I could take a picture and send it to you if that would help.

4. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Barret,

The "V" section welded in the centre of the rear cross member is there as a strenghtening measure to enable jacking up the rear of the car.

MW