If sheet metal could talk... | FerrariChat

If sheet metal could talk...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Jay GT4, Feb 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    The beauty (and grief) about these cars is their history, both from the factory's history and from what the owners and previous owners have done to them.

For example when I bought my car (75 Dino GT4) it was in pieces (See showroom). The previous owner had brought it up from Arizona to Toronto and then ran out of money. That's where I picked it up. During the restoration the entire car was striped down, I mean everything came out.

I noticed that the drivers side fuel tank was Euro, while the other side was US spec. Interesting. "It couldn't have left the factory like that could it?". Also realized that the back glass had been changed out to a clear piece of plexi. I know it didn't leave the factory like that! It Also had aluminum hubs in the back instead of the cast ones (my car is early, they were all cast). All of this didn't add up. What was going on?

Months later, I got to the inside of the car.The interior was redone in black by the previous owner and it was a real bad job, so while ripping out the "never used" carpet and seats to re-do it, I found a small piece of the original carpet tucked away under the rear seats. It was dark brown and the edges were burnt. Now it all started to fit together!

There must have been a fuel leak at one point which ignited causing the tank and rear window to be destroyed. They couldn't find a US tank so they put in a Euro tank and updated hubs. They probably didn't want to pay $600 for the rear glass and just cut a piece of plexi. They then cheaped out by putting in a cheap carpet and had the seats redone for close to nothing. Now it all makes sense!

What stories has your car told?

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It told me it had been handled by a bunch of cheap skate idiots for years, before reaching the all healing love of my two able hands.

Funny, the gf said the same thing!

Speedy "If you can't be the first be the best" 308

Now if I can just get rid of this 1977 cell phone antenna, drilled right thru the engine hatch!!!

3. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Ouch! Yes I found many times that the previous owners "cheaped out".
    This car has fought with me to get everything new! I got the bills to prove it:)

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hang in there! I checked my Reoriginals catalog, they have your wiper arms in stainless, brushed stainless, and black.

The stock ones are made of wire frames, kinda delicate looking. HTH

5. Sharris

Sharris Karting

Mar 19, 2002
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Sean Harris
    I am in the middle of redoing a 308 right now and it is talking plenty. Someday I will tell the story. The short version is it was a theft recovery out of Europe and was found in Utah. It is a combination of a few different 308s'. Color change, VIN change, engine change........ Still trying to sort it all out.

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, one quick story:

Whe I drove my car home, had LOTS of trouble with the ignition cutting off, then back on!

When we got back, investigated the twin MSD packs installed, wired to one 20A inline circuit breaker, the wiring was all covered with heat shrink insulation, someone had really put in the time. But instead of the recommended #10AWG to each unit, I stripped the insulation and found.........

speaker wire! 2#18AWG "paralleled" to each unit. No wonder that poor little CB was hot as a two dollar pistol! Went round and round with the MSD coils and units, eventually it all went in the trash!

7. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Nice story.

If my car could talk, it would talk about the beach... As I found sand as I removed the carpet.

Or it would talk about the alarm, cell phone, and CD changer it must have had at one time, as I removed a ton of old wires.

8. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Best advice to new Ferrari owners...

1st Don't do it! Buy a Honda :)
    2nd If you do buy it, DON'T CHEAP OUT!!!!

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'M putting the beach sand INTO mine! LOL

10. BoxerCrazy

BoxerCrazy Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2002
    Charleston WV
    Full Name:
    Douglas A Hunt
    NICE THREAD GUYS!!!!!!

makes me want one even more,so i can "listen" to every little story she will tell!!hahaha

doug

11. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    It's funner to put in than take out, I can assure you!

My Jeep sheet metal says :

"I would like to comeback as a Ferrari."

12. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    It was early May, 2014. i just got home from a book signing and there was an enclosed trailer sitting in front of my house. It was from Steve Harris Imports. After a long and hard search, Sean Harris had found a black NNO i had so desperately been seeking. She was in bad shape. Spent almost her entire life in a California living room; garage queen just wasn't the word. Sean took care of everything and the car had finally arrived. i felt a knot in my stomach and my eyes welled up with tears. Happiness had finally arrived.

After getting through all the technical crap (translation: unloading the car), i signed the necessary papers and the gentleman in the trailer was on his way back to Utah. From the corner of my eye, i could see a neighbor standing in front of his house, looking at my car. He was a fellow enthusiast. Now was not the time to chat, though. Now was the time to drive.

i pulled the door up and stood there, staring into the cockpit. My heart was already in the car. i descended in and it immediately felt like i was meant to be in this car from the very beginning of time. i brought the door down, sealing myself inside. My eyes danced around, caressing every part of the dash and the steering wheel. Within my head, millions of synapses raced from nerve ending to nerve ending; i couldn't decide what to do first. Finally, i collected my thoughts and started the car. The engine started up, then sat at a somewhat civil idle. She sounded good.

i sat in the car for a few minutes, letting it warm up. Thoughts raced through my head. The long road i came down to get here, the trials and tribulations, the pain, the anger, the sweat, the tears, the struggle- every single moment of my life flashed through my mind and then it all went blank. This car is what it all amounted to.

My leather-clad hands grasped the steering as two leather-clad fingers reached for the right paddle, pulling back then releasing it. i eased onto the gas and pulled away. From the corner of my eye, i spotted my neighbor's head turn as i passed. "i'll wave when i get back", i thought.

3 hours and a few hundred miles later, after romping through a considerable amount of Southern California, i was back home. Just as i pulled up, it started to rain. i parked the car in the driveway. As i got out, i just stood there in the rain, looking at my latest and most sought-after acquisition. As the rain came down, it mixed with the brake dust on the wheels. Black tears began streaming down the lines of the wheels. She was weeping. Weeping for joy. Joy of finally being free. She was telling me the first of many stories. And there was plenty of roads in California for me to hear everyone in detail.

13. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I can't believe you didn't offer your neighbor a ride. :)

14. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL...

Jerry, hypothetically, let's say you marry and find your wife enjoys swinging; ok, cool, no sweat, but wouldn't you want your first time together to be alone...? :)

The neighbor will get a ride next time.

15. Sharris

Sharris Karting

Mar 19, 2002
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Sean Harris
    Nice story, let's see 10 years, a black Enzo, I'll be here ready to go and have your Enzo waiting. Any one want to guess the value in 10 years?

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hmmm, not a Ferrari but if my Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV could talk I would love to find out the details about what looks like a stilleto heel hole in the hood lining, above the passenger seat :D

Other than that I am not sure I want to know how the previous owners managed to damage her and look after her so bad ... :(

Pete

17. milstanselnino

milstanselnino Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jon P.
    Despie numerous MG's and a Mondial, the only interesting story was the hash pipe I found under the driver's seat when I was cleaning my new-to me Taurus SHO.

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think you bought my neighbor's car!!

Most of it's brand new, he ran it under the rear of a MOVING 18 wheeler!

19. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    PSK wrote:
    I would love to find out the details about what looks like a stilleto heel hole in the hood lining, above the passenger seat

ooooooooooooooooo, my truck mounted camper has one of those in it.

The previous owner, a friend of mine, was driving down the toll road from Tijuana to Ensenada Mexico. Some American lunatic with a rifle was taking pot shots at passing traffic from the top of a hill. The bullet came in the drivers side window of the camper, passed through the formica countertop, out the face of the cabinets, into the floor and out the bottom of the truck bed. The holes in the counter and floor are filled with Silicone caulk and I have a "Not no stories" Lance camper

Erich

20. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I've found evidence to suggest that my car might have been flooded at one time.....pretty much everything in the cas shows signs of oxidation, including very hard-to-reach parts internal to the body. The manuals to the car had been soaked and left to mildew/rot ($500+ in documentation, most all of it unusable). A recent repaint of the car. Electrical issues, corroded electrical contacts, dim lights, etc.

Or, it could just be a 20-year-old car.....and I'm paranoid/anal. But...?

21. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    During college, I had an issue of DuPont Registry with an ad for a 250 LWB California Spyder. The owner had detailed history of some Mexican/Latin leader being assasinated in the car, and the original bullet holes remained in the floor pan......

I wonder if that still comes up at the Concourse Meets.

22. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    For me, it will be priceless. :)

23. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    You Bet

There are a bunch of cars out there with "Stories"

I think Cavalino did an article on Juan Peron's ex car.....

24. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Rubirosa's also. There was a player!

25. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast