355 Aftermarket Radios | FerrariChat

355 Aftermarket Radios

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by richard_wallace, Feb 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Anyone of you F355'ers have any suggestions on which aftermarket Radio (Brand/Model) has the best fit in the provided space. Manual is no help here and the internet sites such as crutchfield has no specific listings for the 355... I was hoping to buy via the internet and install myself...

Any help/suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
    Rich Wallace

2. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

The original radio is a Sony, just rebadged with the ferrari logo.

Alpines seem to work great, just get the standard DIM size radio.

Good Luck.

3. zan

zan Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2002
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Mark M
    Alpine 9813 in 3 way mode, I installed one in my 355 with stock speakers, sounds great, could hear music top down on highway with Tubi. Looks stock, black face, button color matches instruments.
    3 way mode bi-amps system, removes fader function, highs go to tweeters,(front), lows got to woofers, (rear), crossover freq. & slopes digially adjustable, 60W x 4, (27w clean). Only additional wiring is to tweeters, just pop out vents.
    Also plays mp3 & wma, can burn 200 songs on one cd.

Best upgrade without changing speakers or adding amp.

Mark

4. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Thanks guys for your suggestions!

5. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    The 355 is easy because it fits any standard size head unit. Before changing the head unit though, I would greatly recommend upgrading the speakers, because this change alone might make the difference you're looking for.

I went a little further and installed an Eclipse head unit and CD changer, a woofer/amplifier box in the trunk and installed upgraded speakers all around, including two midrange speakers, one behind each seat. I also did it in such a way that everything can be returned to the original setup without a trace.

Btw, Alpine is a great choice for a head unit, but get what you need and not just the most expensive one with all the gadgets you may never use.

Best of luck.
    David

6. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    David,

Thanks for that... I think that is what I will do as well - I am going to upgrade the speakers, and put in an 700 series Clarion with a small in the luggage area.

The radio I have in now is an older Kenwood - which some of the buttons are not working well - like the volume - have to keep pushing on it a dozen times before it adjusts.

It will be nice to have something I can hear (when not listening to the engine) on those summer cruises!

Thanks,
    Rich