XJ220 questions | FerrariChat

XJ220 questions

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by bluekawala, Feb 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    I know it turned out to be not quite what Jaguar said it would with a turbo V6 and not the V12 etc but its still a magnificent car! I was wondering if anyone has driven this car and if so what their thoughts were on it. I can't find many articles explaining the experience. How hard do the turbos kick in (agressive like an 80's 911 turbo or a smooth power delivery)? What are the controls like? Does it feel large and heavy (for a supercar) or does it feel quite nimble?

And were there any special models made? I've seen yellow and black versions with higher wings and big fog lamps etc were these examples factory or aftermarket? Finally how are the prices on this car? I read in EVO they could be had for around 150k pounds... about 225-275k US dollars? Thanks for amy input everyone.

2. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I haven't driven one but I have looked into getting one. There were 283 standard XJ220's made and 6 of the XJ220 S versions with lightweight bodywork, more horsepower etc. The S is over 600 lbs lighter with about 150 hp more.
    The standard car is exceedingly fast and the horsepower is probably underated at 540. The brakes are the weak point on the standard car, and they do suffer from heat soak in the engine compartment just like our beloved Modenas. You can get a very good car for under 200,000 dollars. The low mileage examples usually need work to make them useable; new fuel tank bladders, engine seals and upgrades, etc.
    You can get them into the US under the Show and Display rules without having to do any DOT modifications for around $25,000.
    The original concept was an all wheel drive car with a V12. The car was just too heavy and the V12 made it too long, thus the final iteration being a V6 with rear wheel drive.
    On an interesting note; the car is very strong. The car was tested with a static load of 20,000 lbs (10 tons) of weight loaded on top of the roof. There was so little deflection the windshield didn't even break. You could probably get an exemption to run this car in the Silver State Classic without adding a rollbar because of its inherent strength.
    A fantastic car and a beautiful design that hit the market at precisely the wrong time.

3. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
  4. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    225-250k max, 275k is on the high side.

5 TWR modified versions

Has competed in Le Mans as private entries however only did well once (tranny issues).

There were a handful in a factory warehouse still unsold, wrapped up completely in plastic as of 2 years ago.

They kick in and accelerate you like the hand of god, to quote one owner. Ask Byron who managed to ride in the XJ220-S on our Supercar drive less than 2 weeks ago.

They are as long as the sedans, 6 1/2 ft wide, and as heavy as a C5. They are not particularly nimble but feel fat. They can by the numbers compare to a Lotus Esprit on the skidpad and in the slalom but most owners never drive the cars like that.

In a straight line contest, check out the Top Gear F40 vs XJ220 video. Only a few cars can out accelerate it. For some, that and the shape are enough.

The twin turbo V6 was better for weight distribution and more economical. Also, the engine was not fully developed by Jaguar and it was easier than developing the V12 for a supercar application. The XJ13 was the last performance V12 Jaguar devised on their own. Edit: I wanted to add that the XJR-S is still the same street engine with a modified cam, ignition, and intake. A true Lister XJS along with the XJR-S are the last big V12's since Ford has taken them over.

Sunny