Loose TR 1988 wheel | FerrariChat

Loose TR 1988 wheel

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Frari, Nov 9, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    I have recently just had my tr,s clutch done and have now had a problem with my drivers side rear wheel coming loose. First time was after about 8 miles so i blamed the service guys but since then it has come loose again even after they supposedly heaved on it with an extension bar although I did not witness this. I have since done it up myself and it seems ok but are there any suggestions. i like to drive my car hard and at present have that niggling doubt. Any suggestions
    Tony

2. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I would simply drive the car and check it every few miles until that nagging feeling goes away. Is there some reason they had to remove the wheels to service the clutch? I used to use the "extension bar" method but have since went back to the factory lead hammer method. I think I can get it tighter with the lead hammer, although it's hard to know when you have the 325 ft/lbs of torque applied as specified. I just pound away until the bolt is barely moving, and have never had a problem. Just keep a watchful eye on all the wheels for a while.

3. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    I saw that they took off the wheels at the rear to remove rear bumper and tray so exhaust etc could be removed. I find it difficult to swing the hammer and keep the spanner on the nut it slips off easily. i have since bought a socket and pick it up today so will try with that. i may have to buy some new nuts with squarer edges.

4. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    The best way to do it is with the factory socket ($200) and an extension bar.

But if you notice...the threads are different from side to side....this will generally cause them to tighten as you drive.

5. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    Is it possible to get the nuts mixed up eg on the wrong side and they undo instead of doing up or is this not possible. Tony

6. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    It's not possible to mix the nuts up, not unless the hubs have been off as well and have been fitted to the wrong side. One of the problems with haven driven with a loose wheel nut is that you may have caused some damage to the wheel cone as well as the securing nut.

Two things to check, with the wheel nut tight, jack up the car and with the handbrake off hold the wheel and rock it side to side and see if there is any play between the wheel and the nut - you may have the situation that the nut is tight (325ft. lbs) but not clamping the wheel. Also you should have a small amount of grease on the splines and the cone surfaces.

MW

7. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    Thankyou all for your thoughts. There is a small amount of grese on the spline. i have invested in a socket and bar so will give that a go and will check for any damage to spline area as suggested. I will take her out this evening and test. Tony

8. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Tony - forgive my inquiry, but I believe that in 1988 the Testarossa had 5 lug wheels. Mine is an 1986 with the center nut (42 mm), but I thought that towards the end of 1987 they went to the dual mirror and 5 bolt wheels.

One of us is on the wrong planet (not my first time in space).

Jim S.

9. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    Hi Jim the 1988.5 model had the 5 lug wheels. the previous up to 1988 had centre single nut you will notice a lot of recommendation by ferrarichatters for those interested in a tr to buy an 88.5 model regards Tony

10. johnbob

johnbob Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Oklahoma
    I have a 1986 TR and prefer the look and idea behind the single nut wheels. I have recently upgraded to HRE 18" polished rims and the center nut wheel in my opinion has a much cleaner look than the 5 lug design.
    But the real reason for the post, I have been using a brass hammer to secure my wheels, I also have a 427 Cobra with center lock wheel and have not had problem with loosening on either car. I am very interested in purchasing a socket for the Ferrari and was planning to use a torque wrench to verify the tightness achieved with the brass hammer. Has anyone got the part number for the socket or is this something the Ferrari dealer would be readily familiar with?
    In measuring the nut it appears a 75 MM socket would work, is this correct?
    Thanks,
    John

11. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If it's a stock wheel nut, only if the socket is octagonal ;)...

12. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I had an 88.5 TR (Nov. build date) with single nut. A nut came off at speed. FNA changed all 4 cornors on my car. My car was not the only one with this prob. I'd contact them. There is a prob. and they are aware of it.

13. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    Thanks for your info John. I have had a socket made as the ferrari shops in australia are over the top with prices here . This socket would cost about $400aus and the one i had made was $150. I haven't had a chance to tighten with it yet will try tonight and fingers crossed i won't need any further work. regards tony ps there was an actual ferrari torque wrench and extension handle sold on ebay a few weeks ago i missed it by about $30 it sold for about $400us it would have been perfect. there must be another one out there somewhere.

14. GREENHOUSE

GREENHOUSE Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    MIKE
    I WAS ALSO BIDING ON THAT SCOKET ON E-BAY.WHERE DO YOU GET THOUSE SCOKETS FOR $200.00 I COULD USE ONE. I MADE A SOCEKT BUT MINE IN KIND OF ROUGH.

15. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    The ferrari dealer here lent me theirs and i took it to an engineering shop and had one made. Have now tightened using this tool andseems ok but have noticed a wheel squeak. Engineer thinks that maybe the case hardening on the inner cone may be worn and may need to be rectified. Will tighten again when cold and see if it fixes squeak Tony

16. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    What or when does it squeak? I would think it's something else maybe brake related, or trim ring related. The wheels should not squeak, there is no way for the mounting surfaces to "slide" once the wheel is tightened down. Has anyone else had or heard of a wheel squeak?

17. billh

billh Karting

May 2, 2002
    central mass
    Full Name:
    Bill Henderson
    Yes there is actually, this happened to me.

I had a constant squeak or high frequency noise coming from my rear right wheel. I thought it was a wheel bearing going south because when I jacked it up, I could rock the wheel ever so slightly. the noise I thought was a brake seal (e-brake) rubbing on something.

after looking into it, I found that grease had hardened from the heat and collected on the wheel cone. that is where the wheel actually makes contact with the hub. it builds up in little "solids" and when you torque the wheel down, you dont get a good seat. I took the wheel off cleaned it up with lots of brake cleaner and a wire brush. Applied new high temp wheel bearing grease to the spline and torqued down the wheel. voila! no more rocking wheel and squeaking drive.

key is to be sure that the spline and mating cone surfaces are super, super clean. then regrease.

Bill

18. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    Yes I have had this before and replaced bearing and did a brake kit and still had the squeak I have now tightened the wheekl and seems like this is now ok. I will be taking the tr for a reasonable drive this weekend so fingers crossed it will be ok will keep you all up to date. regards tony

19. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    Have taken her out for a 200kl spin and seems as though it has settled down. Needed an extension bar so we could get enough weight behind the socket to do up the wheels. managed to move all about a half inch so I am more confident that they are as tight as they should be. Thank you all for your input regards Tony