Central Meeting Location - Orange and LA County Members! | FerrariChat

Central Meeting Location - Orange and LA County Members!

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Tipo815, Feb 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    With all the discussion about Crystal Cove and possibly "post Crystal Cove" if they shut it down - we need to think about alternative meeting places that will continue the tradition of getting together on a regular basis. For the time being I am going to be selfish and only worry about us - the Ferrari guys.

There was talk about congregating once a month somewhere. I have not heard anything recently. I do know of one place that might work for us on the occasional Saturday morning. Additionally, it is very centrally located between Orange and LA County. Parking is substantial and more importantly - safe! To top it off it is a great place to have an early lunch by the water!

I happen to have a "relationship" with the Yard House Restaurant chain. The first ever Yard House was built in Long Beach on Shoreline Drive. It is about a 25 minute drive north up Coast Highway through Belmont Shore from Newport Beach. It is about the same distance south on the 405 to the 710 south.

For those of you who have patronized a Yard House or the Long Beach location specifically - you know that it would be a great place to congregate and have lunch. The Long Beach location is in Shoreline Village which is on the water right across from the Hyatt Long Beach. I am almost positive that I can get the parking spaces in front of the restaurant roped off for a dozen or more cars. I can then get us any size table for lunch on the deck.

A possible scenario might be to meet in Long Beach around 10:30am on a given Saturday. The restaurant officially opens at 11:30am but we could gain access at 11am or earlier if necessary. It is not something to do every Saturday but certainly something to consider once a month or every other month as a central meeting place for the Orange and LA County members to meet. Besides - for us in OC it would be a nice drive up PCH through Huntington Beach and Belmont Shore!

Let me know what you guys think.

2. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Jeffrey,
    I like it! :) Hmmm... we were going to do Newport for 2/29...maybe we should all try to meet at Yard House instead? How's the parking situation over there? I've been there before, but if I recall, it's just open public parking, right? Any "connections" for some reserved parking? :)

Byron

3. Fiercsm

Fiercsm Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    Jeffrey,

I think that this is a great idea! It would also be nice to accomodate both LA and OC folk in terms of convenience. Count me in! Also, would there be an opportunity for a short fun drive?

Edward

4. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Jeffrey, that sounds like a pretty interesting idea. I haven't eaten at the Yard House yet but have driven by it several times. A while back I saw a nice Porsche 356 parked next to a red 355 spider right in front of it :)

5. TheScarletStang

TheScarletStang Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Irvine, California
    Full Name:
    Sean Salter
    Man and i was just getting used to Crystal Cove.......but it does sound like a good idea! worth the drive for me

6. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    Sounds good to me! I don't know where the Yard House Restaurant is but it sounds nice! I think I know where Shoreline Village is because I think I ate at another restaurant there. Isn't it just a bunch of Restaurants surrounding a parking lot? Also, do the restaurants look old-fashioned? I don't know if i am thinking of the right location, and I can't describe very well :(. Well, almost off to Chicago! I will probably have internet access there so keep an eye out for me.

-David

7. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Have fun David. Chicago is one of my favorite cities!! Well, the airport is :)
    Can you believe I flew to Chicago for 2 days JUST to stay at the airport and take pictures of planes...It was a blast though. If you keep your eye open you can see some really rare aircraft that the west coast doesn't get --specifically some airlines from Europe.

8. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Byron -

I can get the front row of parking spaces blocked off for us in front of the restaurant. I would need to know when and how many spaces we would need. We can always try it one Saturday and see how it goes. If it does not work we'll move on to somewhere else. Just let me know a date and I'll take care of the rest.

The nice things about it are the central location, a great restaurant, and an awesome outside deck to congregate on. We used to frequent the Yard House two or three times a month with the offshore powerboating club. Unfortunately, the Long Beach marina took away the guest docks in front of the restaurant and turned them into monthly rentals!

Anyway, I'll leave it to you to determine "when" and then we'll give it a try. Here is a link to the location:

http://www.yardhouse.com/location.asp?id=1

Jeffrey

9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Sounds too formal, I much prefer the parking lot casualness of CC.

10. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Same here...hence why I like the Crystal Cove event.

We need to differentiate a "Crystal Cove" like replacement from a more formal gathering (which Byron has done in the other thread). I think the other appeal of Crystal Cove is that most of the people that show up are somewhat local.

11. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    You need to schedule it or make it more formal if your only inviting local F-chatters. Part of the attraction of Crystal Cove is, your friends might not be there, but there will be a lot of other people with a lot of other types of cars.

Are you prepared to meet each weekend and crap shoot if there will be no one showing up? I doubt you go to CC just for the Starbucks ;)

Sunny

12. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    Thanks Jordan. I finally got some internet here at my Grandma's house which is actually like 30 miles south of Chicago. We went for my Uncle's wedding and we had a a lot of fun. Tomorrow we are heading back home so I will be home late that night, and school the next day :(. I'll keep my eyes out for some cool planes for you Jordan but I don't really know much about them. If I see something cool, I'll try to get a shot of it with the digital.

-David

13. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Awesome David, Id appreciate it!

14. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    A trip down Shoreline Dr. in the F40 (think indycars here) to the Yardhouse sounds like fun. Count me in. But secure parking down there is a must.

Rick

15. Ron

Ron Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2002
    LA
    They will have already started putting up the bleachers for the race in April. Taking Shoreline at speed with the bleachers up is pretty cool.

16. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    I forgot about the bleachers for the Long Beach GP. It might be very cool to make a "round" one day. Let's see what Byron thinks. If you guys want to give it a try - let me know. I'm happy to give it a shot if anyone wants to do it.

Jeffrey

17. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Hey guys... I'm in for sunday. Yard house for a late morning meeting sounds like good fun... I'm almost itchin' to do a drive that morning, too! :) Hmmm... drive then lunch? Or breakfast then drive?

Btw, jeffrey, no need to ask me about doing the bleachers... I used to love doing that on my race bike... that was SO awesome to hear! I would love to hear the F40 roar through there!

Ok... so it looks like we're on for sunday. What time should we meet there? J - can you talk to the manager to secure a few spots out front for the F-Cars?

Byron

18. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    We should have an opening ceremony and reinact the Gumball Rally and all drive down Qeen's way and end up near the Boat across the way.We could ask Linda Vaughn to greet us!!!!!!

19. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Who is going to run a Daytona up the LA River? Love that movie.....

20. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Reinact the Gumball Rally? Who wants to drive the speed limit? LOL ;)

Sounds like fun. I said I would go to Calabasas this weekend without remembering the 29th, whoops! Too much going on. Count me in for this weekend.

Sunny

21. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Byron -- I like the drive idea! I'm up for it before and/or after breakfast/lunch.

22. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Yardhouse ceme brulee yummmmmm

Well at Triangle squaere in Newport, the parking is a garage, underground.

My dad has a friend that is in charge of redeveloping ports of call village, we can get it desgnated as a ferrari only zone (with plenty of police protection) when the multi million dollar rennovation is over, but until then, it seems like the LB/Seal Beach Area is going to be it. Perhaps the Los Alamitos race track bring our ponies to the ponies ;)

There is whole shoreline village thing but there is nothing to do there.

23. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Im in for Sunday!

Whats the set meeting time?

24. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    Sorry Jordan, I wan't able to find any, and the camera was burried in a bag somewhere. I partly didn't see any nice planes because we flew out of mid-way airport, not the actual Chicago air port.

Maybe we can get some guys to go to an air show sometime whenever the next one comes.

Sorry,
    David

25. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    O.K. guys, I'm a little confused. Is this just like a little get together with a drive? I thought that this Sunday was "the last sunday of the month" GTG. Does this mean that this drive counts as "the last sunday of the month" thing? Sorry about this, I'm a little tired from the plane flights and can't think straight. Some clarification would be helpfull.

Thanks,
    David