2 oil plug crush rings on a 328? | FerrariChat

2 oil plug crush rings on a 328?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by battman, Feb 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. battman

battman Karting

Dec 1, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    Hello all,

I'm in the process of changing the oil for the first time on my (new to me) 1986 328. A few questions:

Does anyone know the size of the star socket head that fits correctly on the '86 328 oil plug? A T60 star socket took it off, but there was a lot of slop in the fit and I'd prefer not to round off my Ferrari drain plug. :)

After removing the oil plug from the drain pan (yea, I dropped it in...), I got to inspect this rather odd looking plug for the first time. It had the copper crush ring that I'd read about (something like 27.3mm OD, 22.5mm ID, 1.5mm thick), but there was also a second ring...that looked rather crushed...almost destroyed. It was silver colored (not copper) and seemed to be a very soft metal. It had actually conformed around the copper crush ring such that the copper crush ring almost looked to be recessed into a groove in the slightly larger metal (silver) crush ring. The dimensions were just larger than the copper ring, but they may not have started out that way. My question is: is this supposed to be here? I'm assuming someone didn't have the correct copper crush ring and added this second crush ring in hopes of not leaking? Hopefully this is the cause of the oil drip on my garage floor!

And lastly, after a lot of searching on the forum, I haven't found a good source for the correct copper crush ring. Did I read that NAPA carries something in this size?

Many thanks! Battman

2. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    One crush ring, either aluminum or copper, effects the seal on my '87 328. My 328 takes a socket wrench, I forget what size however. The light colored crush ring is more than likely aluminum. Either Cu or Al works when used alone.

3. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Jeff
    308 takes one, copper. I am sure 328 is the same. There was a group buy some time ago, otherwise, pick up a few at your local dealer, I don't recall them being expensive.

From memory it is a 12mm allen socket. Craftsman/Snap-On etc stock. The repeated heating and cooling cycles tend to mean it gets in there pretty tightly.

4. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    I've never heard of using two crush rings. As you mentioned it is possible that someone was trying to better seal a leaking plug. I have only used single copper crush rings in my 308 QV. However, I have seen aluminum, cardboard, and plastic ones in other cars.

Kind Regards, Chris

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Why so much problems acquiring crush rings?

I live 1 mile from Global Metric in Belmont CA, and they sell that stuff by the vats full. They have it in copper, in aluminum, in all sizes, and for pennies each.

I picked up a bunch from them and now have a life-time supply of crush rings if I do just 1 oil change a year. Want some?

6. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Hi Battman,

I am in the proces of doing my first oilchange too. How did you lift the car?

Ton

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Our sponsor www.sodacoms.com has supplied me with all my crush rings.

Most Ferrari drain plugs require the sorta hard to find 12mm hex. That's what my 328 has. I finally found one at www.sears.com, Snap On would have one too, but much more expensive.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Easiest for the 328 is to buy the plastic ramps from Wal-Mart or wherever. I put them on a slight downhill and back up on them. No jack or jack stands required.

Make sure to get one of the large open drain pans as all the oil comes out in a few seconds.

9. battman

battman Karting

Dec 1, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    Yep, I lifted it just as Rob328gts said...

10. atheyg

atheyg Guest

The 328 has a hex bolt for the oil drain, their is a 10mm hex plug that drains the trans fluid on the bottom of the trans.

2 crush rings would not be as effective as one, Pep Boys sells copper crush rings or any Porsche parts dist ill have aluminum washers.

I used a 1/2" fibre washer fom Pep Boys for my oil drain plug and it worked perfect

11. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    I did exactly as Rob Lay did...bought the hex heads from snap on etc...

12. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Rob,

Isn't it a problem that the car is not standing horizontally when you change the oil?

And don't you have a problem with the front spoiler (touching the ground) when you back up on those plastic ramps?

Ton

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Not that I know of, actually it drains more oil out. All the Ferrari mechanics I see without a lift just jack up the back, so this would be at a similar angle.

Anyone see any problems with draining the oil at an angle?

Nope, that's why it helps to be on a little downhill. The spoiler only gets within about 2 inches of the ground.

14. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Thanks Rob,

I will try it myself this week! I will let you know the result.

Ton