WW2 Airman's VC up for sale------------- | FerrariChat

WW2 Airman's VC up for sale-------------

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by tonyh, Feb 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  2. NY Joe 360

NY Joe 360 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    New York
    Full Name:
    Joe
  3. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Bravery and modesty beyond words.
    Dave McGuire

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks for sharing this story. It does make one think, yes?

Take Care, Dale

5. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Damn. Great story.

The Lancaster was wood and cloth, if I recall, wasn't it?

Ed

6. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Lancasters are kind of like B-24's i think.

I've said before and i'll say it again- airmen in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam were smoe ofthe mose brave men. Nowadays you are pretty sure you'll make it bcak alive,. but back then you really had no idea.

7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Tim, one of the best stories about WWII, and there are many, many great stories, was the battle of Midway. There is no written record, but apparently the briefing went like this: "Men, Intel says that the Japanese fleet is 300 miles that-a-way. Your mission is to find them and drop torpedo bombs on them."

Not one of the Aviators in the room pointed out that their planes only had a 500 mile range. Not one of the Aviators pointed out that they had never practiced dropping torpedos from their planes. Indeed, not one of the Aviators mentioned that a year or two earlier that most of them had been in high school or college with dating the biggest thing on their minds.

Only one came back alive.

I sometimes wonder if, as a country, if we still have the right stuff. I sure hope so.

Take Care, Dale

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks Tonyh.

9. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Dale, thats why i'm about 90% sure i want to join the marines after graduation. I feel as if serving our country should be mandatory. You leanr things you couldnt learn anywhere esle, like how to be a leader. This is why GE has a specail career track for officers coming out of the service. This way i will be able to but my ME degree to use also.

10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    God speed, my friend and good luck

11. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Thanks for sharing that.
    It is amazing what "Average Joe's" are capable of when the call comes.

Not too long ago there was an obit in the New York Times of a Medal of Honor winner. I had just watched a PBS special featuring him and the other Americans who did incredible things and were awarded the medal. The obit was almost a mirror to this article. The man never really talked about the war and never really took the medal out of his dresser drawer.

The Heroic nature of the gesture is one thing but the character of "I didn't do anything special" seems to be the thing common among almost all the stories like this i have read.

Can you imagine yourself being able to do the same? Dark, 22,000 feet with anti aircraft fire and a german fighter and thinking "Hey I Bet I can climb out on that wing...."

12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    BTW, don't know if I have told this story before, but my Dad was going through OCS in Jax when Pearl Harbor was bombed. They gave him a choice of Navy or Marines. He choose Navy cause he didn't like the blood stripe on the Marines uniform. He said that this choice saved his life because he ended up flying PBYs instead of the tail draggers that the Jarheads flew. Turns out that trying to land on a jungle airstrip with your nose up in the air is not good. Landing a plane on 3 foot chops was no easy thing, but it beat crashing into trees.

Anyrate, I'm proud of you and, even though I don't really know you, I'm betting that this is one decision that you will not regret.

Take Care, Dale

13. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I agree about the pilots during the abovementioned wars. I served aboard a guided missile frigate during Viet Nam on air intercept control. I had the opportunity to speak with many of these guys while they were on their missions and it always amazed me at how calm they could stay in most situations. On our computerized monitors we could see their pulse repetition rates, blood pressure, amount of fuel left on board and status of ammo. I would watch their PRR go up dramatically during strikes and fights but their demeanor, for the most part, would remain focused and articulate.

The helicopter pilots who flew into heavy fire always amazed me. I spoke to many over the net that did not come back. To all these guys I continually lift a prayer for their families and thank them for their valor and courage. Until you are around it, you just cannot realize what these guys face.

I salute anyone who is going to serve this country in one of the branches of the service. It takes a lot of dedication to put part of your life on hold to go out for others sakes. Without this dedication, I fear this country would not be what it is today. While not always agreeing with our leaders actions,(LBJ in Viet Nam) I support our nation and would again serve to protect it if need be. If you are serving or going to serve, I take my hat off to you in honor. God speed and God bless................

14. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Tim - I went to the Marine Corps Law Enforcement Foundation dinner last night. It was a wonderful event. The Marines are a good bunch of guys. Best of luck.

15. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    BTW it is illegal to sell the Congressional Medal of Honor.

16. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Good stuff Tone, truly good stuff.

DL

17. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

That was the Mosquito.

18. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Ensign George Gay.

19. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I will take Military History for $500.00

20. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    God bless you Tim.

21. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    haha - very impressive

22. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
  23. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
  24. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    It's not my place to say. But, trust me on this one, Zack knows what he is talking about here.

Dr "Beat Army" Tax

25. atheyg

atheyg Guest

My dad went into the Marines in the 60s,they trained him on the first new computers then which gave him his start as a programmer.

My grandfather was a decorated crew chief and flew B17s over Germany in WW2 he had so many Medals I couldn't count them all, never talked much about the war, but had good friends he met their all his life, one who was portayed in the movie "The Great Escape", he was a POW in Germany, escaped, shaved his legs, put on a dress and rode a bicycle thru Germany to freedom, he was a very funny kind of crazy guy still even in his later years.

Last my youngest sister is a Russian Linguistics tech in the Army.