While we're on the subject of guitars | FerrariChat

While we're on the subject of guitars

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by GrigioGuy, Feb 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I've had a cheap electric sitting here next to the desk for about a year and still haven't started to play it. It's time that changed. Any advice on the best self-teaching method? Are any of the DVD+book combos any good, or should I just suck it up and get a real tutor? I'm not a musician, but I was a drummer in a past life :D

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    so have you ever played the guitar at all?

I'd say get a teacher and try it out. might be a good initial investment in your time and also a personal motivator to actually start picking things up. however, after working with various teachers, it depends how they compliment your playing/learning style and what you want to get out of it.

if memory serves corretly, some 15 years ago, the going rate was 10-15 a half hour and about 20 an hour. but that was quite a while ago.

you could also inquire with a friend that plays and have him or her show you a few positions and something to get you started.

3. Chenrezi

Chenrezi Karting

Feb 10, 2003
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Miguel
    Wow 20 an hour?
    In here we pay 30 to 40 an hour depending on how good the teacher is...
    And this isn't even London or some big metropoly.
    Anyway, I used to play thorugh this book, "the mechanics of metal".
    I'm not a metaller in any way, but that book has loads of exercises and technics that are good to practice.
    I had classes too though.
    One year of classes plus 6 years of practicing right now.
    Try playing some Nirvana stuff. That's pretty easy and will direct you into some chords and rythms that you can use for other stuff.

Best wishes and good luck!

Miguel

4. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Like I said, that was 15 years ago. I'm quite sure things have changed since then.

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I've just kinda plunked at it, but nothing sounds worse than a beginning guitar player. I think lessons are probably the best bet, at least that way I can learn a quick blues riff or something to make me feel better.

Fortunately the Univerisity of North Texas is just up the road with its excellent music program. There's got to be a starving student up there that will teach.

6. trevi

trevi F1 Rookie
    Owner

May 19, 2003
    Switzerland
    no, a beginning violin player! ;)

7. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Indeed! Take note of this resource. Food and ten bucks would certainly be a great incentive for an hour's time in the eyes of a starving college student.

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

East Coast prices, Suburban Philadelphia, at least for my kid who's doing guitar 101, is $20/half hour for a good teacher.

A great teacher, one who teaches advanced students, who is at a college nearby is $50 per hour.

Just chiming in with EC Prices.

Dave

9. yesod

yesod Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Lakeland,fl
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I was a guitar teacher for six years and I definetley recommend some lessons to at least get you started. It is kind of hard to get rid of some of the improper techniques that alot of self taught players develop. Your playing will develop more quickly if you have some instruction.

10. yesod

yesod Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Lakeland,fl
    Full Name:
    Keith