575M replacement........... | FerrariChat

575M replacement...........

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by kizdan, Feb 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

What would you like to see for the replacement to the 575M?

1. Retain current front-engine layout.

2. Go back to a mid-engine design.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    What would you like to see...........

2. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    Hmm, Enzo inspired V12, mid-engined, head turner, very, very fast...
    :))

3. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    I like the front engined designs, they should keep the line up diverse. The 360/400 Modena is already a mid engined car.

4. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    V12 has to go back to mid engined at least for me to look at buying one.

5. formula1joe

formula1joe Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Bennett
    Keep it up front.

6. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Bring back the mid-12!

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    It will be front engined. And made of aluminum.

8. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I think that they would need to make it mid-engined to make it look exciting. This isn't likely though so I'm not getting my hopes up.

9. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    People seem to be favoring the front engine layout, why is this? Theres already the 612 for that market segment (though it is spectacularly ugly).

Id like to see a TR type of car, mid engine, flat 12, crazy bodywork, etc.

Maybe what Ferrari will do ( I hope) is make a 2 seat super-grand-tourer based on a shortened 612 chassis, price it in the same range as the 575 (sub-$300) and develop a V12 mid engined supercar to compete with the Carrera GT etc., based on the 428 Monza platform, priced about 350-400k.

10. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL

Exactly what I was thinking. Indeed, hopefully they'll build both! ;) I'm sure there is a market for each car.

11. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i voted mid-engine. i'd like to see a return to that. plus it might make the maranellos more valuable over time ;).

leave the front-engined ultra-GT stuff for the 612 four-seater.

take the two-seater twelve and try to shunt it more towards a real performance car than just a GT.

doody.

12. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would want it to remain front-engined.

13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Clax, a front-engineed car drives very differently from a mid-engine. Mid-engine cars tend to be very neutral until the breaking point and, then, blam, you're in the weeds. A front-engineed car tends to initially understeer and then transition to oversteer. A lot of us old farts prefer the predictability of what we grew up with. My Mary-Nello might not corner as crisp as say a 512, but there are no surprises. When the back end finally steps out, you are ready for it.

Dr "If God Had Meant For Us To Spin, He'd Would Have Given Us Mid-Engineed Cars First" Tax

14. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Exactly my thoughts. Keep the 612 and go for a killer V12 Mid Engine car an updated modern 512 BB..

15. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    It looks like a photo finish so far.

16. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I would like a mid engine, but it has already been confirmed that it will be based on the 612 platform.

17. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
    This sounds evil :) Convinced.
    But a "modern 512 BB" with killer V12 Mid Engine ? That's the Enzo!

I rather speculate with a V10 Mid Engine car, 2-wheel-drive, 4000 cc, at about 160.000 €.

575 Maranello/612:
    The V12 engine will stay forever. In front dwelling.
    Just as one Platform and Pininfarina builds 2 seaters and/or 4 seaters ...
    Whatever offer and demand says to Montezemolo to decide.

forza

cinquevalvole

18. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    2-seater front engine 12's are not holding their value well compared to the 2-seater mid-engine 12's.

Correct?

What to make next should be a no brainer. A mid-engine V12 not limited to 400 total production.

Sunny

19. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Not in the UK a Testarossa is not worth much more than a good 328 around £30-40K . Personally a light weight front-mid engined v12 would be my choice.

20. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i don't think you can make that gross generalization.

for example, it's been a while, but i did some comparative depreciation maths Testarossa -vs- 550 and the curves were not way off.

sure the daytona has done well and the 512bb has done well, but the production numbers were well lass than maranellos.

512TRs are doing relatively well, 10 years later, but in large part also due to the lower production volume: 2300 cars -vs- over 5,000 units for maranellos now (approaching 6K by year's end maybe?).

doody.

21. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Retain front engine; NO LARGER OR HEAVIER than the 575, preferably smaller and lighter; lots of hp and torque; great engine note out of the box.

22. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    What was a 250GTO?
    Thats right front engine.
    Front engine please.

23. mbmike

mbmike Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    I've heard that the new EU regulations would make it very hard to design a good looking front engined high powered sports car, because of the empty space and size requirements of the front. Perhaps that will influence Ferrari to make a mid-engined 12 to replace the 575?

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Gee they seem to be moving the engine so far back in the 612 that they have enormous empty space up front.

Anyway the 612 with the engine behind the front axle line is just unbalanced looking ... and yes I know the 250GTO has the engine behind the front axle too, but that car is a race car and is far smaller.

This I must say makes me think that the v12 engine is becoming a liability to Ferrari and they need to start expanding their options. Somebody else on this site suggested a W12 and that would make a lot more sense as the engine mass could still be behind the front axle without needing the worlds LONGEST and ugly bonnet.

A v10 would not be as short as a W12, and there is no rational reason to make a v10 JUST because the current F1 rules stipulate it ... what about next year, they may change the rules.

Thus whether the engine is in the front OR the back the v12 is a packaging nightmare ... and is one of the reasons I do not love the F50 looks. In this regard the Enzo has done a better job at hiding the length of its engine.

Thus I think it is time for the transverse v12 engine in the back if they must stick with the v12 for the F550 replacement. And I think they should accept the handling compromise for the 2+2s and move the engine back so that the first 4 cylinders are over the front axle line.

Pete

25. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Front engined baby! as the V8 line becomes bigger, maybe THIS can BECOME a V12! who needs a V8? they are getting to be nearly the same price anyhow. I like the classic front engined GT, the ferrari that is driven;)