Gallardo vs 575M vs Viper Srt10 Auto mag | FerrariChat

Gallardo vs 575M vs Viper Srt10 Auto mag

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by allanlambo, Feb 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Well it seems the press has tired of comparing the Gallardo to the 360, as its to easy a prey. SO in this test, they changed the 360 for the 575M with the F1 tranny. In acceleration, both the Gallardo and Srt10 beat the 575M in acceleration, with the Srt 10 winning overall. I think some people cant launch the e-gear properly. They recorded the worst 0-60 time ive seen for the Gallardo 4.5 seconds. The Viper even beat the Gallardo to 30mph which is amazing, but the Gallardo was just as quick or slightly quicker than the Srt through the gears from a roll. They also had a track test, in which the Gallardo took top place beating the Ferrari by 1 second, and the Ferrari beat the Srt by just over 1 second. In the end, on a points scale the Gallardo won overall, with the Ferrari second, and Viper a distant 3rd. Only 69 points seperated the Gallardo and Ferrari, while over 400 seperated the Viper.

2. tako

tako Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Gallardo rocks!!!

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The Maranello beat the Viper on the track ? Thats weird..

4. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    hmmmmmm...let's see...the Gallardo was 1 second faster than the 575M on the track, and at Fiorano a 360CS is 3.5sec faster than a 575M, so I guess that means the 360CS must only be 2.5sec faster than a Gallardo? nahhhhhhhhhh.....couldn't be....could it? (Even a 360 Modena is 1.5 secs faster than the 575M)

5. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    I find it amusing that despite review after review and test after test consistently placing the Gallardo in front of the Ferrari 360, there is so much resistance to accepting the facts. However, IMO, there is no way the Gallardo is a better car than the 575M, it may be faster and quicker around a race track, but to my mind it is not better. having said that, I believe the Gallardo is better than the 360 for me. It is also faster in a straight line, around a circuit and also has the benefit of 4WD, for less than ideal road conditions. In the lastets EVO it also beat the 996TT, completing its winning sweep of all known competitors. However, these are just subjective opinions On the downside the luggage storage in the Gallardo is a joke, I use the shelf behind the seats as this is the largest/easiest access space available. If you need to take more than an overnight bag and briefcase and also intend having a passenger, the car is useless to you. Oh yeh, the gear change is very notchy and takes forever to warm up. I hope, like a good wine, it improves with age. I tried the e-gear, but found it as involving as the manual mode with paddle shift on my automatic Merc.
    At the end of the day the Gallardo won out for me, but only because I have an E55 to use when I need to take passengers and luggage.

6. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    "The Viper even beat the Gallardo to 30mph which is amazing"

There is definitely something wrong here? With 4wd this should not happen.
    I've had considerable 1/4 mile experience with a Viper..hooking up is
    the toughest part..this should be a 4wd EASIEST part(it was for my 996TT)
    Which also makes me wonder about the Gallardo time 0-60..4.5?

I'm not sure what the best launch technique is for the E-gear? I'll have 1000
    miles on my Gallardo by the weekend and I'll experiment a little.
    Anyone else with a Gallardo that has played with launch technique I'd
    appreciate your input.

7. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the test must not have included price consideration in the formula. because the gallardo and the 575 are 2 and 3 times (respectively) more expensive than the viper, and yet their performance is not double or triple the vipers.....i am a tifosi to the core, and have a great admiration for lamborghini, but you gotta admit that on a performance/dollar basis that srt10 is a bargain, and its a drop-top besides.

8. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    The drivers just suck at what they do, it seems.

9. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I can't imagine anyone having any resistance to accepting the facts but I've owned too many cars and seen too many write ups about cars to believe a single word I read about them. Sometimes I read an article and wonder if they've actually even driven the car! Now what YOU have to say is far more interesting and believable.

My personal opinion is that any one of these cars is so powerful and has so much grip and performance that their potential is impossible to reach on the road, and that any one of them on any given day would have no trouble keeping up with the other, and that you'd be insane to try and use all that performance on the road. I love driving my car, but I can't think of a single time in the last 5 years where I've used it to its full potential anywhere, but especially not on the road. I'm sort of wondering where all this horsepower is going......it's more or less just academic now, isn't it? Maybe it's all about bragging rights? I think I'd buy a Gallardo in a heatbeat, but not because some journalist says it's 1 second faster than a 575! One second just doesn't sound enough, BTW.

10. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Allan, what magazine was this in? I haven't got the new EVO yet, just wondering what issue you are speaking about.

11. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i dont see why no one gets on the cs for being little more than hype and a f rip off. its my belief that the performance increase of the cs over the stock 360 comes mainly from the larger and stickier tires. i bet the gallardo would be quite close to the cs lap times on identical tires. cs might have advqantage on tight fiorano track but average that with what would happen on a fast long track and will be very close. gallardo will win on practicality and comfort too.

12. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Have you driven a CS?

13. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    1st of all, I was kidding, and second, who gives a damn? Gallardo, CS, Modena...any one of them is too fast for me to take full advantage of, so as far as I'm concerned, the one that "does it for you" is the one to get.

14. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    What i dont understand is why people keep saying they think the Gallardo would be close to a 360Cs if both were on the same tires. The Gallardo ALREADY smoked the 360 CS with sticky race tires on the Nurburgring and Hockenheim, while being on street tires.

I personally feel the Gallardo is a far better car than a 575M, but also feel the 360CS is also far better than a 575M. Inmo, the 575 delivers nothing that a Mercedes cant do for 1/2 the price.

Banana Boat. My conclusion is that the Gallardo is quicker than the Srt, maybe even on par with. This was the worst 0-60 ive read, so it looks like it loses in the launch. There is no way a Viper will hook better off the line than a 4wheel drive, and the in gear acceleration tests are in the Gallardos favor.

This is a German magazine Auto Zeitung. Bought it at Barnes and Noble.

15. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I thought so.. Not a vey helpful post.