How to Sell A Ferrari? | FerrariChat

How to Sell A Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by baron, Feb 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. baron

baron Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    I'm thinking of selling a Ferrari 360. What is the best way to advertise, Yahoo, eBay, Dupont? Are we allowed to post an ad on this forum? I am not in a hurry to sell so may post a higher asking price initially. Also, are you supposed to let potential buyers test drive the car? I mean, I can imagine people just showing up in response to the ad just to go for a joy ride. Any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Baron

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

This was discussed previously in detail. Ebay ad, Ferrari Market Letter, here at FerrariAds.com.....those would be my recommendations to start. AutoWeek and Dupont Registry are other good sources. I would not let a guy test drive unless he was a very serious buyer. Even then I would not let him go alone and I would want to see verifiable ID etc. A broker or consigning your car is a good way to avoid tire kickers and, I'll bet you'd end up getting more money that way. Good luck!

3. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
  4. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
  5. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Scroll to the top of this page. Just below the Ferrarichat.com header, in the center left, is Ferrariads.com. Post there for free. I know a member on the board that sold his car in 8 days off of this forum.

6. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Would anyone recomend Hemmings Motor News for a Ferrari? It does focus on older America cars, but they do have plenty of pages of others... comments on it?

7. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    When I was looking at an old 911, the owner insisted I put down $500. I of course didn't. I told him what I knew about the car, {specific problems with the model etc...} to prove that I was interested. It's tricky to weed out tire kickers and joy-riders but be careful. If the PO {prevoius owner} of my car had his way I wouldn't have bought the car. He thought I was there just to fool around.

8. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Try getting a dealer to list it on www.ferrarina.com
    then look under dealers and then market place

9. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    You may want to try the Ferrari Market Letter as well. Good luck

10. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    No, I would not suggest allowing a potential buyer drive the car. If you want to take them for a ride fine, after all it's an excuse for a quick drive. But, until you have agreed on a price, and you know they are a qualified buyer, no way. No test pilots!!

11. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Yes, you have to be really careful about test drives. Among other things (esp finding out how serious the buyer is), I recommend you ask to see a proof of insurance and driver's license before having someone take the car out for a test drive.

Good luck!

12. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I have a new tack on this thread - how about alittle honesty? That would be refreshing to hear from a Ferrari seller. Some Honesty. Answer every question with the truth for a change, instead of a dodge or a flat-out lie. If the car has flaws, tell people about it. If you're too lazy or cheap to keep the car well-serviced, be honest about it. If you try and hide the fact that you really didn't have those belts changed, or the fuel lines swapped out or the clutch is on its last leg, or the heads are cracked, well, be honest about it. If you're that 'hard-up' for the money that you are unwilling or unable to be honest about the car, its history, the service records, etc., then don't bother selling the car to the general public.

If your busy schedule does not permit to be responsive and courteous to people when they attempt to contact you, then hire a honest car broker - buyers HATE being 'blown off' by some goofball who announces to the world that he's selling a car, and nobody can get-ahold of him to find out mileage, service history, arrange a meeting, etc.

Be honest in your business dealings - if someone hands you a check, that indicates an intent to buy. Don't turn around and sell the car to someone else who, after-the-fact, offers more money. A deal is a deal, and if you can't respect that, don't bother selling the car to the general public.

Buying a used car these days has lost all its dignity, from a buyer's perspective. Its a car, not your daughter's virginity. Don't be ****** about it.

13. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I sold a 355B on this site(FerrariChat classifieds). Very quickly and to a buyer who knew what he wanted. We achieved all the info flow including specific pics via email.

But the post regarding honesty is the best advice. Also, realistic pricing sells cars. Everyone in the market for a used F car has a gazillion resources to determine current market prices, so to try and sell your car at the wrong price simply won't work. Posting a a "higher price" is just wasting time. If you want to sell, find out what the market is paying and sell your car at that price.

14. baron

baron Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Thanks a lot for the feedback.

15. Exoticbro

Exoticbro Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    St.Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Chuck Ligon
    Baron,
    There are many good responses here.

Buyers of Ferrari's are by and large a very well educated group and have
    many questions and concerns regarding the purchase of one of these cars, whether it is a 308 or a 360.

I do believe sellers do not realize the time and effort it takes to field calls and answer questions to potential buyers.
    Usually by the time a seller has spent so much time with the inquiries from
    the "buyers" who are not quite ready to buy, when a very serious buyer
    comes along they do not give them adequate time or answers. That is why
    the process can be so frustrating for buyer and seller.

Having said all that Baron, I would be happy to help you sell your 360.
    Please E-mail me at [email protected]
    or call me at 636-273-6774

Chuck

16. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Call up his insurance company to see if it will cover him in a test drive of your car.

In the motorcycle game, one often puts up the cash to buy a bike before the test ride just so that if he wrecks the bike the owner is fully compensated without hassle.

17. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Chuck,

Is there a way where a long distance broker/dealer can help with a sale and bring in a serious offer? I would like to find a way to have a win-win situation where I don't take forever trying to get the last dollar or get the wholesale minus all kinds of BS from a dealer who wants to buy hugely low at my expense and sell even higher. Can a longdistance dealer/broker meet use somewhere in the middle to get some business he would not ordinarily get?

18. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    EBAY is a great way to test the waters. For $40 you get an international ad with 12 supersize pics and unlimited text. An ad in you local city paper probably costs the same to run for 3 weeks with no pic and 2 lines of text. Think about it, every person that finds your car is searching for Ferrari or your particular model. Looking for Mustangs or Vettes will not turn up your car.
    I sold 2 past cars, an NSX and a Porsche 928 on EBAY within 4 hours of listing them. Put in a "buy it now" price, a lower reserve and a moderate starting price. The key is to put in that you have the right to end the auction early due to other advertising. This will open up the buyers to negotiating with you to end the auction early. You must have a reasonable price to gain interest.
    Plus, with EBAY, you can track the results and high bids by looking at completed items. It's possible that you may be priced to high and it may not be the venue for you.
    Pictures and honest text are the key. Tell them the faults, if any.

19. Exoticbro

Exoticbro Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    St.Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Chuck Ligon

Hello Fatbillybob,

The answer to your question is yes.
    I will market your car by advertising it on various websites including my own.
    I will field all buyers calls and answer any questions they may have.(as I say
    this can be a time consuming task) I will assist the buyer in arranging a PPI
    I will also handle the final transaction and help find and arrange shipping.
    Visit my website www.exoticautobrokers.com there you will see a full
    description of my services.
    Please feel free to E-mail me at [email protected] or give me a call
    at 636-273-6774.

Chuck

20. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    A good broker, or a dealer on consignment can be an excellent approach to selling a car. However, it is important to remember that these are, or should be, professionals and businesses. As was noted, selling a car including dealing with phone calls, advertising the car, showing potential buyers the car, etc., takes time, effort, and some $'s for advertising. Don't expect these groups to perform the service for free, and you get the longest retail dollar possible.

Brokers are especially very common in the boating world. But, as with most things, some are good, some are not so good.

21. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I've used Chuck Ligon's services recently....he's terrific. I can vouch for his company. My previous experiences, however, were less than stellar - hence my previous post.

22. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD