For Fans of the 288 GTO... | FerrariChat

For Fans of the 288 GTO...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by A.D.K., Feb 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. A.D.K.

A.D.K. Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Terre Haute, IN
    Full Name:
    Andy Klueber
    ...And are able to watch Dream Car Garage on Speed Channel. Last night they started their fourth season last night.
    For next week episode Peter Klutt wil test drive a classic dream car the Ferrari 288 GTO has a matter of fact if you watch the opening of the show you'll the same 288 GTO doing a massive smokey burnout.
    That will show up in the testing of the GTO in next weeks show. Here's a link to the show schedule.

Dream Car Garage on Speed TV | Schedule
    Address:http://www.dreamcargarage.com/schedule.htm

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i'm sorry to have to use your thread to ask this question, but i didn't really think it warranted it's own separate thread; do you (or anyone else) find similarities between the 288 GTO and a DeTomaso Pantera...? i just noticed this the other day and was gonna take pictures of my two models but never got around to it... The fronts of the cars are similar and looking at the cars from above, they're very similar... Just my two cents worth of an observation, sorry to hijack...

3. F129b

F129b Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    oc, calif.
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Personally I don't find much similarity between the shape of the GTO and the Pantera. The GTO has a sculptured, muscular look. The Pantera is more of a chiseled wedge with few curves.
    What do you think about the similarities between the Gallardo and a Countach?

4. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, seriously...? They look completely different to me... (Is that what you're trying to tell me...? i'm a little slow sometimes...)
    i'd have to see both of them in person to really check 'em out...

5. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Pantera and 308 GT/4 have similarities (and the Triumph TR7 'Wedge - the shape of things to come")

6. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Pentara's look more like Meraks then 308s let alone 288s...

7. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    My old boss had a Pantera - I'm not seeing the similarities much. The front of the Pantera is VERY angular - Very much a wedge design.

The similarity for me would be that they are both great cars! :)

8. subgraphic

subgraphic Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Austin
    I think the similarities lie in that the nose of both cars reach a point near the top of the hood line and sweep back down and in toward the tire, along with both have very muscular "haunches" over the rear tire. Both are what I call true "exotic muscle" cars, and are two of my favorites.
    First post, by the way. Great Site.

9. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Can we have a picture of the Pantera ?

10. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Subgraphic, welcome to FerrariChat...

When i have a chance, i'll post pictures of the two models i have (unless someone wants to lend me a real Pantera and 288 GTO :D)...

11. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #11 Chiaro_Slag, Feb 20, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    My Pantera looks nothing like that... Hmmmmm... i need to go home and take pictures... i feel so bad, i've totally torn apart A.D.K.'s thread... ADK, i'm sorry... If you'd like, i'll ask Rob to split this off and into a separate thread...

13. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #13 Chiaro_Slag, Feb 20, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    It must be on of the race preped Panteras with a large front air dam/spoiler that was popular in that time. (and is today in a slightly different sense with ricers)

15. subgraphic

subgraphic Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Austin

You may be thinking of a GTS version.

The Pantera styling evolved in the same way the Countach did- with the addition of heavy spoilers and flares.
    I put together a basic evolution here http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/subgraphic/album?.dir=/a489
    For anyone interested.
    In the 3rd picture sits a revival of the Pantera that was made in the early 90's.

The pantera was a brilliant idea, much like the og cobras. Beautiful Italian styling, and low cost due to not having a elegant exotic engine... It got its grunt from good ole ass kicking Detroit built big-block v8.
    I also believe this was its downfall.

NNO, Thanks for the nice welcome... :)

16. F129b

F129b Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    oc, calif.
    Full Name:
    Robert
    ***OFFICIAL HI-JACK***

LOVE the GTO

like the Pantera

17. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I've had several people mistake my 308 GT4 for a pantera.

Love the pantera, love the GT4, love the 288 GTO.

Dom

18. A.D.K.

A.D.K. Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Terre Haute, IN
    Full Name:
    Andy Klueber

That's o.k. they are also producing a new show called Sports Car Revolution that is also on Speed has well. With the same guy's Dream Car Tom and Peter.
    Address:http://www.sportscarrevolution.com
    Peter did a test drive on a 275 GTB 2 cam for the first show (Peter test drove a 4 cam on last seasons Dream Car) and if you look this website they are going to drive a Noble M12 GTO #M and take a look at New Tech Automotive the people who bulid the bodies for Noble and also Superperformance and their Cobra and Cobra Daytona Coupes in South Africa.
    Also for the first new show of DCG tom test drove a Fly Yellow Enzo.
    Both show's will repeat this weekend on Speed if anyone missed them.
    And has far as the 288 and the Pantera looking the same? They sort of do look the same in certain areas like in their front in teatments i.e. the air dam and the setup on their fog lights and turn signals.

19. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Thanks for the info, I can't wait, 288 is my dream Ferrari!! Saw they drove Enzo on episode 1 also, WOW!!

20. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    OMG I don't have speed channel anymore...

I think I will have get it back.

21. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J

How can you LIVE without it?