What's the highest speed you've been ticketed for... | FerrariChat

What's the highest speed you've been ticketed for...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 134282, Feb 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    ...and what happened as a result...?

As per Mike 550, who came up with the idea in this thread, i'm posing the question... So...? What was the highest speed and what happened...?

The highest speed i can think of that i was ticketed for was 91 in a 65... For the veterans here, they know the story, 'cause i've only told it a thousand times... :)

i was on the NJ Turnpike coming back from DC with a friend, in her Jeep Grand Cherokee when a silver 360 Modena merged onto the turnpike... i was enthralled and we played cat and mouse for 15-20 minutes before finally blowing by (not one, but) TWO troopers sitting on the side of the road... They let her go but pulled me over... i copped out, said she was tailgating me, but he wasn't buying it... i asked why they didn't pull her over and he said, "We clocked her at 80... We clocked you at 91..." It took all i had to keep from breaking this huge smile right in the cop's face... If i could do it all over again, i wouldn't change a thing...

Ticket was for 91 in a 65 + unsafe lane change, which they later hit me for double since the lane change was in a work zone; ticket was just short of $400...

Was pulled over last year for going 93 in a 55 by a trooper on the parkway out here by me; i managed to get out of it; not even a written warning...! :)

2. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    For the record the police dont know. They just wrote unresponsible speed because they just saw my wrecked car. For FChat I'll tell you.... 150. :(

3. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    You wrecked that Impala at 150...? Daaaaaaaaaaamn... You're a trooper, for sure... What was the extent of the bodily damages...?

4. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    ...I would have used the word "idiot" rather than "trooper"

5. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    What he said. I didnt hit the tree till probally 60 or 80 judging from the distance traveled. At one point when I first went off the road I went airborne. Thats why the tail pipe is between the front and back door. No seatbelt and I all I got was knocked out. This is not be bragging this is me being warning others of what can happen.

6. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i figured... However, (since it appears i need to clarify) i was referring to him still being alive after wrecking at 150; not referring to executing such a speed, irrespective of adverse results...

At any rate, i am certainly not in a position to call someone an idiot for any speeds they've achieved or any accidents or whatever that might occurred from said speeds... Are you in a position to throw stones...? Have you not exceeded the speed limit...? Have you not permitted yourself to enter a vehicle knowing the operator of said vehicle would achieve speeds greater than the limits posted...?

7. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yea no one here pretty much is innocent. Some get caught and some dont. If your live afterwards, WOW!!!!!!. If not thats no good, but speed is a bad addiction.

8. mike550

mike550 Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2003
    California - LA & SF
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    Highest speed ticketed - 65 mph in a 50 mph.
    Result - dad grounded me for a month. It was the day after I got my license.

Been speeding ticket free for a couple decades. The V-1 has saved me many, many times.

9. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    never 150. I havent driven over 85mph in like over a year. I am responsible and i would rather not be paying out the wazoo for insurance, like you. That s---t is expensive enough as it is with a clean record, good student discount, multiple vehicle discount, AND drivers safety course discount.
    On the highway, i rarely go over 65-68 in a 55 since theres no point. It ony saves a few minutes on a trip anyway, and just wastes gas. I do, however, go a little fast on back roads with turns because that is actually fun, but equally as dangerous as speeding on highways.

10. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    I have NEVER, NEVER driven past the posted limit!!

11. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sometimes when your going down the road and your all alone and the throttle is under your foot and when you tap it you hear the engine and you just cant help yourself, its like the engine is talking to you, wanting you to open it up so it can breath.

12. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    So then... wtf is your point...? Just to argue with me...? You just admitted you go "a little fast" on back roads, but your statement indicates you go fastER than you do on highways (65-68) so you're in the, what, 70-80 range on back roads...? Maybe the limit on the back roads is lower, and you're doubling it...? (60 in a 30?)... Either way, your entire statement was senseless...

Lastly, yes, my insurance is high; very high... Does that make me unqualified to post in this thread...? Or to refute your earlier comments...? Or will you just come out and admit your whole post was pointless...?

13. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    ROTFLMAO...!!!

Chris, no need to explain it; he either knows or he doesn't; reading it won't change his mind one way or the other...

14. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

125MPH on the Garden State parkway in a 355....

I got really lucky.... My lawyer(a relative) knew the trooper when he first got on the force.

I didn't get off the whole thing, but "Improper Lane Change" is something I will never do again.LOL

15. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Except for that time we went 125 on some back road :)

16. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Just beacuse i said i usually go 65-68 on highways doesnt mean i never go faster than 65-68. I have gone 80 on highways in the past year, just not frequently. You should get your facts straight, and maybe think about things prior to posting. It seems as if you are taking every post i make in response to you as a personal attack. What gives?

17. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Jordan, Jordan, Jordan. Bob has a Euro. Its also a Ferrari speedo. Calculate 115kph into miles per hour and you'll see he was driving at normal speed.

Sheesh. Youngsters these days! They drive an Enzo and suddenly get all uppity.

Sunny

LOL!

18. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I speed but so does everyone else.

Allow me to explain.

When you merge onto the highway here doing 70 and your getting passed by rigs going 75 and the rest of traffic faster, not keeping up has invited so many close calls for people divebombing in front of me or behind me, or tailgating in this POS Altima rental that I have thats way unsteady at speed, I can't wait to get in my Jag just so I could keep up again and get out into the "flow."

Did I just have an accident recently? Damn straight I did and it was her fault too! Your only as good as the drivers around you.

Sunny

19. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    I just got a ticket a month ago for 48 in a 35. I thought since the road was large (two lanes each direction) and outside town a ways it would be 45... the officer didn't think that mattered. I posted something on it awhile back and several people made suggestions. I did indeed find a smige of a loop hole to help insurance. Thanks for anyone who posted, without you I wouldn't have looked for a way out I would have just paid the fine and went on. :) You've helped my wallet and I thank you a great deal!

20. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    A little over 2 years ago in my 92 500E Mercedes Benz. My buddies and I had just dropped a friend off at LAX after a night of partying. On the way to Newport Beach at 7 am on a Sunday the 405 was mostly empty so I was cruising at around 120mph with occasional bursts up to 140mph. I was low on fuel and the warning lamp came on so I started to back down when I looked up into the mirror and saw a CHP unit so far back he didn't even have his lights on. It was obvious he was coming for me though and I had the car pulled over, shut off and my hands on the wheel by the time he walked up to the window. My friends were freaked but remained silent.

Officer: 110mph plus and I'm only guessing cause thats about where I topped out.

Me: Would you like the key and for me to step out of the car?

Officer: No leave the key, just you and your license, registration and ins.

Me. Ok

So I get out and walk back to his car with him. We stand in front of it while he starts to write.

Officer: That was some pretty good driving, I can see you're not under the influence as you were holding your lane at whatever ridiculous speed you were going.

Me: Thank you. Might I ask where you saw me first?

Officer: At the Westminister exit. I was having a nice cup of coffee while merging and you went rocketing by.

Me. Oh....sorry.

Officer: Go on back to the car, put your seat belt on, I'll be there in a minute.

I walk back to the car, put the belt on and my friends bombard me with one question. Why am I not in cuffs yet? I sush them and the officer walks up to the window and says...

Officer: I'm gonna cut you a break for 105mph because quite frankly, maybe I was catching you, maybe I wasn't. (My front seat passengers eyes bug out and he almost chokes) I'm gonna assume you know how to accelerate before merging and thank you for pulling off the freeway into this roundabout.

Me: Thank you and you're welcome.

He walks away and I pull off. In court, the ticket cost me $300 which I think was a great deal. My speed differential was less than most people before me who had things like 85mph in a 35mph etc.

Incidentally, on the way back north the blood drained from my face when I realized that the Westminister exit was some 8 or so miles from where I saw him and started to pull over. Why there was no chopper over my head is beyond me.

21. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
  22. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    A while back I had picked up an 86 mustang gt for a daily driver, I spent my first day off with it going thru it and tuning it up, of course after you tune up your ride you have to go out for a test drive right? Of course. I picked a stretch of 95 near my house which was relatively straight for about 4or5 miles and there were barriers on both sides so no place for the cops to hide (so I thought). I took her out there opened her up and as I was shifting into 5th I see the tail end of a state trooper cruiser parked on the side of the highway so I immediately got on the binders and pulled over to the side. The trooper pulled up told me he had me clocked at 115 but he cut me a big break and wrote me up for 80. Ticket cost me 300+ and they told me in court that I should of fought it. I considered myself lucky that he wrote me up for 80 I didn't want to press my luck!

23. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Please keep this old one quiet, I represent myself in traffic court again real soon.

24. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    does that say 143 in a 65?? lmao (in a good lmao way, of course)... good luck :)

me personally, 82 in a 35, no license on me, no proof of insurance, no shoes on, no front plates - gave me a warning after a bit of a lecture. he asked me how fast i was going and i told him over 90 but i had started to slow down when i saw him.

honesty the best policy.... sometimes...

25. formula1joe

formula1joe Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Bennett
    115 in a 55 for me on a back road in east GA. The ticket was thrown out in court though because the road I was on did not have a posted speed limit sign on it for over 10 miles.