The Yellow 1989 328 orphan spotted... | FerrariChat

The Yellow 1989 328 orphan spotted...

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Tod328gts, Feb 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
  2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It is so funny: The Ferrari world is a very small world and with the internet information is getting shared worldwide instantly. It is becoming harder and harder to sell a vehicle at a premium, that the market thinks is not deserved. Moving vehicles from state to state to try sell them there becomes apparent to the buyer's market. This is not the first car I've notice this game being played with.

3. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    You know. Actually,it is a really nice car. It has an Alloy Rebody. But,I'm sorry. Yellow cars just don't do anything for me. If I ever Won a Yellow car in some sort of Contest,or was left one by an old Uncle.:) I'd either paint it,or sell it. Especially,the shade of Yellow that car is,with those Red/Black seats. It just looks horrid. I would just buckle down if I were the seller,and paint it. Red,Black,Even Silver or,White. And,I bet it would sell. But,that Yellow has GOT to go!!! It's terrible!

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I agree that the red interior doesn't bond well with the yellow exterior.

However personally I do love a yellow Ferrari. After all it is the color they all should have according to Enzo. Racing history dictated otherwise and now we have this wrong perception of the red Ferrari. But if I had a choice, I'd pick a yellow one.

5. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Not me. I don't even like those Yellow Lambo's. In my eyes. Sportscars need to be Red,(Ferrari's,Vettes',Lambo's.,Lotus) Or Black. Tods Black 328 sure looks nice. red is my first pick. Black would be 2nd. Silver,or Blue,3rd.

6. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    I believe this one was red origionally.

Why it was redone in yellow (someone didn't look inside before they picked the color??) I don't know.

If they could show some performance advantage over stock or paperwork showing Ferrari built it they would have better luck moving it.

As is - it's just odd rather then special.

7. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    It is a one-off, that's what makes it special.

The original owner did ship it back to Italy, and an aluminum body was made for it.

Does that make it special, or so collectible, that it should command a premium price......I don't know.

I think that the person that had it rebodied, had more money than they knew what to do with.

The car has been for sale for years.

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    They should have it repainted in red. Then it would look great with the interior.

9. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    According to Enzo??? They all should be red. His first Ferrari branded company, ( started 1929 with aid from the racing fanatic brothers of the Ferrara textile company ) produced Alfa customers works cars and rebuilds becauses the Alfa company withdrew from racing. Alfa served as a sponsor later, and Enzo was racing and building at this time. However, despite this dual role and being more of test driver and advisor than outright private manufacturer, all the cars were red. Red is the national racing color for Italy.

When Enzo retired from racing after a nervous breakdown, after the birth of Dino, and after had a fit over engine suggestions with Alfa and they returned to racing full time, he quit to form his own company: Auto-Avio Costruzioni. This is truly the first "FERRARI." The AAC 815s were red, per Enzo's request.

This information may be found on the Ferrari website and the book "Ferrari" by Chris Labban.

RocketBoy

PS: I've seen that yellow Ferrari in person as well. I would never state that a Ferrari is ugly, this one is just very unusual.

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    As you state yourself, red is the racing color of Italy (green is England and white Germany, hence red was left from the Tricolore). Ferraris are supposed to be yellow. Yellow as in the color of Modena and as in the logo.

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That is true.

But yellow is the racing color of Belgium. Gendebien and Frere! HTH

That car was built for a lawyer from Houston. Black/yellow interior would fix it up.

Need to buy Raybans with it.

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hey!!!! Mike Willhoit is where I bought my Ferrari!

I'll have to call him and see how he ended up with this Dog!

He's good people, though.

It's a long way from Houston. My wife was checking the hospitals, and jails before I came back that weekend!

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #13 BigTex, Feb 20, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'll get it and redo the interior. Black yellow Daytona seats would be cool.

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Just got off the phone with Mike Willhoit. One of you guys should call him and deal on it.

He's agreeable to an interior change, if required.

Recommended by Speedy308

"The World's Fastest Art Car"
    As seen in Cavallino #133

16. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Yellow is only in the crest, as mentioned from my sources, Enzo insisted on the body being Red. When someone quotes Enzo from working with him, I think that is good, as in Chris L's book, "Ferrari". Yellow the civic color of Modena, the prancing horse, well that is a good, tragic and beautiful story. I think the story of Francesco Baracca, his father and mother, Enzo's brother, and the eventual meeting with Enzo deserves another strand.

But because of that beautiful horse, those individuals, the pride of a nation, it makes me boil when people degrade the symbol and brand. It is representative of so many emotions, loves found and lost, and pride of people and nation. Any Lambo, Japanese, Vette and McLaren guy can compare numbers all they want. Yes some body styles like the old Bertone 308 and even the Superfast by today's standards makes you scratch your head. Yeah NOS loaded acuras can waste recent classics like a TR. But I think because of the symbol, it doesnt make you elevated or saying you think you are better than anyone else. I think the love affair with the Ferrari and symbol is saying you have compassion. That the symbol and car mixed together says you understand loss and wins of life, you never forget your roots and dreams, and that you let your heart run your aims, actions, and feelings.

RocketBoy

PS: In the magazine "F1" ( recently dumped by Bernie E) or "F1 Racing," I remember reading an article that some deep space research sattelite had a pint or quart of Ferrari's red paint in a storage unit along with some other Earthly goodies.

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Interesting, didn't know, that Enzo wanted his cars to be red. I always thought that was forced upon him by the racing colors. I learn a new thing every day.

So how do you feel about Jamiroquai using the logo for his purposes? Hommage or blasphemy?

That rosso corso color vile was on one of the probes going to Mars. It didn't land though, but went into orbit. Kinda fitting for the red planet. There is an interesting link between the Italian space agency and Ferrari. Probably because both are high tech and the pride of a nation.

Speedy308: Yes, you could of course change the interior of the car, but it is more than just the seats. They used the red also in the side covers etc. Otherwise it would have been easy to just reupholster the seats.

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yea, I studied the photos carefully.

BUT, I'm tellin' ya, that thing would POP with black/Yellow trim.

I bet you'd be talkin' $2K, max, and you'd have a cool piece.

I'm not a GTS guy, prefer the GTB.

But I bought my car from Mike Willhoit sight unseen, with a money back option, and WAS NOT disappointed!

THAT would be funny, for me to bring it back to Houston.

I've made my career at Rice University, working on multi million dollar projects, donated to the University by....... you guessed it!

Mr. & Mrs. Joe Jamail!!!!!!!

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Now don't bother me, I gotta take some "fly yellow" down to my buds at NASA Space Center Houston for the next flight out!! LOL

Don't like yellow Ferraris.....you guys gotta be kiddin'!

20. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Well,

This yellow 328 use to be Red, i guess the last owner didn't like red and had it painted. I looked at this car up close and the paint job was crap. I'm not an expert, but i noticed overspray, especially in the air intakes on the side of the car, i also noticed some bubbling in the paint in a few areas too. I also noticed some areas where it was masked off... Probably an earl shibe paint job???

I also sat in the car and those aftermarket black/red seats felt bad, i'm not a big/heavy person, and i couldn't see sitting in that car for more than a few miles. Very uncomfortable seats....

Overall, i would have been very upset with whomever re-painted this car, lousy job in my opinion....

It needs an $8,000 paint job to fix it up....

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You talkin to me? Oh wait, he says yellow. Nevermind.

22. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    So how do you feel about Jamiroquai using the logo for his purposes? Hommage or blasphemy?

I do not have the magazine title right now, but will get back to you later on this. The singer's name is Jay Kay, he is extremely interesting person to look up on his toys. He is the ultimate Ferrari fan, has over 5. In the last mag article I read about him, he got an Enzo straight from the factory. It is a deep blue with a blue and green insert interior. I respect him because even in the article he stated shaking his rear around and singing sappy lyrics made it all worth it to have the "toy every little boy dreams up having." He drives all of them as dailly drivers. I will try to get everyone the mag title as its a decent magazine one can find in Barnes and Noble, its made in England.

Speaking of celeb owners and yellow, Michael Schumacher used to own a Bugatti EB110 SS. Im not sure if he sold it or not but this will be confirmed by the Bugatti Fan page.

Former Detroit RedWing star, husband to Anna Kournikova, now Mighty Duck Sergei Fedorov has a yellow Enzo with the plate, "Brkaway." You can find this in the Dupont Registry's "Celebrity Car magazine". Keep in mind he's had a few DUI's in a Ferrari and wrecked one, I think Dominic Hasek crashed a TR while in Europe and Pavel Bure sold his 550 and 348. Eric Clapton bought an Enzo too. David Beckham has a 355 and 550, and used to own a McLaren. The owner of an Enzo leaves his in storage at LFSC, but Im not at liberty to say who owns this.

If you ever see an F40 with the license plate" ByBy Cop" it is from Barrington. The inventor or pioneer behind compressed air cans to clean your computer keyboard has this one and a few others. There are also 2 blue 456s, and another one an interesting shade of red. Just this past summer a red 360 with tags from Washington sat along side NorthWest Hgwy in front of a car stereo store with a simple 4 Sale sign on the dash. Anyone know the story or fate of this car, why a $150,000 coupe was left to just stand by the side of the road?

RocketBoy

PS: Hate to admit it, but Lambos, Vettes, and the Maser Spyder look good in yellow. The only Ferrari I really admired in yellow was the Daytona, which the Vette essentially is. But lets not get started on that.

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    That is Jay's Enzo at Goodwood and the F40 at the Marchetti Villa outside Chicago. My pics btw.

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  25. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yes,as I also said. I don't like Yellow cars in the first place. But,this shade of Yellow was hideous! It was a Bright,almost had a Neon Yellow/Green hue to it. I saw it in person several times. And,even if it was in a 'Fly Yellow',would have looked alittle better. But,agree with the Black Seats with Yellow inserts,instead of the Red ones. But,stiil,appealing only to a Very limited few . They could put in just Black seats and be over with it. Or,do the right thing :) and paint the car. Then,they may be able to get more $$ for it,promoting it's Alloy Body. Hey,jusy my.02c