Advice on getting out of 136mph in 60 zone, ticket | FerrariChat

Advice on getting out of 136mph in 60 zone, ticket

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by clarkster, Feb 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. clarkster

clarkster Rookie

Jan 28, 2004
    Anyone have any advice on getting out of this? Anyone gotten out of one of this magnitude before?

My lawyer actually thinks I can't get out, and might even I might get charged with a fellony. Its a small town in Kansas that I got nabed...

THis will be the 3rd ticket in 6 months and will probably hit hard.

Any advice apprecriated!

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Wow, sorry to hear that. They will not take this one lightly I would imagine. All I can say is this is America, $$$ can get you out of most anything, within reason of course. Hopefully you've got a top attorney and I'd suggest slowing it down for future.

3. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Holy cow! What were you doing going 136 in a 60?

Get a good lawyer.... there may not be an out on this one!

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You ain't GONNA "get out of it"!

What a dumb a---.

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #5 Chiaro_Slag, Feb 20, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK, what's up - Everytime I click on a new thread, it changes my user name - I have so far been :

NNO (nice!)
    Speedy 308
    Mike 328
    aawil

This is slag by the way - This is a test to see who's name I post under.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    Slag,
    I'm having the same problem I think it's a glitch. But I do have a question for you. How do you make a screen shot like the one you just posted?
    thanks
    Out

7. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    Press Print Scrn(near top right of the keyboard) then paste in something like MS paint.

8. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Real easy, pack up and move out of the country.

In most states you would have had your car towed away and been taken to jail!

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well said, Jon!

Speedy "the REAL one" 308

Geez, can we get some kinda "admitance test" or something to access?

Maybe certified results of an IQ test........

10. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL

Well, I got busted in a small Kansas town... granted I was doing 13 over, not 76... but I managed to get a "Devirsion Agreement" for about 130 bucks. Basically all I have to do is stay out of trouble for the next three months and it doesn't show up on insurance or anything. I don't know if you can do this going that fast... but you might want to look into it. Good luck! :)

11. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    Good luck. I was nabbed on a lonely deserted highway doing in excess of a buck twenty. I was guilty of showing some Italian hospitality to a Porsche and was quickly humbled when I saw a pair of cherries light up in my RR mirror several miles later. I pulled over stuffed my joint in the glove box, brushed the white powder from my dash and tossed the 44 out the passanger window (J.K.). OK.. Back to the real story It was obvious that the HP officer didn't have a lock on me, when he claimed I was going 95 in a 75 I didn't argue. He returned to his car to write it up and knocked off an additional 10MPH. Now I'm down to 85 in a 75. The next step was to visit the Judge and plead my case. I was fortunate to be able to do this over the phone (long story don't ask) and reached an agreement that the ticket would be voided if I could provide proof after six months (a copy of my driving record) that I've been a good citizen. Six months later I faxed the courthouse and the rest is history... Well except for that damn Porsche!

Before you get your hopes up KNOW THIS, my previous record was spotless!
    Good LUCK and enjoy those driving classes.

P.S. Have the case dismissed by waiting for the officer to go on Vacation and scheduling the court date during that time. If he doesn't show your case could be dismissed. COULD BE!!

OUT

12. JOHN328

JOHN328 Karting

Jan 2, 2003
    SAN FRANCISCO BAY AR
    Full Name:
    JOHN STRIEGEL
    I think you are going to have bite the bullet on this one, but I can tell what worked for me. I was pulled over by the city police (diving my 78 308) and the offiicer said he got me on radar doing 40 in 25 zone. Well I asked to see the radar gun reading, so he did. The radar gun was on, but the speed show zero. The officer said he was still going to give me a ticket and that he cleared the speed on the gun before coming out to my car. So he writes me a ticket, and I sign my name and on signatue line and I write 'radar not shown'. The officer was not a Happy Camper, that speeding ticket never showed up.

FYI

John

13. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    Ouch...hire an attrny and see if you can get it knocked to a misdemeanor. Having a felony on your record will make life miserable every time you fill out an app etc.

Suppose it is too late to mention that with two priors, you should have been slowing down anyway but I would even go so far as to suggest that i would sell the car to make sure it doesn't happen again. Remember, other people actually use the roads you race on...

- JMG

14. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    I think anything over double the posted speed or is it over 100mph is considered "reckless driving".

Well when I read the subject of the thread, I thought "HOW STUPID!". But then I remembered many similar experiences that I've had. But luckily most of them I've never gotten pulled over.

One of the best was driving up to Monterey on the 101 at midnight. Cruising in the Dino at an indicated 155mph with an Alfa Romeo Montreal along as wingman. Althought he fell back at 135. This went on for at least a half hour. I was thining at this rate I'll get there in no time. All the while, my girlfriend at the time slept soundly.

One in which I did get caught, I was clocked by aircraft at 135mph. Also up the 101. As I came over a rise, there was the badge. I talked him down to an 85. I think he was more interested in my car. Ahhh, the memories.

That might be a great thread..."What are your best road memories?"

Anyways, best of luck to you.

15. Exoticbro

Exoticbro Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    St.Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Chuck Ligon
    Whew Clarkster you did it up right!!

I will tell you this, my 16!!! year old daughter received a ticket for 94 in a 55
    zone. She was trying to get home for curfew.(I could not believe she was not arrested)
    The lawyer said NO WAY could he get a 16 year old off of this and said the ony alternative was to appear in court.
    Well I went to court with her and we met with the prosecutor, my daughter
    asked if there was anything she could do to minmize the charge and was told NO, there would be no reduction.(I made my daughter do the talking)
    My daughter said she would wait and speak with the judge.

The judge had run a check on her and found she had a previous ticket for
    IMPEDEING TRAFFIC she was going 10 in a 20 at a street party and was given a ticket(She did not tell me this as she just paid the fine because she did not think you would get points for going to SLOW)

Well the judge had a sense of humor and said she did not know what to do with a 16 year old who's only other violation was going to slow.
    She sentenced her to 8 hrs. of driving school with NO FINE and NO POINTS.
    I told my daughter she was extremely lucky she did not loose her license for
    a long time. Of course we took the car away for a long time and I will tell you
    she has not had a ticket since, she is 19 now.

So the best thing might be to just go before the judge and admit you did something that was not very smart, ask what you can do to minimize the charge and maybe the judge will be understanding.
    Sounds like this may be your only alternative.

16. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    All I can say is, You are one lucky man.
    You will only be doing jail time.
    If you had pulled the same stunt in my neighborhood,
    You would not be able to post this message.

17. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    You should invent some story about Martha Stewart, offer to go State's Evidence and ask for the Witness Protection Program. I think you're screwed.

18. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    How did you avoid going to jail right then?

You can "get out of it" in that you will have to end up in court, pay a lot (north of $5k all said and done) and probably have some community service.

It's not the end of the world by any means, but it's not pretty.

I hear orange jumpsuits are coming back in style!

--Dan

19. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    What the hell did you stop for?

20. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Probably to avoid getting shot.

--Dan

21. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    did you get picked up by radar? if so, find out when that radar gun was last tested....or calibrated....whatever they do to check the validity and accuracy of the reading.
    maybe that will be a weak point in the case.

22. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    I was stopped in the uk on the a38 from Ripley in november last year, i was followed at 146mph in a 70mph zone. I went to court only three weeks ago. Becourse i am a Close Protection Operative my Breif used the exscuse that i was on an emergency call to one of my bosses family after being alerted. My brief did well, i walked with a 7 day ban and £180 fine and no points. It was also made known in court that i was trained in evasive driveing, funny that becourse i should have out run the Pricks.

23. sandersja

sandersja Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    John Sanders
    Um, how do they build it up into a felony charge? Was anyone seriously endangered or hurt? I did not think a basic "reckless driving" based on excessive speed rated a felony.

24. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    theres no point in not stopping, even a POS cop car can go 120 or so, enough to get your plate, and give you a nice ticket in the mail, and a warrant for arrest delivered in house! But hey, if that happens, at least that level of attention shows that they are really concerned about all the OTHER citizens in town!

25. kenster888

kenster888 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Best advice: slow down.
    Whatever the punishment I hope you learned your lesson. Otherwise you might be in a mortuary sooner than you think.