A plea to everyone that posts pics on FChat | FerrariChat

A plea to everyone that posts pics on FChat

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Feb 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Like many members, I am in the boonies and do not have access to high-speed internet connections. I am on dial-up (the World Wide Wait). There are many threads with picture posts that I would like to see, but when members post a hugh picture (8x10" on my screen), they take a long time to download on the thread.

I am hopeful that everyone can please take a minute to resize their images prior to posting. It's so simple to do!

Pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaase????

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't allow anything larger than 640 by 640 pixels for this very reason. We only have a small percentage on dial up now, so there actually might be more complaining if they couldn't see the higher resolution photos.

I'm sure you could get a satellite or cable internet connection. Heck, my Sprint wireless card gives me 130k speeds.

I feel your pain though,
    rob

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    That's why I generally shrink pics. Rarely do they need to be 640x640.
    Download the Opera Browser - it is the fastest browser, period. Get the free one.
    Side benefit: you can turn Images *off*.
    Any thread that has a paper clip beside it has images, so, turn images off (1 click) - then click the thread. Or if you see a thread that you know is loaded with pics (Crystal Cove, Bikini, etc.), turn images off... say there's a post in particular you'd like to check out because everybody's raving about it... turn images on, click the post # - or do it one at a time if you see there's tons of pics on one post. Either way, You get the filet mignon without having to eat the creamed corn.

Besides having the one click on/off - the Opera Browser is already way faster than the competition, so even if you leave images on all the time, you'll still have an easier time on a "slow" conection. Can't lose.

4. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Dial up? Dial up????????

Plea denied.

Next case?

5. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    how much is satellite? my dsl is crap

6. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    [quote
    Any thread that has a paper clip beside it has images, so, turn images off (1 click) - then click the thread. Or if you see a thread that you know is loaded with pics (Crystal Cove, Bikini, etc.), turn images off... quote

Turning pictures off on Bikini thread.... i guess you reeaadd Playboy too.
    Funny, had to comment.

7. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    They have articles in Playboy? I know you're kidding just as I was, but still...

It's simply to prevent waiting for several minutes for a dialup's page to load. Click posts one at a time for cheap thrills while his wife goes to the can.

Theoretical 4 images per post, 20 posts per page, 12,500 KB each image... My DSL'll smoke that:
    download time: 6.48
    download size in thousands of bytes: 1000 (1,000,000)
    estimated line speed (K bits per second): 1259.3
    estimated line speed (K bytes per second): 154.3

But a dialup moving at an honest 44K will take 28.54545 times longer...
    184.974516 seconds =
    3 minutes, 5 seconds for 1 MB

That's why he made the not unreasonable "plea"

8. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Opera=awesome!

Anyway, dsl ain't so expensive anymore, satellite may be a good choice for you, there is also a 'shotgun' modem from Diamond that uses two phone lines and is essentially two 56 modems. you can also get a cheap wireless card and download netstumbler and see if any neighbors have an unencrypted network and jack their bandwidth.

I used to have the 'shotgun' and it worked really well for me.

IEWA (internet explorer windows accessories) for IE4 or 5 (still works for ie6+) allows you to click a button and 'toggle images' as well. then just right click on the photo to say 'show picture'