Speed Traps in the area | FerrariChat

Speed Traps in the area

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Willdief, Nov 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Willdief

Willdief Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Mercer Island, WA
    Full Name:
    Will Diefenbach
  2. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Yup, They're getting tricky too. Laser usage seem more frequent these days. Just a reminder of why I hate driving the 360 on major highways.

3. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    lots of traps between federal way and fife...........especially in the morning commute. you're right willis, lots of lasers being used also. it seems my V1 doesn't pick up the laser till its way too late.

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Plenty of speed traps on I-5 going north to the border too. They had a plane out near Skagit Valley Saturday morning. And speed traps near Lynnwood, Stanwood, and just south of Bellingham and near Lynden.

5. Willdief

Willdief Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Mercer Island, WA
    Full Name:
    Will Diefenbach
    I have seen some stealthy unmarked cars recently, too. I saw a Monte Carlo cruising I-5. Luckily, I was only going a bit above the limit and he just drove past me. Of course the white Suburbans are legendary now; I slow down whenever I see one but sadly there are so many that it's rare it's the real thing.
    - Will

6. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    This darn budget crisis is killing us. This points out the value of driving the back roads and staying off I-5!!! Of course all the back roads have been wiped out with the rock slides. I'm just going to stay home.

7. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Always watch out 4 cities:

Clyde Hill
    Medina
    Yarrow Point
    and Hunts Point

Speed limit 25 mph. Ferrari driver BEWARE

8. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    WA State Patrol has recently requested an additional $350k for stealth/unmarked patrol cars from the state legislature.

Here is what I have seen on various WA State highways:

White Volvo Wagon
    Maroon Dodge Intrepid
    Black Chevy Tahoe
    White Chevy Caprice with Taxi cab markings (!)
    White Jeep SUV

Various color Ford Crown Victorias

They do NOT necessarily have a license plate starting with "WSP", often they have regular passenger car plates....The big tip off to identifying these cars is the totally blacked out/dark tinted windows...you cannot look in and see who is driving, except from the front. I have been passed by them, and could not identify the driver.

9. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Also look for a white Z28 Camaro with civilian plates. There was a write up in the paper this morning identifying speed traps by mile post markers and hwy numbers, two of which were 186 and 210 on I-5 (by my exit!). I will see if i can dig it up and post it.
    DJ

10. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I-5, Mile posts; 110, 141, 174, 186 & 210

I-90, Mile posts; 10 and 36

I-405, Mile post 17

SR 18, MP 20

SR 2, MP 3

These locations are the most used and not conclusive.

Compass directions not given.

SR 9 was not listed so I guess it's open season! Yeeehaaaww!

DJ

11. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Highway 9 has patrols hidden around bends. On a group drive, one of us got pulled over but not for speeding.

Any ideas why they're doing this media blitz now?

12. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Oh, almost forgot. 520 around the Lowe's location near the 405 interchange. V1 usually get hits because of the parking lot there and cops hide under that false reading cover. They are learning...

13. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    SR9 had a sheriff with someone pulled over. Our caravan passed by doing about 75 to 80, with Dan Ramos doing a pass! :)

He didn't pull out...

If you look at the stats, the new State Patrol chief is responsible for all the speed emphasis. He came on board about 2.5 years ago, and felt that we had too many preventable accidents and too few tickets issued, so he put out the word to the troops, "issue tickets, lot's of them"...Accidents ARE down though....but I wish they weren't so we could tell him to "stick it"! :)

14. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Ooops, Guess I should have checked the link before I posted.

15. FAD2BLK

FAD2BLK Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My advice when it comes to being stopped for speeding:

1) Most important- Pass the "Attitude Test".
    If you fail this one, you are screwed! Be courteous whether you end up getting a ticket or not. If you are cited, the narrative he writes on the court copy could pay divideneds if you choose to contest a ticket. It can say that you were p/c= polite and cooperative, or it could say a/h= axxhole. A Magistrate is much less likely to drop or lessen a fine if the ticket talks about how you swore at the officer calling him a mother fker, and threatened to burn down his house...

2) Don't argue- You stand to loose every chance of a warning if you challenge him and make him prove to you that you were indeed speeding. Politely dissagree if you truely believe he is mistaken.

3) Appologize- From experience I am much more likely to give a warning to a driver if they appologize. It cant hurt to have a somewhat plausible reason as well... Like, "I didn't realize how fast I was going." (Of course if you are doing 160mph on I-90, I would not use that one....)

4) Ask for a warning- Especially if you have a clear driving history. Be sure to talk to the Officer the first time he is at your window; this is your opportunity to influence his decision. The Officer will always get your drivers license, insurance information and return to his vehicle to do a computer check; But get your words in before he leaves. If you wait until he returns, he may have already written the ticket, and once it is written it's a done deal.

5) Be a Police Officer- No guarantees with this one, but I would say it is about as close to a guaranteed warning as your gonna get! Become a Reserve Officer for you local P.D., you might enjoy it, and you will have stories to tell your friends, like about the Ferrari you stopped doing 160mph on I-90...

6) If all else fails- I have heard that crying helps. ;)

Dave L.

16. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Dave L.,

Thanks for the tips, I will use them wisely. :)

17. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Thanks Dave,
    Usually when I get stopped I NEVER argue because they usually have me dead to rights. I usually acknowlege that I was 'Pushing the envelope' too. It seems that most officers appreciate NOT having their intelligence offended by some B.S. cock n bull story.

Some how I got off without so much as a warning the last two times............must mean the next time I get stopped I end up in the slammer!.

P.S. To this date I have never been pulled over in the 308. Law of averages?

DJ

18. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    Snoqualmie Area...especially the SR Parkway. Apparantly their only source of revenue! They are there pretty much 24x7.

Recently, Ames Lake Road (just before my house) and 202 just short of Ames Lake Road but past the Texaco. State trooper hidden at the end of driveway in each case with instant on radar. (I noticed the hit on the car in front of me...) I know a lot of you are on this road so take care...this trap was rarely used in the past 10 years and now it appears they are there every week.

Also, I would recommend against saying "I don't know how fast I was going" this puts you at a disadvantage if you go to court.

Also, the hit on 520 & 405 is also coming from the side road just ot the north. (24th?) They have a static speed display there... Warning for those of you that might be thinking Lowe's is closed etc...

- JMG

19. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  20. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Definitely not on the road