Ferrari "Hot Rods" | FerrariChat

Ferrari "Hot Rods"

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by cheddah, Feb 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cheddah

cheddah Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    I was looking at a picture of a 365 GTC/4 Competition from Modena Sports Cars of Hollywood CA and my mind started wanderering when I wondered what will happen as parts for older Ferraris get more and more scarce.

-period correct will matter less as the time to get the parts negates enjoyment of the car.

- The young and rich will find greater expression in obtaining older cars and personalizing them (power or looks). An example is of Detroit Iron customization taking off in music circles.

-The d.i.y. will (with the lack of "Ferrari" parts) will personalise his/her vehicle putting an end to saving it for the next guy ( those horrid aftermarket bras).

- new cars will fall off warranty faster as people rush to have something truly their own and replace mufflers, etc.

- High technology used to improve an older cars power, longevity will cause the formation of speed shops much like those of Southern CA. in the '50s.

- Someone will receive great praise and damnation for having the first 500hp Daytona for the street.

Any other seers out their?

"My God it's a planet of apes!"- Taylor

2. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    If the cost to "play the Ferrari game" gets to the point that only the high six figure income guys can participate, then there won't be much "Ferrari game" left to play. Who wants to stand in front of the candy store window and stare inside at the rich people eating the delicious candy? After a while, there is little point or personal reward in that action, so one might as well move on to other things. The high dollar celebrity types like pro athletes, rock musicians, and movie stars will always have the big bucks to buy the latest cool Ferrari or other exotic car. But it's mostly a status symbol to them because most of them aren't true car enthusiasts. When they grow weary of their new toy and it's associated "image" becomes passe, they will trade it in for a newer model. I'm wondering about what will happen to the 355, 360, 550 type Ferraris when they start to become "passe" to the hip crowd. These cars are FAR more high maintenance than the 308 types. So exactly WHO will become the owners and caretakers of these high maintenance cars when they grow a few years past their prime? Exactly WHO is going to have the patience, knowledge, and finances to pull the engine from one of these beasts in their own home garage when it comes time to perform a FULL service? Somehow, I can't see most professional wealthy folks diving into such a project on their extremely valuable spare time, even IF they are a true Ferrari enthusiast. Will the classified ads of the future be bloated with 1990s vintage Ferraries that have suffered from engine maintainence neglect? Will the future become a buyers market for the true enthusiast?

3. cheddah

cheddah Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    I agree....

It is also possible that Ferrari might lose some of the future potential owners if they see many ill-running Ferraris on the road (or on the side).

What I am talking about is the rumor I have heard that Sefac Ferrari is no longer going to (re)produce parts for cars older than 10 yrs old.

Please tell me this is not true

4. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    You need look no further then the 512TR to see the future market for the 1990's ferrari's. Just imagine twice to three times as many of them for sale.

It's a car. It's supposed to depreciate. What level will they go to? Anybodys guess. My guess 355/360/550 depreciations will be more in line with Porsche cars.

5. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    this is an excellent thread. the rapid rise of technology has/will continue to all but eliminate the home mechanic. i absolutely believe that a part of the spike in muscle cars is the fact that 1) thay can be worked on by the average person and machine shop.2) there is a huge industry on the rise in support of these older cars since there were enough made its econommically viable to make replacement parts for them 3) i started looking at older lambos, jalpa and jarma to be exact. i have settled on a carb euro 308 gtb, if/when i can find the right car.the problem with the lambos is that there are almost no parts readily available, unless you buy another car for spares. they made enough of the 3x8 series and i believe as they get older a market for reproduction parts will be there, ready for the taking.
    the newer fuel injected , computer cars that are now 20 years old or so ( 1980 was the first year for most GM stuff) are almost always passed over by enthusiasts. some are completely gutted and a carb or variation of aftermarket fuel injection installed on a "crate " motor. with so many new cars , ferrari included, requiring more than a laptop to repair and diagnose, i see the prices dropping to places the carb cars never saw. i have a nice shop. i wont usually buy a older computer car because of the headaches with servicing it. one carb or 12, they are not that hard to learn how to work on and the parts can be made in a pinch or purchased if you look hard enough. i know that GM only kept parts around for 10 years or so , but since so many cars shared parts this was not a problem. my 1981 turbo trans am was a adventure to work on and get parts for. they only made them for 2 years, the performance was terrible and they only appeal to trans am collectors . i got rid of mine after owning it since 1989. hopefully since ferrari is making so many cars, there will be cheap technology available in the future to help maintain the cars. garages with lifts will be manditory as these cars cant be worked on properly with only jackstands. lower prices on used models i hope will ensure the longevity of our passion for the marque, the rich will always have the Enzo's to enjoy. i will be quite happy with a 3x8 thank you!!!!!