Considering moving to Orange County | FerrariChat

Considering moving to Orange County

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by mighty, Feb 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mighty

mighty Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    I'm thinking about moving to the OC/Newport Beach area for school. Can anyone recommend a nice area to live in (Corona Del Mar, Costa mesa, Newport?) and a college to go to? How's weather and traffic down there? Finally, are things expensive compared to LA? Thanks.

2. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

I lived in Corona Del Mar for a couple of years ad I rented apartments. I lived in two apartments in Newport Beach and one in Conoa Del Mar. It was pretty pricey but not that bad if you can get a room mate. Costa Mesa is much more affordable, as is Irvine. However, I think that LA is pretty pricey, too, depending on which part so maybe you won't think it's as expensive as I did.

3. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    What year are you in college and what do you plan on studying? There are PLENTY of universities and community colleges to choose between and they all specialize in certain fields.

Irvine isn't a bad place to live, but its not the kind of exciting living as LA or Newport. Irvine is working on building a rediculous amount of apartments, so depending on when your thinking of moving, you could probably find a nice deal on a new one. If you move here, the University of California Irvine is nice local school that has pretty well rounded departments. Not too expensive either.

4. mighty

mighty Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    I'm a junior in college and my major is Economics. Not really thinking about community colleges though, just universities with good reputations. My first choice would be Corona del mar and newport, but i'm open to costa mesa and irvine too.

5. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Mighty,
    If you are thinking about transferring to a school in OC, I would recommend UC Irvine. They have a program in Economics, albeit not as challenging as UCLA or USC, but they do have a program. They also have a MBA program that is 2nd tier, but gaining good ground on some of the top name schools.

I grew up in Irvine, so if you need any tips, just let me know.

Byron

6. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I can tell you one thing, avoid the Coronado at Newport if you do decide to come to Newport. I just dropped the condo and opted to keep the apt here and transition my way into La Canada. Small one bedroom is like 1400, property looks good from afar, but is far from good. The girls here are easy though! And the blonde at Al's cafe is a cutie ;)

I am looking into a place at the balboa bay club across from newport autosport because i still need an oc presence and swinging bachelor pad. i'll report back on prices but it will definately be more than this place here.

check http://losangeles.craigslist.org for a place...