250 Europa with Vignale Body 0313EU | FerrariChat

250 Europa with Vignale Body 0313EU

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Simon, Feb 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    A small piece in Class Cars, "Discovered", one of 4 Vignale bodied 250 Europa's discovered in California. Chassis #0313EU, engine from 0331EU.
    I'll try and post a scan later.

Does anybody have any info on this and the other three Vignale 250 Europas?
    Amazing that these rare cars still pop up today, especially somewhere like California.
    Cheers
    Simon

2. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Here's the scan..apologies if its a repost.

3. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    "Discovered"???? Seems like the owner for the past 30 years knew exactly where it was. Probably in his garage. Some other guy comes along this week and pays several hundred thousand dollars for it. Whoop dee dooo. Somebody pays big bucks for a rare old Ferrari. Is that something strange or a rare accomplishment? Hardly. Tell me that he paid $7500 for it this week and I will tip my hat to him because that WOULD be something worth talking about.

4. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I'd say a rare ferrari that has been out of the public eye for so long, then resurfaces is interesting enough.
    Simon

5. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    I agree with Simon. I love keeping up on what has been unearthed or out of the public eye for so long. Any other discoveries to report?

6. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Yes. 500 TR s/n 0640MDTR and 500 Mondial 0560MD, which have been off the public radar screen for sometime, have surfaced in the UK recently. Both will reportedly be offered in the Bonhams sale at the RAF Museum in Hendon on April 26, 2004.

7. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    There is a collector close to me with a garage full of Ferraris. Some older, rare models have not seen the light of day in quite some time. They are definitely not lost and many of the historians know of these cars. The average enthusiast has not seen them and these cars may not appear on the scene for some time. I'm sure there is already a long waiting list for these cars if they ever come to market. I have picked mine out already.

8. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I think that my point was this: If Joe Smith found out that some out-of-the-limelight collector had an old Ferrari for sale for $300,000 then it would be no big deal. Since the car had a $300,000 price tag, the 30 year owner obviously knew what he had: no great discovery. But since Tom Shaughnessy, a known wheeler dealer "discovered" the car, then it's worthy of a magazine article and more accolades to Mr. Shaughnessy. I say, big deal. I think that I will dig through some of my 20 year old copies of Hemmings Motor News and "discover" some of the old cars that never sold. Maybe they will do an article about my latest "discoveries" and I will get a pat on the back from the hoity toity members of the upper crust Ferrari community.

9. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Arlie....

Go for it. The article was not published because it was Tom Shaunessey who did the finding, it was about the rare car. There are a number of big name English collector car magazines who do entire sections on such "discovered" cars in each months issue. They publish stuff like this little article from anyone who has such a find. If its an interesting car and you have intrigueing photos.... getting a little blurb published is a snap.

So, dig out your hold Hemmings..... do some leg work.... shoot some pics of that rare old car you find, and send it in.

You know.... perhaps your a tad too cynical. Your as bad in the cynical dept. about the collector car world as I am about US Politics.... and thats saying alot!

Terry

10. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Terry, I think that Howard Dean is probably the most cynical about US politics this week!

As for discovering rare Ferraris, I will have to do some more research. But about 14 years ago, I "discovered" a 1955 Corvette, serial number 7, after hearing a rumor from a guy who saw it back in 1974 at a local body shop. It took me a week's worth of phone calling and lead tracking, but I finally found that guy who owned it. The car had been sitting unrestored inside of a semi-trailer since 1974. Essentially nobody knew that car existed. Since they only made 6 "six cylinder" powered Corvettes in 1955, there was the possibility that this car was the very FIRST V8 powered Corvette. That would have been a real find. But those 6 "six cylinder" cars were scattered throughout the production run, so that car couldn't conclusively get the title of the world's first V8 powered Corvette. But the chase was fun. I contacted the owner and he wasn't interested in selling. But a few years later he had some bankruptcy problems and sold it to somebody else. The chances of locating a rare Ferrari in these parts is very rare. But I did run across a local guy who had a Maserati Osca in his garage up until a few years ago. He use to do some racing back in the sixties. But he sold the car a few years ago to somebody who "discovered" it.

11. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Arlie,

Those english magazines (like the one who published the subject article to this thread) will publish just about any old car "discovery". Ive seen many stories on old junkyards full of Morris minors and MGBs. They are not picky. If you know where some even remotely interesting old cars are, shoot some pics and write it up. Odds are they would publish it!

Terry

12. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I know Tom, as do many others on this board. I also know that he works his freeking ass off to find these cars and purchase them. I also know he buys cars in such a totaly trashed out condition for such high dollars that it makes my hair stand on end!
    Like it or not, this is a guy who really understands the value of Ferrari, has the balls to put his money where his mouth is, and is highly respected.

13. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I'll second that emotion re: Tom S. - he ain't "the king of the toasted ponies" for nothin'!!