Info on Ansa Exhausts for 308s? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Info on Ansa Exhausts for 308s?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 308GTS, Jan 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Steven-- I believe you may be off a bit on the belt cover issue--I have upgraded from a 308 v2 to a 308v4 to a 328 motor in my car and I have used the same belt covers on all of them( did not want to paint a new set) --I DID check the stampings on v4 and 328 and they are the same part number and identicle to those on original v2 motor.--If they changed them it must have been late in the 328 run.--now--the cam pulleys, however,are different--the later cars upgraded to metal ones instead of plastic.

2. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Atlantaman,

WOW, many thanks for the info! Never heard a Flowmaster, yet the exhaust on the car here definitely does not sound like a truck. Thanks for the info on the stock Euro exhaust. Have it in my basement and it looks like the ANSA others have been discussing. Never took it apart to really see what goes on inside of it. In fact i am getting tired of seeing it in my basement, have advertised it for sale a few time yet no takers, and since no one seems to want to buy it i might just throw it in the garbage.

Will check on the cam cover as if there is better out there that will work, a few hundred is reasonable. Though i do have a question... "the cam pulleys, however, are different--the later cars upgraded to metal ones instead of plastic." Are these newer metal parts directly swappable for the plastic ones on the late model Euro 308? Frankly could care less about "concourse correct" and care more about the life and durability of the car.

Any other hints/tips?

MANY thanks as ALL help is ALWAYS appreciated.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

3. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    just as with GM anf Ford--a lot of motor parts are interchangable--the valve covers on 308v4 and 328 are interchangable as are gaskets. Headers also, and a ot more i suspect. I do believe the cam "sprockets" are interchangable but if you want to spend a few bucks more, there are several people that have had really nice sets made with rounded teeth and belts to match. The problem with the square tooth is that a 90 degree angles allow for cracks to start and propogate, thus prematurely destroyn' belts.

look thru the archives on the old fchat site

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    The 3.2 and qv are pretty much the same engine with sl different displacement - even the cams and heads are about the same I'm told.

I talked to the guy on the old board who did the round tooth belt conversion - he said he was getting out of the business and it would only fit a 2valve. He sold his last set about a year ago on Ebay.
    Saw a picture of the belts side-by-side and what a difference - the rounded belt was much huskier. Wish some one else would pick that conversion up for a qv.

I am really getting interested in this dual exhaust system thng as it makes sense to me to have one with a flat crank V-8. Looking for a muffler(s) that would have the most smooth sonorous bass tone throughout the range - although heretical I realize, I'm not a fan of the high screaming tubi sound now in fashion. All advice welcome.

best
    rt

5. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    that basstone you are looking for is a property of the flowmaster, although we could not find a configuration of flowmaster mufflers that would fit under the 308. the magnaflows i have on my car have a deep tone all the way thru the rpm band. if you do not need catalytic converters, then it is feasible to install a dual exhaust, but there is not enough room for the mufflers and cats. i have a complete extra cat bolt on setup that replace the mufflers for emissions purposes, but now my car is 25 years old and i never need an emissions test as long as i own the car - yeehaw...We chose the magnaflows because the inside of the mufler has perforations that do not extend into the muffler chamber as most mufflers do - allowing for a very free flow with virtually no restriction.
    john

6. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Stebro is more 'bassy' than an Ansa, sort of half way between Ansa and an American V8. Some complain that they are a bit loud, tho. They also have a removable insert in the tip for an even louder note. My next choice if/when my Ansa burns out. (FWIW, I think the Ansa sounds like a 4 cyl. I don't want to get mistaken for a 'ricer'.)

7. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Re: Stebro: I have one on my car, and it sounds pretty good. I have a sound clip at home (the quality of the clip is not that great, though), when I get a chance, maybe I can post it.

I should note that I've heard from my Alfa mechanic that the quality of the stebro is not that great, and they've had lots of problems with bad welds, gaskets, etc.

But, it is 1/2 the price of a tubi

Dom

8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Cat not an issue with mine, so should have room. Is it muffler length or something else that gives the tone? What is the effect of resonated tips?
    Had thought about using separate Magnaflows and exiting through Ansa tips or snaps. I understand the concern about it sounding ricy - I even think many of the newer Ferraris sound quite tinny and buzzy.
    The best computer clip (for what they are worth) I have heard so far of a Ferrari V-8 has been a Capristo on a 3.2, although dual tubis on a Maserati 3.2 sound pretty good (but not similar to my single cat tubi 3.2). The stock Euro Ansa twin system clip I have also sounds pretty good, not like the stock US spec exhaust at all. Any other sound clips, especially of the Magnaflows or Flowmasters would be much appreciated. If anyone has a website to post these or would like a copy, I'll gladly send them on.
    Many thanks to all for great information!!!
    best
    rt

OBTW
    steve - new avatar is great - any more pics? Think she would like an old government employee? :)

9. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    rt: My 'ricey' sounding Ansa is the aftermarket 'Euro' one. Not OEM.

The first night that I brought the car home, after walking thru the front door, my other half asked if the kids in their rice-mobiles were terrorizing the neighborhood again.

Dom: I'm wondering if the Alfa-Stebro has mounting probs that stress a weld. I haven't heard of probs with an F-Stebro.

10. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Same here; I've only heard good things about Stebros on F-cars. I've just ordered one for my 308QV, and it should be here next week. I've already got one of their euro resonators and like it alot.

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I think steve should post his avatar pic in his profile and put the engine as his avatar. Lets see bigger pics, no more teasing.

12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Well - that's important to know as I was looking at Euro Ansas as the sound clip I had sounded ok. I would certainly rather keep the racous tubi than go to a 4-cyl sound.
    thanks

13. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Attached is a link to a sound clip of my GT4 with Stebro exhaust. The quality is not too great, since it was taken with my digital camera. But hopefully it is useful to someone.

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/vitarella_family

Dom

14. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Dom:

Of course, one problem with an in-car camera is that you're getting a lot of the Weber sounds. Mine sounds like an F1 car from the inside, but like a Mitsu from the outside.

But, trust me, the Stebro is the real deal from a spectator standpoint. A guy had one on a GTSi at a recent track day. It would give you shivers from a mile away.

15. Jax8308

Jax8308 Rookie

Nov 12, 2003
    N.J.
    Full Name:
    Jack B.
    Russ,

I have had the Euro Ansa on my car for 17 years. Rusting is not a problem. Of course I don't drive my car in the winter. Only Stainless will prevent rust for a year round car. As for the sound, it definitely does not sound "ricey". Having had two "Z" cars including the new 350Z as well as several vettes, I have learned that the canister style mufflers hardly ever sound bad. It is the straight through mufflers that seem to take on the annoying "ricey" or way to loud sound. They make a little more power but at the expense of sound quality. I have also heard a Tubi on a 308 and thought it sounded good, just little to loud for every day use. Also, any muffler without the cats will be louder than with them on, so take this into consideration. I think if the Ansa sounds bad for someone, it could be a baffle that has come loose and is causing the sound to deteriorate. Sound and loudness are a personal preference to me. A 3.0 liter V8 is never going to sound like a muscle car. Just my .02.