308 GTSi Valve Adjustment | FerrariChat

308 GTSi Valve Adjustment

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ROGER, Feb 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ROGER

ROGER Karting

Feb 9, 2002
    Lake Havasu City, Az
    Full Name:
    Roger Blakeman
    I've been searching the archives etc. and can't seem to find a procedure for this. Can anyone send me in the right direction??

Thanks, Roger B.

2. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    click on model list go to ferrari 308 faq click on ferrari image go to engine click on valve adjustment.

3. ROGER

ROGER Karting

Feb 9, 2002
    Lake Havasu City, Az
    Full Name:
    Roger Blakeman
    Ria, thanks for your help!!

Roger B.

4. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Roger this is easier than you think. 1st it depends on milage as to whether you'll need to do an actual adjustment or just a check. I got my 77B with 32k on the clock and it had a 30k tune up but I guess the cam cover gasket either was put on wrong or whatever because it leaked. So I needed to do gaskets and while I was there I checked all of the valve gaps. So the simple process is take a feeler gage (check the book for gap) and go to it. With the high lob of the cam straight up from the tappet bucket just slide the gage under and verify the gap. Do this with all valves and write down the numbers. If you find one out (usually a exhaust valve) then you can either buy the F tools or improvise. I would use a large screwdriver to push the valve bucket down and then a ice pick to push the shim out. Measure the thickness of the shim and do the math for the correct thickness and then order the new shims from T Rutlands or someone else. I just did a cambelt change this past Dec. and checked the valves again and all but 1 were in spec. and the one that was out was tight by about .001". Should be a piece of cake to do. Don't fear it.

5. ROGER

ROGER Karting

Feb 9, 2002
    Lake Havasu City, Az
    Full Name:
    Roger Blakeman
    Steve King-

Thanks for the info-that's very helpful. I was just a little goosey about doing it without some input from you guys. I've done most of the other work on the car and this is next. It has about 61k on it and sounds good to me but I still want to check and adjust ir required. And yes I'll probably make my own tools.

Again, thanks-Roger B.