Are 348s really that bad? | FerrariChat

Are 348s really that bad?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by pk328, Feb 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pk328

pk328 Karting

Oct 16, 2003
    Nottingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm looking to buy my first Ferrari this summer, with a budget of around £30k.

I popped in to my local dealer recently and told him that I was thinking of a 348 to which he shuddered and told me that they are way more trouble than they are worth and that a 328 is a much better proposition (funnily enough he had 3 328s and no 348s in stock!).

My question is, was this chap just scaremongering or are 348s really a nightmare to run, especially for a first timer on a relatively modest budget?

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, from a totally subjective point of view, the 328 represents that last of a log line of similar cars, therefore more "developed", if you will. That said, the average bird won't know the difference between a fibreglass '75 thru the last
    '88 or '89. They'll just recognize it from Magnum, PI.!

The 348 was the first unibody, the first departure in a lot of areas as far as design. I think they have a lot of detractors, since the 355 is widely viewed as "better". There's a lot of happy 348 owners out there. They didn't all go to the crusher. They do seem to have a lot of "quality of build" issues, but a Ferrari never will be a Roll Royce!

I've got a ragged old carb 308GTB, and wouldn't have it any other way! HTH

3. Badapple

Badapple Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    West London
    Full Name:
    Phil
  4. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    Go back when he has a late 348 spider in stock for £38K and ask his opinion then!

Have a look in the old archives of Ferrari Chat - There is a vast amount of posts regarding reliability issues & other annoyances for all of the 3X8 series of cars.

I love the 348 - I also love the 328 and 308 (and the 365BB/512 & ..... - but that’s another story!). Each is a masterpiece IMHO.

Below are a few prices from QV on servicing etc.

308QV/328 6000 mile service £486.50
    348 6000 mile service £522.00

308/QV/328 Cam belt change £299.00
    348 Cam belt change £968.00

308QV/328 Valve Clearance £357.00
    348 Valve Clearance £462.00

The main difference in upkeep is the Cam belt change on a 348 - It requires the engine to be dropped out (as does the 355, 512TR, TR etc). Not as bad as it sounds as it is mounted on a sub frame along with the gearbox, transaxle & suspension. Hell of lot easier to work on and you can also address other maintenance issues while the rear end is out.

Good luck in you search!

Paul

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks Paul. I hear this all the time, yet the appeal of the 348 when one comes in the shop is undeniable. A beautiful machine.

6. chrisdataclinic

Nov 27, 2003
    Lancashire, England
    Full Name:
    Chris Seeley
    I have a 93 348gts and love it to bits. Apparently the early 348s had some problems but these were soon ironed out. The 348 was I believe a big leap forward for Ferrari in many things including design and performance.

I've heard some say that the 355 is a 348 without the edge. It has more hp, yes, but it also has power steering and less feel...

Still, there you go... I can't help feel that the 328s are quite ugly for Ferraris

No doubt in my mind, always a 348... especially as you can get them on Classic insurance too :)

Chris

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, now that you mention it, the bumpers acquired kind of a "heavy" look towards the end, but I think "UGLY" is a pretty strong word!!

8. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Spoken like a true 348 owner, Maybe you should ask yourself why there are so many around at ridiculouly low prices ?

The answer to the main question in this thread is .......YES !

Steve

9. Steve_nero

Steve_nero Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I don't like the interior of the 348 at all. I've only driven one, which was in fantastic condition and a 93 car (it's for sale at Rardley Motors). I thought it was great to drive and felt quite modern considering it's age. They are also visually stunning. I love them.

Having said that, I bought a 355 on the weekend! I guess I love 355's more.

Will post pictures soon.

10. Andy hls

Andy hls Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2003
    Kent UK
    Full Name:
    Andy
    348s are not bad at all most people that slag them off either havent driven them or they own a 355,all the problems that people go on and on about them can be fixed very cheaply and once done the car drives like a ferrari should drive. ie: by the driver not letting the car do the work for you like some of the more modern cars. Get a 348 you will not be dissapointed.

11. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    You should buy the lastest model ferrari that you looking at.
    Buy either the lastest 328 or the lastest 348.

I would not consider a 348 from 1989 to 1991 (348 TS are 348 TB), even if they are low mileage. My thought only though. I have had no problems with my 348 spider since I have owned it. Done 32000 miles on the same clutch still.

The 348 in 1992 onwards to 1993 was called 348 TS are 348 TB
    They had the battery in front instead of the rear, colour coded side skirts chrome horse badges instead of black and the handling was revised.

The 348 from 1993 to late 1994 are better called 348 GTB and 348 GTS
    Power increased to 320 BHP, handling revised again.

The 348 1994 are the best called the 348 Spider.
    This car was as the test bed for the 355 spider. The 348 GTB and GTS stop production because the 355 was launched expcept for the 355 spider and 348 spider continued along side the 355 with the 355 handling characteristics. All the early issues where sorted out. Single clutch plate like the GTB and GTS models, more durable.

Note though the price of a good 348 spider costs the same as the early 355 LHD models. You could consider 355 as well or even a TR.

I love the styling of the 348 called the baby TR. The 355 is the mass production model of Ferrari, beacause it very good and in some ways better the the 348, but the 355 has it problems as well. The 348 raod feel is better then the 355, its like a go kart. A real drivers car. 355 got all the driver aids.

Test drive them all. Look at loads, ensure they have a good update verifed history and if something does not seem right with car walk away. They are many out there.

When you go on a test drive, if the seller thrashes it from cold trying to show you what it can do that is usually a sign of how its been driven through out its present owners life.

It took my a year to find the right car....

A ferrari needs to be driven daily. Do not store for long periods leads to mechanical trouble.

12. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    The F348 Ferrari Spyder was launched in 1993, running alongside the evolutionised F348 GTB/GTS. It was the first two-seater spyder sportscar made by Ferrari since the 365 GTB/4 (Daytona) Spyder last sold in 1974. It was the first mid-engine two seater Spyder produced by Ferrari.

There have been many engineering developments and design refinements to F348 series that have improved its Performance, Handling and Comfort.

In addition to the modifications to the body configuration of the F348 Spyder, there had been significant technical changes that enhanced the performance and road stability.

Engineering developments included a transverse gearbox with revised ratios for quicker acceleration and a free flowing exhaust system for higher power output. The wider rear track with an improved suspension system assured better handling and manoeuvrability.

In 1994, the evolutionised F348 GTB/GTS cease production with the all new F355 GTB/GTS. The F348 Ferrari Spyder’s were still produced alongside the F355 series.

The late F348 Ferrari Spyder’s were further evolutionised by introducing the F355 characteristics onto the F348 Spyder’s as a development platform for the all new F355 Spyder that was to be released in 1995, when the F348 Spyder cease production.

F348 Engine Specifications

90-Degree light Alloy V8 mounted longitudinally
    4 Valves per cylinder – 32 valves
    Valvetrain - 2 Double overhead camshafts per bank
    Displacement Capacity - 3405 cc
    Bore - 85 mm / Stoke - 75 mm / Compression Ratio - 10.4:1
    Dry sump & Oil intercooler
    5 Speed Dog-leg Transverse Close Ratio Gearbox
    Dry single plate clutch with limited slip differential

F348 Engine Management Specification
    Bosch Motronic M2.7 electronic Ignition
    Bosch Motronic M2.7 Fuel Injection system
    On-Board Self-Diagnosis/reprogramming
    Air Injection with twin Oxygen sensors

13. chrisdataclinic

Nov 27, 2003
    Lancashire, England
    Full Name:
    Chris Seeley
    With the 348s spec above... who'd want an ugly 328 anyway? :)

Chris

14. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Has Gary Green re-registered under a pseudonym ? Is this person suffering form an Eyesight disorder ?

Maybe you should read Clarkson's view of the 348 before damning a car you have never owned ?

The 328 was the last Ferrari that Enzo himself briefed Pininfarina on, If you were a true Ferraristi or you new anything about the marque, you would not publically slate another model of the marque.
    Not all Ferrari's have been great, they have made some bad cars, but I would never attack the model just because I owned one of the more modern versions. It is WELL documented that the 348 was rushed into production, and was unilaterelly critercised for it's handling, perfomance and design.

Maybe you should consider your remarks more carefully in future !

Steve

15. Andy hls

Andy hls Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2003
    Kent UK
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Steve
    Why should we listen to Jeremy stuck up my own a$$ clarkson,we all know what a good driver he is. NOT
    You like 328s great,we like 348s again great.
    you got involved by slating the 348 theres no need, if you dont like them dont have one,youve taken offence to someone makeing a detrimental comment about 328s, it works both ways.

16. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Andy,

That's the whole point, I haven't slated the 348, I consider it to be inferior in design to a 328, YES, But that's my personal opinion which, until now I have kept to myself - Derogatory comments about other models is not what this site or I'm about. The 348 is still a Ferrari and for that I applaud what the company tried to do, but others seemed to have taken the opportunity to anger 328 owners ! Why is my only question ?

Steve

17. pk328

pk328 Karting

Oct 16, 2003
    Nottingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

Given their relative running costs I think I'll go for a 328, also it seems that the best 348s are the later ones that may be out of my price range.

I'm also tempted by a 993 that a guy at work is selling soon, but I guess I shouldn't share such sacreligous thoughts on this site...

18. RED HEAD

RED HEAD Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    H
    #18 RED HEAD, Feb 20, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    Guys Guys Guys, whether a 328, 348 or 355 they are all great cars, but all have their little quirks. I haven't driven a 328 but have been a passenger, I really enjoyed that. I did have a 348 on loan for a while it was great but did have a few quirks, the one I drove had an air con fault and kept cutting out if the climate was on. I currently own a 355 but that has a few quirks namely the cat sensors. All are ferrari history and its only opinion which separate them.

20. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    yes they are a nightmare

21. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003

I agree

It is widely accepted that the 328 was one of the most reliable ferraris and the 348 can NEVER have that attached to it!

The 348 is a flawed ferrari that why the prices are so low

22. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Pk328, i am still got mine for sale, perfect in and out, with new 18in split rims and S/S system. Red and Cream. Look at my posts going back six weeks for pics. I can send you more if you want.

23. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    You don't know what you are talking about. I've got a 1990 348TS, I've had a 1991 348 Challenge car which I raced in the Ferrari Owners' Club Maranello Ferrari Challenge. I've also had a 1992 348 which I raced in the Pirelli Maranello Challenge 'O' Class and AutoItalia.

I've still got my original 1990 348TS, and I can tell you that there is nothing inheritly wrong with the 348! People who critise the 348, mostly, are journalists who have never actually owned one.

I have been very successful with all my cars and I can tell you now that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 348. As with any other car, if you overstep the mark, it is going to bite you! I can assure you, treated with respect, the 348 is a perfect race/road car.

After the 348 I also had a 355 Challenege Car, obviously better than the 348 because the technology has moved on. I have since sold that and now have a 360M, which is that much better again.

People who talk about the 348 being twitchy on the limit, have probably not been on the limit, I can assure you my three cars have/had been, many times! My early car, had a few 'gremlins' which, for those of you who are interested, were upgraded by Ferrari, free of charge (1) was an extra oil channel drilled in the engine, (2) an upgrade on the suspension.

Basically, the 348 is a fantastic car to drive and own.

If you need any info, please contact me.

RAY360M

24. mario308

mario308 Karting

May 15, 2001
    UK
    Well said Ray!

If anyone saw your 348 like I have over the years they would be in total agreement with you.

Cheers,

Mario.

25. FAMILY MAN

FAMILY MAN Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    ** I owned two, a '92 ts and a '94 spider. The '92ts was in the shop quite often for ECU problems. The '94 spider was in the shop for ECUs once, clutch problems once and electrical problems on occasion.
    The later the s/n the better the 348. In the US where Ferraris are pampered to death, a low mile '90s car is a commonplace. High mileage does not hurt the car if it has up to date service history. Look around for a late s/n 94 or 95. The ts and tb were still available for 94 as the spider and spider only in 95.
    I put 59k miles on the 348ts and it was loosened up and handled great when it was on the road. I put 38k miles on the spider and it too was a great car. You might look for is the '89 Mondial T <348 v8> coupe. It has p/s, p/b, p/w, s/r, & back seat. Performance is close to the tb / ts models.