Wheels magazine F40 vs Diablo | FerrariChat

Wheels magazine F40 vs Diablo

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by allanlambo, Feb 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I ordered a couple magazines from Australia and this one is dated March 1996. pretty cool test of test speed on an Australian test track. The f40 hit 299kmh, the Diablo 296/kmh. This was not top speed, but track limited. The F40 kept popping out of 5th gear so they had to hold it in gear, the Diablo shredded its rear tire. A porsche 993TT hit 277kmh, a Lotus S4s 259kmh. In the 1/4 the Ferrari ran 11.7@ 204kmh the Diablo 12.3 @ 192kmh.

2. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Nice post. Thank you Allan. Tires were a big problem at sustained high speeds back then. Sort of still are. :)

Rick

3. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    No problem. In the article they commented how nice the F40 actually was to drive, considering as they said its a race car on the street. Its 1/4 mile time was extremely good 204 kmh is i believe 126-127mph. The Diablos also at right around 120mph are still pretty much cream of the crop. They noted that they wanted to do a lap in the Diablo without the rear wing, but ran out of time, as they felt it would of gone quicker. They said the F40 and the Diablo were very firmly planted at speed.

4. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Very interesting. I was under the impression that F40's, though fantastic "drivers" car, was rather a bear on the street. Especually with its heavy clutch and rigid suspension. The last few articles I've read have said its quite a nice car to drive and doesn't feel like racecar for the road!?

Has anyone on this site owned/extensively driven an F40 (preferrably street) that can comment on this car's true characteristics.

Thanks for the article highlights allanlambo.

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The F40 is a pain in the ass to drive on the streets.. the brakes dont really work , the clutch is hard , and the car is very spartan inside with the only comfy creature being the Ac.
    The ride is harsh but not to the point of being painful..

I drove in in town for 20 mns btw.Then i took it on the highway :)

That said , i would love to have one as a daily driver !

6. PininfarinaSF

PininfarinaSF Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 21, 2004
    CA
    How does the weight of the clutch compare to the later model Diablos? I have heard that the brakes were built for track use and are very ineffective until hot, is that true? What year diablo is the magazine comparing against the F40?

7. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Is it true the 288 GTO brakes better of what I'v heard?

8. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Braking problems, not that we noticed. On runs up Coldwater and Nichols Canyons in Beverly Hills and from Universal studios to the 405 on Mulholland, I don't think I have ever driven a car that handles those curves that well combined with the up and down motion, almost chicane like.

I am sure to agree on the not a fun daily driver in traffic, and back to the topic. Sounds like that tranny was worked like a $5 hooker.

I do believe that the Diablo is substantially limited by he drag of the wing. a variable position wing (ala vector or f1) would have let the top end meet the F40 on all respects. The F40 is still my favorite road car of all time.

The Diablo's weight with the tires is a factor. Speeds like those listed and the tire damage, could it have been a truly hot summer with higher than normal track temperatures, or were they factory rubber?

9. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Interesting.

Car & Driver put the two cars together back in the early 90's. The cover was entitled, "Judgement Day". C&D gave high marks to the F40. Though the Diablo performed very well, they claimed it was 'flabby' over the F40.
    I have that exact magazine burried somewhere.

Regarding the daily driver aspect of the F40, they were not fond of its difficulty to hold in the clutch in stoplight traffic. Other gripes included the F40's front grille collecting free floating McDonnalds bags and questionable ability to negotiate speed bumps.

- Gabe

10. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Ive driven an f40 on track and didnt see anything about it that would hinder me from driving it on the street. Clutch wasnt any heavier than i expected although the brakes squeeled like crazy.

The top speed of this test was track limited and no doubt both the F40 and Diablo would have gone faster. The Diablo tested was an early Vt 492hp. Without the wing, the Diablo may have clipped the f40's speed by a hair.

They were actually lucky with the Diablo, because they were getting ready to take off for another go at it, when just in the nick of time someone noticed a huge patch of thread missing from its tire. Couldve gotten ugly.

11. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I was at Moroso when they did this article. They tested an early Diablo 2 wheel drive. In the 1/4 the F40 ran 12.2 @122, the Diablo 12.4@119 . The Diablo cooked its brakes quickly on the track ( early Diablo brakes are horrid, much like an early TR).

They noted some build issues with both cars. The f40 came away the track winner, while the Diablo the publics winner.

12. bluekawala

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL

This is probably going to sound crazy... but they trim the tires on the monster trucks (granted they aren't going 200mph). Could they possibly trim rubber from the Diablo tires(?) if it's such a problem... I imagine this is probably more dangerous then good... but could it fix the weight problem you talk about? You'll no doubt loose several laps of run time on your tires, but if you have 200k for a car whats 1k-2k on tires when you use it. ;)

Happy driving everyone!

13. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    My car has about 30,000 miles on it. Personally, I think it fits like a glove. I love driving it. If I go more than 3 days without driving it I start to go into "withdrawals" :) My car is stiffer in the rear than most I have driven. I think that it is due to the adjustable ride height suspension. I don't find the clutch very heavy at all. It is a lot heavier than my Z06 and maybe just a bit more than my ZR1. The A/C works fine and because the car runs so cool at speed, the heater only works so-so on the Hwy but great in traffic.
    My car does have 18" wheels and larger brakes and although the pedal effort is high, they will put the pasenger into the windshield if they are not buckled in.
    As far as drivability goes, if you keep the RPM below 5000 and the throttle less than half it drives like a very responsive 328 that has been lowered and has wider tires. After all, it is basicly an 8 to 1 compression 308 engine.
    The car has great feedback. No power brakes, no power steering. That is one of the reasons I enjoy driving it so much. My Z06 feels so isolated by compairison. I was driving the F40 today in the rain and it was a lot of fun!
    4th gear will take you from a cruise on the freeway at 65mph to 150mph in very short order.
    The biggest problem is trying to just drive 65mph on the freeway. It is so much fun to get it into boost and up over 100mph that you just KNOW a ticket is on the way.

Rick

14. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills

what i meant was the weight of the car

15. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Wow that sounds great. My friend had a F40 which he tracked quite often, in fact this was the car that was on the Cover of Road & Track last year against the McLaren F1 and the Porsche 959. The only problem he had at the track were the brakes. Other than that the thing was a rocket. I was doing about a 100 MPH on Newport Coast in my 355 and he blew past me like I was standing still. It looked and sounded incredible.

Allan, thanks for the article.

16. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i thought the Countach was the only Lamborghini whose wing was actually a hindrance in speed...?

17. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I owned a 512BB abd F40 at the same time. About the same effort clutch wise and about the same ride...the F40 is not sprung hard. The steering was lighter in the F40 and i think ZSNNF's description of a "responsive 328" is a very accurate assessment of city driving with it. It's a great all rounder as far as I'm concerned. The brakes worked very well when cold, but the standard pads struggled after a few laps on a track, but I never got fade.

18. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason

GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

I hate anyone with an F40. Just kidding, I mean envy. I woulden't care if it took both feet to depress the clutch and both hands to shift it, I'd still drive the sh#t out of it......

19. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    No, they all hinder, although the Diablos is not as bad as the Countach.

20. bluekawala

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL

My bad. I have heard its bit on the hefty side... part of me says a prettier car then the F40. I guess its what part of the brain you wish to please. The F40 certainly looks aggerssive, where as the Diablo is more curvy. No doubt both near perfect cars though!

21. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    All wings are a hinderence at speed; if they weren't then they wouldn't be doing their job: downforce in the turns. The theory being what you lose in the straights are made up by faster turn speed. Unless the wing on the Lambo is there just for show, removing it would likely yeild much slower times on a track unless the straights were very long indeed.

Ken

22. SteveB

SteveB Karting

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Barker
    Allan, I realize that you own a Diablo but did you ever consider an F40? If not, why not?

Steve

23. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I have, but i like lamborghinis too much. Maybe 1 day.

24. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    F 40 is just bad to the bone, PERIOD !!!