Mercedes/McLaren to enter the "360-competitor" segment...Autoweek | FerrariChat

Mercedes/McLaren to enter the "360-competitor" segment...Autoweek

Discussion in '360/430' started by Mako99, Feb 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Add another car to the ever-growing $200k mid-engined two seater sweepstakes, except this one has 500HP coming from a 6.3L V-8 and wears the tri-pointed star.

Can't ever dismiss Gordon Murray, he's golden forever thanks to the F1.

Wonder if anyone at Ferrari really understands the unparalleled threat they're under each and every day from new competitors emerging from the ether...The rumored 500HP isn't going to be enough for their Modena replacement.

-------------------------------------

Sorry, I had to remove copyrighted material from Autoweek
    Mark

2. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    LOL@how those pics are of a p-shopped Gallardo :)

Sounds good, but only (hahah, only) 500hp from 6.3 liters isnt anything to be that proud of, no doubt it will go up in specification before it hits the streets. I dont really like the look of the renderings, but its not that bad. With Murray as head of design, it wont be anything but a winner, he wont let it be a porker.

3. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Yeah but the fine print says 516 ft/lbs of torque. Proud of it now?

Only honda boys tout displacement/hp ratios, everyone else doesn't give a rat's a$$ outside of mech engineers. I personally could care less if a sportscar has a 4L engine, or a 10L engine, as long as I get my 500HP+ and the weight is low. The rest is marketing.

Interesting that they mentioned a convertible version has already been greenlighted. Looks like they're farther along than this autoweek article implies.

4. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    6.3 liter V8 with 500 bhp ...7 speed transmission

..hmmm

It is true it will be able to rev up to 10.000 rpm..?

I don't why I don't find it very exciting with the Mercedes name on it helping McLaren on the car. (like the SLR)

If it was made only by McLaren with whatever engine people would freak out.

5. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Ugly as sin and off topic. Other than that though it would be quite a impressive car, beauty is only skin deep its whats inside that counts.(BHP,TQ,Lat G's etc etc...)

6. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    but its soooo ugly! what is it with fatty designs today!?!

7. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Yeah WAY off topic it being a direct competitor to Ferrari, and mentioning it by name in the piece...LOL settle down are you the new board policeman?

It does need to go hit the Atkins diet a bit though, otherwise it's OK. I've given up on being impressed by new supercar body designs, aside from the two latest Lambos I haven't liked much of anything in the past five years.

8. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Don't sell Ferrari short, first off the 360 has been around since 1999, when the Modena replacement shows it will have these wannabies covered.

9. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I'm too lazy to look up the numbers but the SLR isn't exactly a lightweight.

From this Autoweek story:

10. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Oh it's huge, make no mistake. Probably on the shy side of 3,750lbs, and that's WITH a ton of carbonfiber used in construction.

Murray has claimed that the SLR was adjusted by Mercedes' leadership mid-stream to target a slightly more luxury-sensitive demographic than what he had originally intended for the car, and because of that it gained weight fast.

11. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Heck, thats almost two tons of carbon fiber :D

12. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I just realised that it wasa 6.3L V-8. Thats a pretty beefy V-8 even by american standards. I believe the new C6 Z06 is smaller than that and will produce the same BHP.

13. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Actually GM vette guru Dave Hill has been rumored to have leaked recently that the Z06 will use a 6.4L version of the C6's V-8 to attain 500HP and 489ft/lbs of torque. That will be one hell of a track rat's car, particularly if they bring it's weight down to around 3,100lbs.

14. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Well then I stand corrected. But still I mean $200K for a car that has the same performance as a $60k car, same thing goes for Ferrari in that respect as well though. Im sure this car handles better than a Z06 could though. Or maybe not.

15. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    That value equation gets even better when you look at the resale prices for used C5 Z06s. You can pick on up for nearly half it's original price with just 15k miles on it, and go race the living hell out if it without a care in the world. Even if you ball it up, who cares, it was $35k!

The thought of a future used C6 Z06 for say $40k that runs circles around anything short of a Murci or Enzo is pretty darn amazing. That's the price of a single 360CS's engine, lol.

Was it Kennedy that used a chinese proverb that translated out to "May you live in interesting times"?

Well as sportscar fans, we are certainly living in interesting times. They get more interesting by the minute. :)

16. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    HAHA :D... I love Ferrari with a passion but being a vette owner it's true.

17. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    The Modena may be down ~100hp on the latest crop of cars but, in my opinion, none of them come close to matching the 360's looks. I would take the Ferrari over the Merc/Mc in this instance.

18. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    As would I. The 360 is beautiful.

19. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    The 360 is a step down in the looks department versus the F355. Even polls on F-chat indicate that the majority of forum members agree.

However, I do like the slight aero and wheel changes to the Stradale, they change the 360's demeanor greatly.

I would say this Benz and the base 360 are equal. Neither are as good looking as say a 288 GTO, a Murci, or a 355.

20. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    The Modena replacement will be out long before 2008 - stop stirring sh_t... If Ferrari is so inclined to participate in the torque/horsepower wars, they will... If not, they won't... i doubt it will impact their sales to a considerable degree if they don't...

The competition/marque-mud-slinging is getting ridiculous...

If someone goes out and buys a car mainly because it has higher numbers than any other current car, then they're number snobs... Just like people who go out and buy Ferraris just to be badge snobs... Like Mark said, the 360 looks so much better than Mercedes' proposed watered-down Gallardo, slated for 2008... That's 4 years away... Why are we worrying about it now...? Why are worrying it about it all...? Could it be, we're number snobs...? Hmmmmmmm...

21. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Ferrari will have things covered.........bring it on!!!

22. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Uh, don't shoot the messenger mr. sensitive. I'd just hate to goad you into an obscentity-laden rant that would get you banned off the site, and likely cause you to hang yourself...That wouldn't be good for anyone. :)

Besides, no one is casting a downward look on Ferrari just because Mercedes announced a new model. Unless you're eight years old, you understand that competition is a GOOD thing for Ferrari right? And with each passing day they're getting more and more of it.

I wish every major car company would produce a $200k supercar. Because my last name isn't Ferrari, so I don't make or lose a penny if they do well or lose their a$$es. But I do know that I like a lot of the cars they've made over the years, and if this prompts them to raise the bar then that's great for everyone.

23. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I would make the hood ornament bigger, I could not quite make out who the manufacturer was.

24. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LMAO...!!!

LOL, i knew i would have trouble living that down...

i never said that competition wasn't good, i merely stated that the current level seems to be getting ridiculous... Everyone is squeezing every bit of torque and horsepower out of every engine they make... It's getting nuts... What do you do in a car with 600 horsepower...? How is that beneficial on a daily basis...? Unless you're tracking it or somehow racing it or pulling off the heist/getaway of the century, it seems a little excessive... Everyone likes to go fast, but these numbers are climbing without rest and they seem to be the most important aspect of every car... Yes, competition is good... Maybe someone could try to compete with body styles; designs, all-around performance, luxury (for those so inclined) and whatever else... Not saying they should forget about torque and horsepower, but it seems like MOST companies putting out high performance sports cars have forgotten about everything else... Just my two USD cents (and those aren't worth a whole lot in this current market)

Where do you think Ferrari should raise the bar and why...?

25. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I like it!! But of course I love the SLR also. I think this car looks a bit like the baby Lambo but the rear has a bit of the Maser Merak in it aswell. Being built by Mclearn it should be quite the performer..But we'll have to wait and see. Nice to see a big engine in there though!! 6.3L geez were getting close to the 7.4L bad boys of the past!! Keep going!