My Custom 360 by Steffen (SM-Model-Art): BAD REVIEW!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My Custom 360 by Steffen (SM-Model-Art): BAD REVIEW!!

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by karmavore, Feb 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    WHAT A RIP OFF !

2. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Steffen,

If this model is the quality that people can expect from you, and based on your comments defending the work, it is, then be glad I posted these pictures becuse they have saved you many many more angry and disappointed customers. In my opinion, this was a make-or-break opportunity for you in the eyes of other collectors on this board and you blew it by making EXCUSES for a crummy product. Either:

a) you think this model is good, in which case now we know.

b) you agree that it is poor, in which case WHY DID YOU SHIP IT?? Was I not going to notice?

If you don't have the capacity or experience to paint models, then don't offer it as a service.

Also, the quality of the bumper is vastly different from that reflected on your web site. Don't try to fool customers. Either this one is bad or it is a true representation of your work. In either case, I have no way of knowing based on your site and your comments here today.

Now let's talk about that top!!

What the hell is that?? Some gauze that half-covers a resin top that looks like it shoud accompany Flintstones car??? There is noting attractive or symetrical about that window!! ..but the one on your website looks nice. What a joke!!

Luke.

3. Maximo_Tifoso

Maximo_Tifoso Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    Houston TX
    Over at the Scale18 boards, people rant and rave about Steffen's work(perhaps this is not the same person?). I'm hoping this one was a bad one-off. But I think the damage is already done.

4. jj2728

jj2728 Karting

Jan 19, 2004
    Ontario
    he should refund the full amount to you and then learn how to build and paint models....as i said before, there is no excuse for that....he is no professional that's for sure........

5. F355guy

F355guy Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Full Name:
    John P.
    Steffen,

Your response is dissapointing to me. I was hoping you would resolve the issue the correct way with Luke. I don't know what kind of stunt/excuse your trying to pull but I don't think anyone on the forum/thread is buying it.

Right now your cusomizing is worst than a hotwheels 1:64 scale . And if you don't refund or give some credit/money back to Luke (with a apology), then your worst than a bum.

6. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    You should be ashamed of yourself, Steffen. That model is complete garbage.

7. jaymeeh

jaymeeh Rookie

Dec 30, 2003
    Los Angeles
    What "good" aspects of the model are you talking about? The white Ferrari horse emblem on the grill?

It's a horrible looking customized model. My b/f (who is not a "professional" can customize a model with his eyes blindfolded that looks a million times better). Luke deserves a full refund and an apology.

------------------
    Luke,

Hopefully you will run into more professional sellers next time.

Regards, Jamie

8. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Steffen offers to sell customized models, sets the price, and ultimately delivers it to the customer. He must be accountable for any subcontracted work.

Along with Scott85, I have seen some of his work on the scale18 site, but never so closeup in hi res. This is utterly unacceptable. Pure garbage... even exceeded by the HW base model. Refund is due!

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The more i look at the pics , the more irritated i get. Its even worse that he tries to find some excuses . Make you wonder if he thinks his customers are stupid...

10. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    $200 is waaaaaay too much for that. its decent and could be fixed but 200 bucks? no way, i'd pay 50-60 MAX and fix it myself

11. zebra308

zebra308 Formula 3

Jan 14, 2004
    All Flimmits
    Full Name:
    Ruffis Leekin
    Just my 2 cents,
    IMHO, the car is extreemly rough for a professional job costing $200.00.
    After reviewing Steffen's website, I would have expected better also. Steffen if I were you, I'd offer to build another car, using another painter. This would allow you to showcase your talent and save your reputation. The cars posted on your site, seem to be of a better quality than what was sent.
    It's up to you.

12. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Thanks again for all the support guys. I didn't start this thread to bad mouth Steffen, but now that he has acted as he has I'm glad I did because it serves as a warning to future buyers. I doubt he'll try to make things right, but if he does I'll let you know right away ..that's only fair. I have a lot of respect for sales/crafts/men that aren't afraid to fix their mistakes, and if they make things right in the end I have no trouble useing them again. No one is perfect all the time!

Luke.

13. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Ummm... Oops... It looks like we're not talking about the same Steffen... ****... The Steffen i was referring to is from, i think, Scale Details... Damnit, i am so sorry for the confusion...

14. kescape

kescape Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    This point really pisses me off. Come on, do you think we are looking for a "toy", or a $200 "art"? Any people who spend $200 on a car is gonna look at it closely instead of playing it like a toy. The zoom 5X is actually what we can see when we look at the car closely in person. I think we should look at your wonderful work at least 10 feet away, so we can't see the white emblem.

What I angry the most: if you are not blind, you should be able to see all the flaws (especially the unforgettable white emblem) on the model b4 you send it out. How can you stand all the ugly ****s and send it to your customer??? How can you stand, and accept, the bad paint job from your painter???

I don't think you have the heart to be a true model builder.

15. stemuell

stemuell Rookie

Jan 15, 2004
    Hi for all,

first – thank you all for the very fine words.

Is it normal to send a bomb at board before talking to me – How it did luke?

„NNO“ – thanks for the rectification.

Now i have heard all your comments ... ( i ignore the fine words for my person) – and ok .. i have to react.

Now i search for a new painter! So 90% of the points are clarified in future.

The white horse – i have made a photo-acid cavallino rambante on the back .. like i say – i dont know where it is on the pics!

Now my Suggest for Luke.

Please send me the car back.
    I will send you a red or yellow one with a black softtop.

Also you will get your 50,- Dollar for painting and 30,- Dollar for shipping to me back.

I know no matter what i suggest i´m now the bad german boy :eek:)

Please look at my page to see my normal quality.

Regards steffen

16. Sarc

Sarc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    USA
    Not particularly. Maybe I'm overly particular, but his work is not that impressive. By all means get a refund and have the gentleman at
    www.italianhorses.net build your desired model. I'm sure you'll be pleased with those results.

Best of luck.

17. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Can you upload a picture(s) of the whole car with the top and without the top on so we can see what the "end result" is/was supposed to look like?

-brian

18. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Steffen, I recommend you invest in a can of chemical paint stripper, a small air compressor and paint the cars yourself. It really is not that difficult to paint. Youll cut down on your overhead and have better quality control. I also suggest you buy some jewelers files and clay modeling tools to refine your resin work.

You keep referring to a photo acid cavallino... do you mean a "photo-etched" horsey?

Most importantly, if it looks like ****, dont ship it off to the customer!

19. stemuell

stemuell Rookie

Jan 15, 2004
    for seeing the normal model - look at www.sm-model-art.de

if it is not too much work - luke - please post pics from the complete model.

also one time more - excuse for the work. i hope i can make it good and future model much better - so i have found a new painter.

(by the way, the interior was removed - but the door-covers was not possible - only with pressur violense and so it will broke)

20. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    I will post more pics this evening.

21. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    That quality doesn't look good at all. I too would be very dissapointed.

22. carl63_99

carl63_99 Karting

Oct 22, 2001
    I'm not a professional builder in the sense that I do it for a living, but I build all my models to look as real as possible. I judge model contests all over Texas, and we judges carry magnifying lenses to check details. Damage done, I don't see anyone buying from steffen here! I would ask a potential builder how many contests they've won before forking over $200 for a model.

As mentioned Alex Kustov builds and sells absolutely beautiful models that he builds Himself.

http://italianhorses.net/

Carl

Posted are examples of my award winning models. Tom Daniel (of 1970's Red Baron model fame) LOVED the rendition I did of his California Street Vette.

23. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I share the sentiment expressed here about the mediocre quality. However a couple remarks:

- It looks as if Steffen is coming clean and trying to make up for it. I'm sure Karmavore will keep us posted and we'll see what finally came about.

- I for one would still consider Steffen as a source for impossible to get models. His 250 Bertone looks very interesting to me. I'm first and foremost a collector and not a modeler's judge. Meaning I'm willing to put up with a non perfect model. I prefer having a mediocre model over not having one at all.

I've said it before: You can't compare a hand built model with one from e.g. Kyosho (that is not an excuse for a shoddy paint job though). I have bought models from other 'professionals' and they have flaws too. NNO mentioned the engine, that fell apart, well I got one model from a professional source that arrived in pieces because this stuff is glued together and then shipped. You have to be willing to accept certain things.

24. stemuell

stemuell Rookie

Jan 15, 2004

WOW - thnak you. now i know i must work on my quality if i want buy my models.
    i will make it much better - as i say - new painter. Luke will have a red one.

but teh seide-vents of teh imolafront is not much more better. i´m searching the best for luke. if my resin-man make new for me i will make a perfekt for luke. i hope it dont will need much time.

to the bertone - this car will be in quality like MDS. also now remake the 512S.

best regards steffen

25. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Steffen,

Serious question: it sounds like you have people that build most of the model for you -- "resin man" and "painter." What do you do?

Luke.