Buffalo Grove Indoor Karting in March | FerrariChat

Buffalo Grove Indoor Karting in March

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by tifosi12, Feb 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'd like to setup an indoor kart event for the last weekend of March (3/27 or 3/28). It will be held at the new facility in Buffalo Grove:

http://www.chicagoindoorracing.com

Who is interested? Any particular day or time?

Depending on how many people we'll get we could block the track for us. Otherwise we'll just go there as regular customers. They have a bar and restaurant, so I'd like to make this an afternoonish event if possible.

2. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    I'm interested.

3. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
  4. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I'll do it, but on 3/28 they're having an Enduro. If you want, I can call and get more info--they were still taking team applications not too long ago.

5. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I'm interested.

Andreas, maybe on a weekday we could get a good slot time, and possibly better pricing.

Oops, I just remembered a lot of people work, so maybe that's not feasible. Of course if we did do it on a weekday afternoon, you workers could call in sick. :)

6. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I'd be in on the 27th... afternoon or evening.
    the 28th is the Shamrock Shuffle for all you runners out there!
    I've heard this place is great!

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Sounds like we're targeting for the 27th then.

Maybe we can get a crowd of 10 together. Any ideas on whether or how we should do a competition? Or should we just do our laps? Nah, there has to be some time run, right? Suggestions?

I know Mr. Frank will come up with a nice trophy, hehe.

Jack, if you want to call the place and find out some more, that'd be great.

Also I wonder what the parking lot will look like that day. There will be at least one (winged) 308...

8. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Andreas, I called out there but the event coordinators don't work on the weekends. Whatever. Anyway, I left a message and asked her to contact me. I also emailed them. For those who haven't checked out their site, here are the basics:

Racing license: $10 Monthly
    $25 Annual

Standard Rates: $25/person/race, each race is either 20 or 25 laps
    depending on which of the two tracks. Each additional race is $10, but not on Saturdays.

She quoted me the rental rate last fall, but I don't remember how much. I'm thinking it was around $1000/hour. With the hourly rate, you can bring as many people as you like, but the max number of carts on track is 10, I believe. I've got some friends who I know will come, and you can get a lot of track time in an hour. We'll see what they say this week.

As far as what I drive out there, so long as Mother Nature doesn't have any late surprises for us, I'll definitely drive my baby!

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks Jack.

Sounds like the hour rent is a bit high unless we suddenly double the number of people. I'd like to make this an annual event, so maybe we can aim for that next year.

Sounds like we should have two races and the mode could be F1 GP points per race and the one with the most points after two races wins the cup. If other folks mix in, that wouldn't matter.

Are the times taken by any chance? Just thinking what kind of tie breaker we would need. Maybe a third race if we have two drivers with equal points?

Let us know, what else you find out and how many of your buddies would join us. I think this could turn out great and if we get hooked, we could have a follow up event in the summer on an outdoor track. Hmm...

10. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    Hey, I would be interested.

Keep posting info.

11. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I've got a friend that is really into racing his Porsche, has been trying to get something like this together for me and my partners... I will see if others would be interested.

Is there a maximun number of people?

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    No maximum really.

Let's see how many we can get, maybe we will go for the $ 1,000 for an hour after all.

13. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Does $1K give you as many karts as you need (say for 20 people??), or is there a limit?

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Jack mentions a maximum of 10 karts on the track.

Jack, do we know how long a race lasts in elapsed time?

15. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    As far as the number of karts, since only 10 are on the track at once, they usually have 10 more in pitlane, so the next group is seated and ready to drive when the first group is finished. When you rent out the track, you can run things any way you choose. A bunch of short races, fewer medium-length, or an hour-long enduro if you wish. Generally, the races last about 10 minutes or so. I guess that would mean 5-6 races/hour, or $1250-$1500/hour if you paid race by race. The idea I'm going to present to them is to host an Enduro for charity. Teams will get pledges per lap for the charity. The only issue is how much the track will be willing to contribute. It will be some phenomenal PR for them if they agree to it.

Anyway, the $1000 IS a lot to pay unless you've only got 10 guys planning on doing a ton of driving. Otherwise it doesn't really make sense since you spend more time watching.

Andreas, to answer your question about timing, all the karts are equipped with timing equipment, so everything is recorded! Also, I don't know how many of you have driven at a place like this, but the managers take it pretty seriously. They won't let you drive if you've been drinking, and they have a penalty box where they send you for rough driving. Usually, it's a 3-strikes and you're out policy. They highly encourage tipping a few in their lounge, but only after you're done racing.

16. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Trophy's....Covered!!! :) Just let me know what kind,and how many,and what you want written on them,etc....Just need a week or two advance.(depends on how many)

Can kids ride along on a Non Competitive Lap or Two? I won't be able to Drive one yet,But,Lil' Frankie would LOVE to go around a few laps,if it's cool. But,if not. Thats O.K.,too. We have an Outdoor GoKart track right on RT.83 in Oakbrook Terrace,(less than a mile away) that will open in Spring. But,must be at least 10 to drive one. But,2 people can fit on one,if desired. Probably,not as near as fast as these Indoor Karts sound like they'd be,though. But,still Fun.:) They are Only a couple bucks for ,I think,10 laps or so. They have GT style bodies on them.

17. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    These guys require you to be 18+.

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Jack, how is the grid for a race formed? Just random I suppose?

With all the timing information available figuring out some points system/classification will be easy. And with 10 minutes per race we should be able to run several races.

Can you elaborate a bit more on your charity idea?

19. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    We can draw straws for the first race, then grid up according to results after that--in order or in reverse. Basically the charity idea would be like any other fundraiser ______-athon. Put together teams of 2 or 3 drivers, depending on how long we can race. Drivers will collect pledges for donation by the lap (.10 a lap x 200 laps= $20 suppose) or just a flat donation. It could be for Cancer, Diabetes or any charity with someone may have a connection. Ideally you get the track to donate the karting in exchange for the write-off and a nice chunk of publicity. We'll see what they say.

20. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Well,I'm all for doing anything that will help sick kids. They get pretty scared when they are sick,and don't understand why. FCA helps out Childrens Memorial Hospital. Windy City Corvettes helps out Children who were born with Spina Bifida. I'm sure that there are alot of posibilities. We'll have to all get together and discuss it sometime.

21. dsweet

dsweet Rookie

Feb 23, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Great idea, Andreas! I just drove past there on Saturday but didn't have time to go inside and check it out. I did this back in VA with my old car club a few years ago and we had a great time - and the rates were triple what they are here.

http://amcc-dc.org/karting0201

Count me in!

Dave

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Welcome to the board, Dave!

Looking forward to see you at the kart track. It will be interesting as we seem to have drivers with and without previous experience.

23. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Andreas,

I went to the opening house of this place. It is simply geared for corporate events as it has many board rooms and meeting areas as it does racing areas. It is very professional: certain ages, high priced, drivers wear overalls, neck brace, helmets, it has computer controlled timing, and driving monitors ready to flash you with warning signs if you bump accidentally. The age limit and pricing discourages teen punks from showing up and running people off the track. I think if we have enough people show up on a weekday night, why bother renting the place out? We can overflow one of the two tracks with our Ferrari guys in case they have a decent public turn out that night, ( I stopped by on one weekday to see if my girlfriend wanted to try it and it was completely empty. ) It has a wonderful viewing area that is parked up against a bar and little eatery.
    Count me in if its on a weekday, it will be nice to meet you guys.

RocketBoy

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    No punks? Sheesh, sounds like I will have to behave.

I remember all the times I was thrown out of go kart places for wreckless driving...
    :(

25. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Hey Andreas,

Count me in too, sorry for the delay, had to check the schedule and the boss for clearance...

I remember an outdoor gokart track that we use to cause havoc in also, bumping into people, cutting them off on turns, etc...etc... I also remember myself running off the track and hitting the fence, ouch..... :)

Guess we have to behave at this place??? Thats ok, we'll save the other fun for Gingerman raceway in may when we can drive the Ferraris.... :)

Tod