Alternatives to a Linksys Wireless Router? | FerrariChat

Alternatives to a Linksys Wireless Router?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by SefacHotRodder, Feb 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I am so sick of this thing. it cuts out every hour meaning i have to unplug it and plug it back into the power causing any info downloading on any of the 3 computers in my house to get lost. I called them..."plug it into the usb and see if it works. if that doesn't do it, i don't know". I need a new router and it needs to work on the linksys wireless pci cards in the other 2 computers (my computer is directly wired to the router). Its wireless B.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Chris

2. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    I've had the same problem before. Try upgrading the firmware.

Good luck

3. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i did. i've tried everything. and now my dads wireless connection doesn;t work

4. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Have you tried any of the netgear stuff? I think you can pick up a B router for $40 now. I have two of the same ones (range is good with just one, but some spots aren't getting reception, hence the second) using them only as access points with mac address filtering behind the firewall for the house.

A friend's Dell was having issues with cutting in and out every hour or so. Firmware update to these things solved that (or so we think). One Powerbook ahs issues, everything else seems to be working fine. We've got a mix of Lucent, sony (built-in, don't know who made wireless), no-name stuff, netgear, linksys, apple (again, don't know who did oem), and ibm (oem?) cards / laptops all of which seem to work fine, exceptions above.

I will say this, there is pretty limited documentation on these things. Dont' expect a manual or online support to any great degree.

--Dan

5. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    I have all D-link stuff. It's been great ..until my router suddenly died the other day ????

6. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    this is the correct answer.

secondly... if you say it is cutting out on you, what are you doing? perhaps a lot of torrenting which floods incoming & outgoing? or just nothing at all? maybe you should check and see just how many neighbors are leeching onto your wireless hub.

7. triXXXter

triXXXter Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Ft. Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Steven G. Ogden
    That is very ture on the neighbors leeching thing. I have Microsoft's and it works good. Not as many hooked up as u but good stuff.

8. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    thanks guys. my dads still isn't fixed. it seems the windows defaults are that his computer won't connect to an unsafe network (needs WEP key). So i give the network a key and it still doesn't work. It connects to the router (signal strength good etc) but the internet doesn't work. Anyone know what i am talking about?

Thanks

Chris

9. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Sounds a bit off-topic for the general section, but I have the exact same problem with my Linksys router, FW upgrades did not resolve the problem, their tech support does not even bother returning emails, and their live chat thing is a joke: you queue 1 hour and if you don't respond within 10 secs, you're kicked out.

To diagnose your problem, you have to narrow down the root causes.

Try a wired connection from the router's 4 ethernet port: still works or not ?
    Are other PCs in the same LAN connecting or not ?
    Open an MS-DOS prompt, type IPCONFIG and determine if your PC is getting an IP address in the 192.168.1.1XX range as set-up on the router's DHCP.
    If you get a 169.X.X.X address, this is the default HW address of the network adapter. Try IPCONFIG /RELEASE then IPCONFIG /RENEW.

I recently ran into a problem on a W2K PC where the IP layer got corrupted, could not be uninstalled, could not be fixed/repaired, the only solution ended up being reinstalling Windows 2000 ...

10. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    A few years ago I'd be the last person who'd say the following, but ya gotta believe me here:

Get a Microsoft router. The one I discovered is the MN-700, around $60 (after rebates and such) at Best Buy, CompUSA, etc. It supports 802.11g (54Mbs), and is just a pleasure to configure and use.

One of the companies I run is an IT consulting firm, and we install hundreds of these setups for customers every year. I got SO fed up with the utter crap that is the Linksys wireless router (same problems -- stopped working randomly, WEP would cause signal degredation, etc.) that I decided to change all new installations over to the Microsoft router.

Not only have I yet to see a problem, but I noticed on my own setup that web pages now load significantly faster and with less latency than my old Linksys.

http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?view=22&pcid=13194ee9-f7e7-4785-9cbf-f5ed24e8eff4&type=ovr

nlh

11. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    thanks noah

shark, i've done all that :(

12. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    anyone wanna buy this router off me? :D

13. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    This is going to sound like a really dumb question, but have you reset it?

Simply pressing the reset button won't reset it completely. While powered up, unplug everything else, hold it in for 30 seconds. If that doesn't do it, COMPLETELY unplug the router. Let it sit for a minute. While unplugged, press the reset button for a full minute. Then plug it in again. Believe me, this has helped me resolve sooooo many linksys router problems that I can't even begin to count them. I now to a hard reset before even beginning to install any linksys router.

In terms of options, Netgears are pretty good. I'm currently building my own Router/Firewall/Security Station from a dual-P3 server I have sitting around. Linux + SNAT/DNAT + Custom Firewall Ruleset + Intrusion Detection System = a lot more secure/customizable than its off the shelf counterpart. If you're into computers, have an extra computer lying around, and are interested in this route, drop me a PM... I could point you in the right direction.

14. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    yep, i have hard reset it. We are getting the guy who installed it and sold it to us in to look at it (just so he can see that it doesn't work) and then ask for a refund and go for the microsoft. I wish he had put in wireless G instead of B in the other 2 computers.

15. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    So other than the fact it no longer works, it's great. :)

16. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris