360 Warranty Issue | FerrariChat

360 Warranty Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jmillard308, Feb 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Here's the problem -
    A 360F1 owner here in Australia has what he believes to be a warranty claim - the clutch has expired after 5000Km. The car is 2 months short of the expiration of the warranty period. He bought it new. The local dealer supports the claim but the importer and/or Ferrari will only go part way to fixing it, as it is 64% worn. They maintain that he hasn't driven it hard enough which has caused hot spots on the clutch face and contributed to the problem (?). They propose (insist) he pay 40% of the cost of replacement.
    The money itself is not an issue with this guy, he just believes that a 5000K clutch is not good enough for a car of this price/quality and would probably think it was fair enough if he had given it a thorough caning.
    Would love to get some feedback on the the likely result in other countries -
    Is this a normal response from dealer/importer/Ferrari?
    Have other owners experienced the same problem re premature wear?
    Appreciate your comments
    John

2. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    John,

A simple call from a lawyer should solve his problem. It is under warranty and with very few miles. Period. Am sure the publicity a true court battle would attract is not something F Au would desire. If he knows a journalist for a newspaper, also have them call F Au for all the details/questions. The "court" of public opinion is quite strong :)

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

PS: Plus with such low milage and the clutch already needing replacement would further add salt to the F Au wound in the public's eye.

3. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Personally, I'd be glad they offer 60%.

The clutch can be abused to death in zero km if desired, so 5000km is a fair km for a "city" car.

The actual outlay is what needs to be discussed. Parts are around $3000 for a clutch kit, extra for release bearing if needed, extra again if starter ring gear up grade is needed. Labour is about 10 hours real world. Ferrari say less buts it's rarely possible. Rarely, but sometimes.

Hope he doesn't get ripped off.

4. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I have no experience with this on F-cars.......but I am surprised that they would have offered to pay for anything on a "friction" part.

Porsche never would have in my years with them.

5. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I would pay the 40% if I could get a letter from Ferrari stating the car needed to be driven harder. Hopefully the letter is suitable for framing.

6. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    i had a similar issue on a 5 series BMW and had to pay the lot! Reason given, the clutch is an item the driver wears down, like tyres, and cannot be subject to same warrenty as other parts of the car -- hmmmm

7. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

He would have to pay...

Yes, i know you don't like to hear it but it is a wear item.

Kinda like windshield wipers,tires, and brake pads.

He is very lucky they will give him the % off of the price.
    Automobile manufacturers are doing this all the time now, just to keep people happy. Think of what would happen if they didn't even want to give yo anything??

As for bringing in a lawyer, obviously you would be trying to seek out another repair shop or manufaturer after the lawsuit do to the fact that you will probably not get better service after.

8. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    He's fortunate that F offered to pay any part for clutch replacement at any mileage.Many cases here in U.S. that FNA refused to pay any part.

9. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    How did it fail? Did the disc fall apart? Surely after only 5000km the pressure plate and throw-out bearing should still be fine. We're just talking about a disc replacement here, right?

-Wayne

10. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    One problem with the F1 style transmissions is that I've seen people drive them like automatics. They'll creeeeeeeep forwards at a light or in a traffic jam, not realizing that they're slipping the hell out of the clutch. Bye bye clutch.

11. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Good point - I had forgotten that this is not a "normal" clutch design...

-Wayne