VIN Verification in New York State?? | FerrariChat

VIN Verification in New York State??

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by ghost, Feb 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Does anybody know if NYS has a VIN Verification requirement. My car is coming from out of state, and I'd like to get a sense of whether I need to go through this procedure prior to registering the car. For those that may not know, certain states require that before an application for a title and/or registration can be accepted for a vehicle that has been titled in another jurisdiction, the vehicle and the out-of-state title or ownership document must be inspected to ensure that the vehicle identification number shown on the foreign title is genuine and agrees with the identification number on the vehicle. I will also check with the NYS DMV, but would be interested in any member input.

If NYS does require this, can anybody suggest where this can be done somewhere near NYC (as opposed to in the city).

Thanks.

2. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i'm not quite sure what you are trying to say.

Do you just need a vin confirmed?

3. Rasputin

Rasputin Karting

Nov 25, 2003
    Miami - NY
    There are services almost any insurance broker can and most do it, as long as you have all the proper forms and original title with a bill of sale that's all you need to get the car registered in NYS

4. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    No. Let me try to rephrase: in some states, if you purchase a car that is registered in another state with the intent of bringing it home and registering it in your state, you apparently may need to first get a VIN Verification done. This is where you drive the car to either a DMV or a police station, and get the somebody to physically check the VIN shown on the title conforms with the VIN on the vehicle. They then give you a written confirmation that the VIN is the same, which you need to show prior to registering the vehicle. I believe the idea behind this is to prevent any hanky-panky from happening in inter-state sales.

Therefore, my original question was:

(1) Does NY state have this requirement; and
    (2) If so, does anybody know of a relatively non-conspicuos place near the city I can take my F-Car to get this done.

Rasputin's comments seemed to suggest that this is not needed in NY state, and that you only need the correct sale and title forms. I will try to confirm this with the DMV over the next couple of days.

5. Rasputin

Rasputin Karting

Nov 25, 2003
    Miami - NY
    Did you just purchased the car in an other state or you have the car and its redistered in your name in the other state?
    1. If you purchase the car all you need is the title that was signed over to you along with a bil of sale, since NYS will want to take the tax.
    2. If you own the car and planing to reredister the car in NYS, all you have to do is go to any DMV and get the forms that you need to fill out and submit your title with them.
    Hope this helps

6. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I purchased the car in another state. I know for registration and tax purposes that I need the title and Bill of Sale, but are you sure that I don't need a VIN Verfication statement to accompany these documents?

7. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i see what you mean. sorry, i don't know.

8. Rasputin

Rasputin Karting

Nov 25, 2003
    Miami - NY
    Yes I am sure, I bought a car in FL and had no problems registering at all

9. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Terrific. Thank you. This is what I needed to know.

10. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    Go to www.nysdmv.com and you can get all the forms and info you need.

11. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Thanks for the link Ed. I have actually browsed the link already, and was pleasantly surprised to find how comprehensive and easy it was to navigate. The only thing was that the NYS DMV didn't specifically mention the VIN Verification process for out of state purchases, and so I just wanted to cross check with members here on the forum. I didn't want to land up at the DMV and not be able to register the vehicle because I didn't get the VIN Verification. I should have realized that since they didn't mention it, it probably isn't relevant in NY state. Now we know. :)

Regards.

12. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Rasputin,

Was reviewing the registration information posted on the NYS DMV site, and came across this text:

"If you did not get the vehicle from a NYS automobile dealer, you receive an inspection extension sticker. The sticker allows you 10 days from the registration date to get the vehicle inspected in NYS. Any NYS or out-of-state inspection issued to the previous registrant is not valid after the vehicle is registered to you. You must have the vehicle inspected."

Yikes!! Sounds like a VIN Verification to me. Anybody know what this is in reference to?? Andybody have experience with this??

13. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Ghost, I disagree on the intrepretation of the state website. They are merely saying you must have the car inspected (safety and emissions wise) within 10 days of your registering it. Though I didnt go look at the site myself, nothing in the text you copied suggested a VIN verification. I can tell you I had no trouble when I bought a car frm VA and registered it in NJ.

14. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Thanks Greg. Good to know that your experiences all bear out the fact that a VIN Verification is not needed. I had not reason to dispute Rasputin either, especially since he's been through the process; I was just surprised to find language on the side that suggested some sort of inspection needs to be done -- something I wasn't aware of. As you note, the "inspection" would suggest a reference to safety/emissions test as opposed to a VIN Verification.

I understand from you post that you didn't get a VIN Verification, but curious to know if you went through a safety/emissions test within 10 days of registering your vehicle. If so, could you elaborate on the best way to do so. Again, I wasn't aware that you needed to do this.

15. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Guys,

Got the car registered today. Sorry to beat a dead-horse, but the DMV representative repeated the same mantra as was on the website, that I have 10 days to get my car “inspected.” He wasn’t very articulate about what the inspection entailed, but said it was a “standard emissions” check, and that all NYS auto mechanics would be able to perform it. I thought I could pop over to NJ when I got the car, and get the inspection done by Classic Coach or somebody of equivalent reputation, but the DMV rep said it had to be done by a NY state mechanic. I assume this is a quick “in and out” job, but can somebody provide any additional specifics on what specifically gets done, and more importantly, which NY state mechanic I should take it to? WWoC is one option, but they’re over an hour away. Does anybody know if Precision Auto Body does this?

Thanks much.

16. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Bueller? Bueller?

17. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    . I can tell you I had no trouble when I bought a car frm VA and registered it in NJ.

I bought my car in Colorado and registered it in NJ. I still remember having to
    cough up another $6000 to NJ DMV after spending a fortune for the car. Ouch.

18. papaleo1

papaleo1 Karting

Jun 9, 2002
    Papaleo
    Full Name:
    Louis
    Benedict, that $6K included the sales tax. Someone has to keep the governor happy!

Ghost - there is no VIN verification in NY. Only a safety and emissions test. It is not a big deal as long as the car has no issues. There are hundreds of service stations that can do them in NY, but find one that is reputable as the car is chained to a dyno and brought up to 60 mph to test emissions.

In CT the car must first be brought to a full service DMV office or a former state emissions location (like Darien) and an inspector matches the VIN to the docs. He gives you a form stating it is accurate, and you are off to the DMV office
    for the plates, sales tax, etc. The new CT law is similar to NY as the cars have to be run on a dyno for emissions test. They just instituted this program in the last few months.

My 355b needs to have an emissions test and I found out that if there is a clearance issue for the dyno, they will probably just do a static test. When the weather breaks I will have it done.

Good luck with the new 355.

19. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Thanks Louis! You're absolutely right. Fortunately others were able to offer the same advice as you in that VIN Verification is not required in NY State, and therefore the overally registration process went very smoothly when I registered the car last week (except for the wallet feeling a lot lighter, of course). My only question at this point really speaks to your second thought, which is to find a reputable mechanic shop that will do the safety and emissions tests. As indicated, I wanted to do it from Classic Coach in NJ, but the DMV rep said it must be done by a NY registered shop.

If anybody knows a reputable NY registered shop near the City, please let me know. I'm gonna challenge the DMV on this one, and give Classic Coach a call to see if they can do it.

She's coming in tomorrow -- Yipee!!

Thanks.

20. Quasimotor

Quasimotor Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    Here's a tip that's probably too late. If you register your car in NYS OUTSIDE the NY metro area (that is noth of Westchester County), you will not get the following imprint on your registration "NYMETRO." If you have that, it means you have to have your emissions checked. If not, it's a simple once over look-see and brake test (does the brake stop the car?).

With the emissions test, it's very strict (the state even videotapes the event) and you cannot be running test pipes or euro exhausts.

I got my euro 308 registered upstate and I drive up to Mahopac to get it inspected. They guys there were so flabbergasted to see an F-car that the missed my cracked turn signal light and non-effective parking brake.

You don't have to worry about whether the garage is reputable. They don't dyno the car in NY and except for the emissions test and sitting in the car to test the brakes, it's over in 10 minutes and you can stand there the whole time (I did.).

Regarding VIN verification, the DMV will check your vin on a computer. It most often comes up and you don't need anything more than the BOS. However, my euro vin was NOT in the computer, so I had to go back to the car (50 mile drive) and get a pencil impression. This is like the blokes do in England when they make gravestone rubbings, rubbing a pencil on paper pressed to the engraved vin plate. Do this ahead of time and save the trouble.

21. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Thanks George. Great story! Unfortunately I registered the car in the city, so it's too late for avoiding the emissions requirement. I'm not actually that concerned about the results since the car has no mods and has been fully and completely serviced. I'm more concerned about the overall test process and the thought of some Yahoo jumping into my car and slamming on the gas. However, I've had this done once before with my NSX and the shop that I took it to were very gentle with it, so I assume (hope) I will get the same treatment this time around. Great to know that they don't dyno the car, as I was under the impression that this was part of the overall test!! Will let you know how things transpire. Thanks for the post.

Great Avatar pic BTW! :D

22. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Answered my own question with a little digging (which I should have before, BTW). The NYS DMV has a full list of inspection centers within Manhattan that are certified to provide emissions inspections. Here is the link to the the DMV site. This has links to all inspections centers in the 5 boroughs. Hopefully, this is beneficial to all that have to get their vehicles inspected.

Off to get my car inspected!

23. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I'm taking mine to Brownfeld Auto located at 298 11th Avenue. The manager verified that they have the ability to emission/dyno check Ferraris (and yes, the car does need to be dynoed). Let me know if anybody has heard anything good/bad about them.

24. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    So .... I've been waiting to hear how it all turned out? (We are digging up old threads today aren't we?) :)

25. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I'll tell you the answer when you come out with us on our next run. Can you wait till 2006?