355 battery help | FerrariChat

355 battery help

Discussion in '348/355' started by Teenferrarifan, Feb 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Today we took the 355 out, and everything went well great time :). Except for one thing. First we had to jump the battery because the battery tender wasn't charging the battery so it was dead, and yes it was connected. So, we jumped it and the car ran fine till we turned it off and it wouldn't turn over. So, we had to jump it again. We think the problem is the battery as it has been sitting for a few month rarely driven, and the alternator only has 8k on it. That and the fact that the tender couldn't put ANY power into the battery. I know the battery is located in the front passanger side wheel well correct near the battery kill switch? How would one go about getting the battery out and what is the proper replacement? Any help would be appreciated.
    Erik

2. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Good question, I went to use my 355 spider today for the first time in 2 months and had the same problem. Put the battery charger on and hopefully the battery will still hold a charge. If you replace the battery, please post the replacement model you use. Also, does unhooking the battery mess up the top memory?

3. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Jeff we had the battery switch turned off while it was stored no problems once we fired it back up, but I think the battery on our car is just shot. From sitting lack of use, and also the extreme cold we had this winter. When it is below zero on the other side of the door it is not easy to keep the car warm or at constant temp with garage doors going up all day long. Anyone help?
    Erik

4. RichardGilmore

RichardGilmore Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Richard Gilmore
    You should not jump a 355. Always trickle charge. You could fry the brainbox and the alternator. To get to the battery, jack up the right front side and remove the rt front wheel. It is behind the panel you will see. I always turn the kill switch if I won't be driving for a few days. Also, let the car idle for 10 minutes after the battery goes dead or you switch off the system to reset the ECU

5. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Thanks Richard!!! Very helpful do you know what model and kind of battery to use? Also, we tried to trickle charge it first and the battery wasn't taking the charge so we jumped it using a commercial jump cart. At least we didn't try and pop start it :)
    Erik