HELP!!! RE:Malcolm Konner corvette? 1986. | FerrariChat

HELP!!! RE:Malcolm Konner corvette? 1986.

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by thecarreaper, Feb 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    ok i got my hands on a silver over black 1986 corvette from a friend at work who needed money. i sold my 76 4 speed corvette thursaday night and i kept the " corvette black book" to learn something about these cars. it says that only 50 of these special editions were made, 30 with automatics like mine, the rest were 4 speeds. all i know is that this thing is WAY FAST!!! i can get window stickers for old trans ams, is there a way to get one for this vette to be sure its a special edition????? i dont plan on keeping the car so any help would be great as i want a euro carb 308. the vin is 1G1YY078XGS106792. thanks guys , i will be on and off all day checking this thread. none of my friends are into cars, i will do some "google" searching and see if i get anything!!! thank you, michael.

2. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    I googled it and came up with essentially nothing.

The guy was a NJ Chevy dealer who pasted away in 1983. At the time he was the largest Corvette dealer in the world. His dealership is now a Dodge dealership that still bares his name.

They said nothing of them being tuned differently, though Reeve Callaway had a twin turbo one.

There were pictures of the car that look exactly as you described. They look just like my next door neighbor's Corvette.

Keep me informed.

3. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i contacted the head of a local vette club and told him what ( i think ) i have...... he dropped the phone!!!!!! there is a way to order a window sticker so thats what i may have to do. i doubt the car is worth much , but its " different" so i may get a few $$$ more over a plain C4 . some of the options i have decoded: z51 performance package, fg3 performance packege, fe7 high performance suspension package, graphite colored powered leather sport seats aq9, b4z special option group???RPO 4001za is the " special " RPO, kind of like a "COPO" camaro or trans am. in english that is a " corrperate office production order" they are big big $$$$$$$$. the darn car is fast, too fast . i have had several IROC'S ect with this TPI motor and they were not this fast! ill post a pic of the car for giggles. i hope all understand how much i want a carb euro 308 gtb , as i have sold everything else i have ( almost)!

4. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
  5. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    The car is very rare and can be worth a lot of money to the right vette enthusiast.

It's not a gold mine but it'll go for a lot more then the plain old crappy 86's that fetch well under 8,000 these days.

6. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I had a new Red 86 in College, it nearly killed me to work and make the payments on the car. Luckily my parents took care of the Insurance but I remember having adds for the Malcom Konner Special Edition 86 Vette in Vette Magazine of that time.

7. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    thanks for the posts, the funny thing is i really only bought the darn car to help out a friend, he and his wife kept asking me if i wanted it as they did not/could not wait on a reply froma classified ad. i have let some nice cars go in order to get a ferrari. its the logistics of taking care of and insuring so many cars thats a problem. i bought the vette thinking i could play with it for some time and get rid on it,i had no clue it may ( MAY ) be speacial. i am still not convinced this is a MK car. i wont know until i get the vin / window sticker verified. i will keep my fingers crossed. i was hoping some of the car collectors/ vette owners here would know a way to tell .i know camaros and trans ams. .... getting to know ferrraris!!!!!!!!

8. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I have owned 4 Corvettes in the past.....ranging from a perfect resto '63 split-window coupe to a very hot '91 ZR-1.....great cars for the money. But if my memory serves, the MC edition car had a different nose and rear fascia than a normal vette. I think the rear end had a sorta ducktail shaped spoiler shaped into the fascia, and the front end a more aerodynamic nose. It seems like they only came in a light bronze color. I could be wrong as it's been many years since I had a plastic-fantastic car. I'll do some digging and see what I can find.

9. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Very rare indeed.I've never even seen a picture of one before.Here's a pic I found a digitalcorvettes.com

[​IMG]

10. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    thank you! thank you!!!! i have had little luck, even on the web. my cell phone has been ringing its guts out with calls from the guys in the vette club. everyone want to buy the damn thing but wont tell me what its worth. i am going to title it in my name monday and insure it with Hagarty. i got back one of my old bandit trans ams and had it delivered late last night. between it and the vette i have plenty of work and cleaning to do!!!!!!! thanks for posting that pic for me. michael

11. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    OOoooopppssss!!

My mistake earlier....I was thinking of the Rick Mears special edition Corvette...I'm sorry. They have made so many different special packages for Corvettes over the years, and I guess I got my wires crossed.

Congrats to thecarereaper you have a great find there!

12. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Didnt they glue the build sheet to the topside of the gas tank and also put one rolled up in one of the suspension arms somewhere on the car?? If you can find one you can see if it was the optioin code for the special edition.

13. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Carreaper please dont take offense, but I honestly dont see anything unique about that car aside from a two tone paint job and a vinyl graphic on the windshield. Maybe some special embroidery inside too.

Malcolm Konner Chevrolet was a large dealer on Rt 17 in Paramus NJ. The entire 2nd floor was devoted to Vettes. My Dad used to take me to see some of Malcolm's own cars that he wld display in the showroom. I believe he self-proclaimed his store the largest dealer in the country. I havent driven thru this area in several years, so I dont know if it still stands today after his passing.

So many times Ive seen random dealers squirt paint and stickers on a car and call it a rare special edition - really makes me laugh. I apologize it that isnt the case with your car. I will gladly accept the correction.

14. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    thanks for the reply GREGg, all replies and opinions are welcome. i am not into vettes, so i know very little about them. check the top of the thread and see some of the " special options" the car has. even for a stock C4 the low price i paid versus the fun factor i think makes up for it bieng a common car. i applied for a window sticker ( for $70.00 freaking bucks!!) to verify if it is for sure a MK edition. i am not sure that it is ...... but it sure has some super options. my bandit trans am is most likely worth more than the vette, but both are fun and thats all that matters!!! i find the lack of info on the car on the net very strange! whenmonday rolls around more places will be open that i can call and check with. if anyone knows where to find the !@#$ buildsheet let me know!! michael

15. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    There is a copy of the build sheet in the frame member under the engine I think. I don't remember which side, but I think it's towards the driver's side. If you use a flash light and really poke around you should see a piece of rolled up paper in there. You may ruin it trying to fish it out of there though. You may also have to remove the front wheel to get a good look. But there is a copy of the build sheet in either the cross frame under the engine or the longitudinal frame. I apologize for my faulty memory. But I did get the paper out of there on my old ZR-1.

16. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I have always been a fan of the C4 and the MK cars themselves. I did see one in person at carlisle, PA a few years back. The car should be two-tone which yours is not all gold. Also you are right in they only made 50 of them. GM made the cars as a tribute to MK after he died. The cars came out a year or two later. MK had like the oldest chevy dealership or something like that. I have never seen one for sale and besides the paint they were just a regular 86 vette. Also, my uncle had a repro window sticker printed up from the corvette museum for his 91 ZR-1 I don't know who you are getting yours from but it was over $50. But, it looks just like the original you can't tell it was a repro and even has the dealership the car was shipped to new. Please post more pics, and that is one awesome car. I believe this was also the only time GM every made a limited edition car for one person. But I could be wrong there. If there is anything else I can do just let me know.
    Erik

17. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Also the other cars were not 4 speed they had the 4+3 doug Nash transmission. :)
    Erik

18. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Some more information for you The MK option was $500 in 1986. MK's dealership was in NJ, and http://www.corvettes-for-sale.com/specs/86.htm offers a little more info. If you are going to sell the car let me know. I doubt it is in my range, but that is one awesome ride.
    Erik

19. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    What a horribly unreliable thing it was as well.I've yet to drive one but it seems that electronic overdrive was the big problem there.The 89+ ZF 6-speed seems to be fairly reliable.Imagine a german transmission in a american icon.Go figure.

20. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #20 Teenferrarifan, Feb 22, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    "In 1986, as a tribute to Malcolm Konner's dedication and influence, Chevrolet Motor Division manufactured 50 special "MALCOLM KONNER COMMEMORATIVE EDITION" Corvettes. It is the only time General Motors ever recognized a dealer by producing a vehicle bearing an individual's name. Not surprisingly, the Malcolm Konner corvettes have become collector's items. One of them was donated by the Konner Family for permanent display at the "National Corvette Museum" in Bowling Green, Kentucky. "
    Also here is another picture I have.
    Sorry its not bigger
    Erik
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    aaron those 4+3 cars were half a sec slower then the automatic cars. That is part of the reason there are so few. Also, to engage the electronic overdrive you would have to press down on the top of the shifter which ment if you held the shifter like a ball like most people do you were constantly shutting on and off the overdrive. Also to go through 7 gears up through 4 then back down almost like a chain was no easy task.
    Erik

22. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    When (if ever) did vettes stop using ZF 6 spds?

23. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The Vette stopped using the ZF 6-speed in 1996. Very good trannies but parts are very exensive, and synchros are a known weak point. It was a hit or miss (no pun intended) situation, some trannies went forever and others like the one in my ZR-1 needed sychros at less than 10k miles! It's important to make sure the clutch is disengaging completely or the synchros will work overtime and wear out quickly. It was a super heavy duty trans but not the best for drag racing unless heavily modified. It was built more for road racing. In 1997 with the C5 the vette got a transaxle so no more ZF...although I heard they worked on a version of this too. But in the end GM went with a cheaper supplier (surprise huh?). Relations between GM and ZF is in the dumpster now.

24. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I don't think there are to many places that are qualified to work on the ZF either off hand.I may be wrong there though.Isn't the C5's 6 speed similar to that of the viper's?I think it's the same company.

25. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The ZF trans from the ZR-1 was also used by Aston Martin I forget on which model though but I think it was there 500hp supercar from the mid 90's. The car was kind of boxy looking.
    Erik