Driving gloves????????????? | FerrariChat

Driving gloves?????????????

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by F360@20, Feb 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Really, how many of you when you go out for a planned(or not)drive wear driving gloves?

And if so why?

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i won't back a car out of the driveway without driving gloves... They're an essential part of my every day... When i DON'T have a car, i carry them with me in my back pocket anyway, JUST IN CASE i might drive someone else's car...

Go buy a pair ($25/Wilson's Leather; $10/flea market) and try them out... Guaranteed, after a week of use, you'll never drive "naked" again...

3. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I bought some silly leather ferrari ones. They're under my seat (I thnk). Used them for karting once (I know, I know).

I find gloves to be worthless for all practical purposes. Unless you suffer from hydrosansis or whatever it's called (a friend of mine who did formula bmw has said issues), it's just an unnecessary added layer. Point the vents at your hands and turn the fan on.

--Dan

4. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    1.No driving gloves
    2.No Members Only jackets
    3.No Gold Rimmed Aviator (pilot style ) sunglasses
    4.No Gold Chains around your neck with dress shirts open and untucked

Just say NO !

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    You forgot to mention that you can only date girls named, "Babette"

DL

6. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Too funny! I am with you 1000%!!!!

No offense to anyone, but the only folks I've seen that wear "driving gloves" are folks who don't really know how to drive, but like to appear to. You can always operate a vehicle better with bare hands than gloves.

7. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Mike: track aside, whole-heartedly agree.

--Dan

8. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    No gloves, that is just childish. Besides, I usually whipe the wheel down anyway to get the prints off before I get caught.

9. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Driving gloves... no!

Randolph HGU4/P's(MIL-S-25948H) 52mm ... yes

- Gabe

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    they can help keep the wear down on the steering wheel leather,by keeping the oils from you skin off the leather,which is a good thing. Driving gloves..not nessasary unless your driving a car with a wooden steering wheel.

11. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I use them on the track only, never with regular driving (except for this one REALLY cold day...).

Funny though, I *always* wore them when driving motorcycles... Not only a protection/warmth thing, but also very much a "feel" thing. More uniform grip, inconsitencies in the feel of the handlebar were a non-issue, and the gloves did some to help dampen the vibration.

12. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I always wear driving gloves in the Alfa -- with the lacquer finish wooden steering wheel.

Most modern sports cars put the leather on the wheel, rather than on your hands. But the wheel cover wears out in about a decade of use. (Faster if you drive in humid conditions.) The Alfa's out-lasted three pair of gloves.

And it's easier to replace gloves than wheel covers. ;)

But the main advantage to gloves is that they don't sit out in the sun, heating up. The Alfa's wooden wheel doesn't get all that hot, and the gloves insulate your hands. But the leather covered wheel gets too hot to handle, especially when you leave the top down/off.

13. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    I always wear them at the track, and they are the absolute bightest colored gloves I can find so that when I make a hand signal (pitting, slowing, point-by, NOT single finger saluting) there is a good chance my hand signal will be seen.

On the street sometimes, depending upon the particular car and the temperature. Most of the time when the car has a glossy wood wheel and/or metal shift ball.

Kind Regards, Chris

14. Omerta

Omerta Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    WHere I live it gets cold in the winter. If my car is indoors, then I will not use gloves, but itf it sits outside overnight when it is cold, ill use gloves until the wheel and shifter are warm (i can hear it now....'What a baby!") lol