328 versus 348.....Which is the better car? | FerrariChat

328 versus 348.....Which is the better car?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by RAMMER, Feb 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Greetings! Here goes my first post.....Ferrari 348's get a bad rapp for some reason while the 328 is mostly thought of as a great car but how do they stack up as far as 1) Interior room. I remember sitting in a 328 some time ago and found it cramped (I am 6'1, large frame). The pedal offset was severe and my size 13 wide shoes had a hard time getting to the accelerator. I also sat in an f355 (similar to the 348) and it seemed much roomier. Are 328's as cramped as I remember? 2-Air conditioning...Can they keep one cool here in Miami? 3- Scheduled maintenace...which is cheaper to run? Finally, 4- Reliability....I have read the 328 is reliable but how about the 348?? Thanks in advance, your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Rammer, welcome to the forum. Our expert on all things Ferrari (particularly used) Martin of Cavallino Motors is in Germany on family matters. As soon as he returns, expect a detailed reply to your questions and he may have a 328 or 348 in his inventory there in Miami.

From what I've observed, Ferrari purists love the 328. The model was seen as a step forward from the 308, more power, more muscular stance, etc. Asthetically, I would agree with this and gauging from what I've seen at
    concourses, the 328 is always a solid choice as 328s have won Best of Show
    on at least two occasions that I may recall. At one time, several of the finest 328s in the country were right here in Florida, a few of them are still around.

The 348 was generally panned by purists as a step backwards but I know many people (some in this forum) who have them and they love the car. The last FORZA I bought some time ago slated the 348 in no uncertain terms. I cant recall the particulars of this but it stemmed mainly from the design and mechanicals and I thought some of the criticisms were a bit severe.

BHW

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

As a recent 348 buyer, I was in the same situation. I was leaning toward the 328 because of all the "good press" surrounding the car and its rock-solid reliability. As a first Ferrari, I didn't want to get into an enormous money pit (of course, that's a relative word in the this area, huh?).

Anyway, a very long conversation with Martin (@ Cav) convinced me the 348 was the right car for a numnber of reasons. I'll try to summarize, but really, I suggest you speak with Martin personally:

1. The 348 is a much more "modern" car with modern injection systems, engineering, and convienences. Things like ABS were standard on all 348's -- instead of just the latter 328s.

2. The 348 reliability varies BY CAR. Find a good one, maintain it properly, and it'll be as rock solid as the best 328.

3. Looks? Depends on your taste. For me, the 348 is beautiful, and the 328 just looks like an updated 308 (duh.). Yes, the 328 is gorgeous, but in my eye, the 348 wins.

4. Cost to maintain? Sheesh... what's a few "K" difference among friends? I don't know -- and thanks to Mike Grande @ LNS, I hope to have many years/miles before I need to worry about it.

5. Ultimately, who cares?!?! Just get the car you love, spend some $, and live your dream! I can already tell you this 348 might be my first Ferrari, but it darn sure won't be my last!!!

Just my 23 cents.

-Daniel

4. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    This item has been discussed extensively before. I had the same question when I was in the market for my first Ferrari.
    The 348 is without doubt a better car. But the 328 is cheaper in maintenance. You can also spend a week discussing about the difference in "looks" and "styling". In the end it's just up to you! Which one do you like the most?
    There is not that much difference in the size of the interior. What I personally don't like about the 348 is that my legs are in front of some important instruments in the middle console. But on the other end when I put the 328 in first gear I pull the stick against my leg (I am over 6" too). Just go and testdrive them both.

just my € 0,02

Ton

5. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    I can speak from my experience of owning an 85 QV 308 and now a 348. I know the 328 was a better car than the 308 QV hands down. The 348 is a more modern car and the interior is larger than a 328. The 348 was built on a completely different frame and is an entirely different car. The steering column is adjustable in the 348 to a much better position than my QV. The 348 has more HP, anti lock brakes, and is a more advanced car than the 328. The 348 and the 355 are basically the same dimensionally. The 348 is to the 355 what the 328 is to the 308.

A/C will not be a problem in S Florida in a well maintained car. As previously stated, maintenance/mechanical problems will be determined by how well any car has been maintained.

I love my 348 and Martin had a large influence in my decision to buy one. No regrets!

6. Jim Riggs

Jim Riggs Karting

Jan 25, 2004
    Hey Rammer-
    A couple of months ago I was in the same position as you: torn between 328's and 348's. I really liked the '89 328 because it was the last in the 328 line and it had ABS brakes, but a good '89 328 seem to cost as much as a lot of 348's. The early 348's (pre '92) had a lot of problems, which were generally corrected in the later model versions. I ended up with a 348 series speciale and I'm quite happy with it. We had a earlier thread (2-19-04 "348 owners and potential owners" that lists a Forza magazine (#30) that does a very comprehensive analysis of 348 even though it is a couple of years old. If you are serious about 348's, invest $7 and get this article. If you like the styling of the 348, IMHO go for a well-maintained 348 that has not been prone to either mechanical or electrical problems. Good luck! Jim

7. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Good analogy. Completely agree.

8. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I disagree, the 328 is to the 308 what the 355 is to the 348. Both IMHO were step up in nearly every regard. Though the old school switches were pretty cool...

348vs 328, well it was a hands down choice for me. The 348 looks like a mini-TR lacking the TR's proper poportions. 355 changes were sutle but enough to balance out the design much more then the 348.

Between 3082 and 328s, both have something special, but I like the more flowing 328 with the longer appearing body to the more wedgy 308. (the rear looks much better on our 328s due to the bumper design, and IMO, same can be said for the front)

This just my opinion.

9. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Thanks for taking the time to shed light on the subject.

10. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Nice I am having influence :)

Here is my typical 328-348 speach:

and it has been said before!

As far as looks, well that is personal and I will not argue. I like them both.
    As far as the 328 being the last Enzo influenced Ferrari that is bull, that would be the 348, whos styling, engine engineerng etc began in the early 80s.

Reliability:

I had a 91TS with 22K Miles. The car was sold 3 years later with 43K Miles and has never left me stranded on the road, never given me any headack other than usual stuff. The 30K costs $4500 and I was stupid and burned through the flywheel ($5K with the new clutch).
    No electrical issue as most non-owners claim the 348s are plagued with. No other issues.

Comfort:
    At 6'4" I can safely say the 348 is the way to go. Yes you will hit your right knee against the center console until you get used to it and looking for the fuel level will require looking over your knee. Seating position is better in the 348 and the AC, well....the AC on a 328 is a joke. My 348 AC was cooling so good that my wife complained about it being too cold on occassion (which she never does).

Other than personal opinion on looks, the 348 wins in all categories.

I can not even offer you a 348 at this point other than a Spider. But I do have a 89 328GTS if you decide that is your choice.

Martin
    www.4Ferrari.com

11. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    Personally I like the looks of the 328 better

12. colo348

colo348 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi,
    I'll get in on this. 348 hands down. But, as you can see from my log in I'm biased.
    Keep in the fast lane,
    Jim